Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best External Hard-drive??

• 21-01-2011 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I've been looking to get an external hard-drive 1TB for college. Anyone have any idea what the best model would be? I've been looking at getting an Iomega as I've heard good things about them? I've seen a Buffalo one for sale in Harvey Norman but having asked around I haven't met anyone that has one. Any suggestions greatly appreciated :D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

there are little to differentiate if your just using for archive.

If your using daily external is not the best idea, get an internal

seagate, western digital, samsung, hitachi are the main ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

THis guy has them on Adverts
    http://www.adverts.ie/search/user-383463/status_active/type_all
    Quality drives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭NeedaNewName

I've been looking to get an external hard-drive 1TB for college. Anyone have any idea what the best model would be? I've been looking at getting an Iomega as I've heard good things about them? I've seen a Buffalo one for sale in Harvey Norman but having asked around I haven't met anyone that has one. Any suggestions greatly appreciated :D:D:D

Everyone has their horror stories about external drives. A Western Digital let me down once so I wouldn't go near them again. I tend to use seagate or Trancend. As I use portable externals, that I carry around with me daily, I use two of these a lot.

They are USB powered so no plug required.
    http://www.memoryc.com/products/description/500GB_Transcend_StoreJet_25M2_Mobile_External_2_5_inch_Hard_Drive_Shock_Resistant_USB2_0/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Make sure you get a 2.5" one, 3.5" will need a plug etc'.

For portables I like WD Passport drives I've had 160gigs, 200gigs, 500gig, and 1TB versions of them. Never a problem. They are very handy for college, small and compact. The cases on them don't offer much protection to the harddrive but mine have all survied the odd knock and fall.

I was going to say make sure you get a USB 3.0 drive as they are the same price as the the 2.0 and would be much handier for transfering larger files but having checked a few reviews I can see some people are having issues with them. If it was me I'd take the chance with the usb 3.0 as you can't trust that the people with issues arn't creating them themselves Still its something to be aware of.

Pixmania Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,504 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Everyone has their horror stories about external drives. A Western Digital let me down once so I wouldn't go near them again.

Any mechanical device can fail on day one or after several years, it's the luck of the draw. Western Digital has a market cap. (stock market value) of USD 7.25 billion, they wouldn't have reached the level they are at if they made crap products.

How can you rubbish a brand just because you had one failure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The maker of the disk inside the enclosure is of more importance than the maker of the enclosure. Disks do fail, more so than previously it seems, so if you have irreplaceable data, BACK-IT-UP.!!!!!!!!

a 2.5" disk apparently has some inbuilt protection against being dropped, but this should obviously be avoided

Advertisement