Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gap Year?

• 21-01-2011 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I am currently a Levaing Cert student. I have filled out my CAO and I know that the course I have down is the one that I really want to do. Only problem is that I really don't want to go to college next year. I won't be 17 until this May meaning that I'll spend a whole year in college before I'm 18. Not only that but unless I get a grant/scholarship I probably won't be able to afford college this year. For the last year or so I have been thinking about deferring my university course and taking a gap year. I hope to get a job locally so I can save for college but I don't want to just spend my year working. Any ideas on the type of things that I could do that would look good on my CV later? Or just ideas on how I could keep myself amused/develop new skills?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I would be very wary of it. If you do take a year out, spend it working, have a routine, earn money. Don't just sleep the year away because you won't go back the year after. I have a few friends who took a year out and basically never came back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Wouldn't be to inclined to do this,people often go working for a year decide to apply for a grant & get rejected beause they have money saved,this then can result in just not bothering with third level alltogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭happyfish

I'd definately reccomend it:DI was in the same position last year not wanting to go to college right away but I ended up going anyway(stupid me) and dropping out. The only thing I'd say is that it might be hard finding a job that has good hours pays well enough to have good savings...You can do a part time course in loads of subjects ,depending on where you live there should be one to interest you and look good on your cv or like working in an animal shelter or doing work experience.?the only bad thing is watching all your friends go off to college without you but its better than being in college and not enjoying it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭cairdre

Hi

I suggest you think very carefully about deferring for a number of reasons.

At the moment is is free fees (I know €2k registration) this may change by 2013.
    Any income you earn on your year out will be added to parents income in accessing you for a grant.
    If you are really thinking college is too expensive. Complete the HEAR part of your CAO application. If you get into a 3rd level college through HEAR they give an additional scholarship and supports.
    As others mention easy to drift into a different lifestyle and never get to UNI.

Keep all your options open at the moment and remember fees are coming in. 2011 may be the last year before they hit big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

• Advertisement
Advertisement