Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of joining the Royal Marines

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Sean33 wrote: »
    How long are you deployed for at a time? Is Afghanistan the only place you are going to be deployed or do you also do peacekeeping in Africa (like the FFL) and other places?

Ive read that deployments in Afghanistan are for only 6 months. What do you do for the rest of the year?

say 'only 6 months' when you've been there. your service life will be training to go back, and other deployments.

Afghanistan takes about 14 months - all the build-up training, the deployment itself, the post-tour leave and decompression, then the post-deployment shakedown that gets everyone back into the swing of things. then there's courses to go on, keeping up skills that fall outside the Afghanistan-centred revolving tour machine, maybe being the Spearhead Bn for 6 months, adventure training, then a big, brigade level exercise in Norway, Canada or Kenya for a few months - then, given that 3Cdo Bde get an Afghan tour every 2.5 - 3 years, it'll be time to start again. outside of that there's the fleet protection role, Faslane, posting at CTCRM Lympstone and a million and one other things that the RM do.

what you won't be doing is sitting around playing with yourself because you're bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kiddd94

alex18 wrote: »
    Been great so far. Yea, I'd definately recommend it to anyone.

Firstly training is 8 months long, not 6 months.

Secondly there is no fighting in Iraq, it is all in Afghanistan. And yes, as a Royal Marine you are almost certainally going to be sent to Afghanistan. Some people get sent their straight after training but others will wait a year or so.

A lot. Just as much if not more than some guys in WW2

Firstly, do some research. You have already shown you don't know what happens in Iraq or how long the training is. Those are the type of questions you'll be asked in selection.

The Royal Marine website is very good. Best thing to do is go down to your nearest careers office and get the ball rolling.
    Hey , my name is paul ,im 17 ,i live in ireland ,and im interested in joining the royal marines . Im currently on summer holidays and im planning on joining after i complete my leaving cert in june 2012 . I was wondering when would i apply so i could begin basic training when i finish school ? also would the fact that im irish have any effect on whether i get in or not ? I ,ve researched the Royal Marines in detail and im very interseted in it as it provides alot of opportunitys - fitness , mental strength etc . Any information would be appreciated :) . Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

Sean33 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

Ive just turned 18 and I'm thinking of joining the Royal Marines. I have English passport so I'm technically English.

My main reasons behind wanting to join is the training and character building.

I have a few questions tho. How long is the minimum time is required to be in the army? Are the Royal Marines still deployed in Iraq? Will I be guaranteed to see combat?

I'm in decent shape, I do quite a bit of sport. I'm rather skinny tho at 68kg 5'10.

Would I be likely to put on a lot of muscle and get in shape after all the training?

Thanks.
    There's no such thing as an " English " passport :D. Don't worry, you'll just be perfect for the Brits.

british-passport.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

There's no such thing as an " English " passport :D. Don't worry, you'll just be perfect for the Brits.

LOL (!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

And it only took you 6 months to come up with that.... who said the legendary wit of the Irish is dead.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Kiddd94 wrote: »
    Hey , my name is paul ,im 17 ,i live in ireland ,and im interested in joining the royal marines . Im currently on summer holidays and im planning on joining after i complete my leaving cert in june 2012 . I was wondering when would i apply so i could begin basic training when i finish school ? also would the fact that im irish have any effect on whether i get in or not ? I ,ve researched the Royal Marines in detail and im very interseted in it as it provides alot of opportunitys - fitness , mental strength etc . Any information would be appreciated :) . Thanks

I'd say get the application process started by Christmas. Right now with waiting times due to cut backs you're looking at anywhere from potentially 8-12 months from starting the application to beginning RT. What's your fitness like? Joining the RMs is certainly not a doddle, I wouldn't recommend starting the application until you can run 3 miles in 20-21 minutes, do 60 situps in 2 minutes and do 40-50 pushups in 2 minutes, both with what's considered "perfect form" by the PTIs.

Check out their site, the forums and the "Get Fit" section, they're all very good.

RMD wrote: »
    I'd say get the application process started by Christmas. Right now with waiting times due to cut backs you're looking at anywhere from potentially 8-12 months from starting the application to beginning RT. What's your fitness like? Joining the RMs is certainly not a doddle, I wouldn't recommend starting the application until you can run 3 miles in 20-21 minutes, do 60 situps in 2 minutes and do 40-50 pushups in 2 minutes, both with what's considered "perfect form" by the PTIs.

Check out their site, the forums and the "Get Fit" section, they're all very good.

Thanks , if i ring up how long will it be before i can get an interview in belfast because i live in ireland . ?

Don't know man, depends entirely on how busy they are. Best bet is just to ring them and find out.

Rang up :) . . .how long does it take for them to post out the application pack to me ? ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭effluent

Rang up :) . . .how long does it take for them to post out the application pack to me ? ?

You should have it within seven working days.

Thanks , are you sure , I live in Ireland so will it be the same ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

most importantly lads whats the money like? afterall that is the main reason an irish person would risk there life for the British who along with the americans are terrorists, laugh if you want but its true.

imagine invading people's countrys finding and killing 2 of the main culprits who started the war and then continuing to stay there as they really there for the money i.e the oil.

the british and americans are doing what the british done to us.

The money's not great. Start on £16,681 a year, which will continually rise up to a maximum of £28000 roughly if not promoted, if promoted to Corporal you'll be on anywhere from £27000 to £32500.

There's no point coming in here throwing around that bollox it's all about the money because you're stereotyping an entire group, and there's many who that's not true for. If you want to discuss the political side of the war there's an entire sub-forum to do so. This is a thread for info or discussion of the BA and who's interested in joining, it doesn't need to be derailed into some typical "West Brits" Vs "Barstool Republican" thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

most importantly lads whats the money like? afterall that is the main reason an irish person would risk there life for the British .....

I didn't realise it was full of millionaires.

I just love the irony of a Manchester United supporter giving out about the 'terrorists' in Britain.

Are you related to NotoForeignGamesRSFstyle.jpg this lad by any chance??

My 2000th post

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    I didn't realise it was full of millionaires.

no one said it was, but people do it to make a living you sarcastic cat so if you are going to risk your life the money would want to be a better than your average job dont ya think?

I just love the irony of a Manchester United supporter giving out about the 'terrorists' in Britain.
    football isnt quite the same as murdering innocent people and invading countrys is it.

But the thing is a lot of people don't join for the money. Realistically one who works hard can make twice they amount they pay 2-3 years out of college and wont be risking their lives. What draws me to the RMs is to be part of a regiment known for their fitness and extremely high standards, to be spending a lot of my time outdoors doing interesting tasks / activities instead of sitting in a cubicle pushing numbers. To be something I've wanted to be since I was a kid, some people can't stand the idea of civilian life, me for one. I'm not joining for the honestly shíte wages or the chance to go to war and shoot people, I'm going to join because it's one of the only jobs I know I'll actually like doing.

RMD wrote: »
    But the thing is a lot of people don't join for the money. Realistically one who works hard can make twice they amount they pay 2-3 years out of college and wont be risking their lives. What draws me to the RMs is to be part of a regiment known for their fitness and extremely high standards, to be spending a lot of my time outdoors doing interesting tasks / activities instead of sitting in a cubicle pushing numbers. To be something I've wanted to be since I was a kid, some people can't stand the idea of civilian life, me for one. I'm not joining for the honestly shíte wages or the chance to go to war and shoot people, I'm going to join because it's one of the only jobs I know I'll actually like doing.

thats fair and valid point, iv applied for the irish defence force in the past as the physical and fitness side of things really appealed to me aswell as actually doing peace keeping in war torn countrys etc.

im just against what the americans and british are doing thats why i would never work for them its just a personal opinion i just don't support killing in any way unless in self defence if you have to, but when you invade other people's countrys your kind of looking for trouble and these rebels who are made out to be the bad guys all because there trying to stop the invasion which is the western culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

no one said it was, but people do it to make a living you sarcastic cat so if you are going to risk your life the money would want to be a better than your average job dont ya think?...l

Market forces decide pay, not what's fair or worthy. General soldiering has always been a relatively low paid occupation.

thats fair and valid point, iv applied for the irish defence force in the past as the physical and fitness side of things really appealed to me aswell as actually doing peace keeping in war torn countrys etc.

im just against what the americans and british are doing thats why i would never work for them its just a personal opinion i just don't support killing in any way unless in self defence if you have to, but when you invade other people's countrys your kind of looking for trouble and these rebels who are made out to be the bad guys all because there trying to stop the invasion which is the western culture.

You don't support killing, yet you want to join the defence forces.

Ok.

• Advertisement

I don't agree with the war either, but do remember these rebels want to implement an extremely strict interpretation of Sharia law where a lot of basic civil liberties aren't allowed such as most forms of technology, they have no care for women's rights and they'll happily butcher anyone who doesn't agree with their viewpoint. In the most recent figure taken, the Taliban caused 76% of civilian deaths in the Afghanistan war.

They're not exactly a noble bunch fighting for Afghani freedom, they're fighting to bring Afghanistan under their control and enforce what they believe is right on Afghanistan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭Welshman666

Just thought I'd add to this post by saying,

Most people in Ireland do their Leaving Cert, with a Leaving Cert (with reasonable grades of course) you can be an Officer (or atleast apply to be an officer).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

You do know the Irish defence force are in Afghanistan as well don't you? If you joined the PDF and were ordered to Kabul are you saying you would refuse to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭effluent

effluent wrote: »
    You should have it within seven working days.

Yeah I got my pack after 5 working days.

Actually something stuck out when I was reading it. It said that I must be living within the UK before I could start the applicant process, this was highlighted in bold and you'd have to send proof of the address.

I thought that you could start the application while living in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Fairplay OP if you end up going through with it. My uncle was in the RM's aswell:). I often toy with the idea of enlisting after I finish my degree but I dunno how much I have romanticized the idea in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭delta-boy

Anyone know where I can get their application pack page? I cant seem to find it on the RM website.

Sent off my application form last thursday . How long until i get a reply ? Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Sent off my application form last thursday . How long until i get a reply ? Cheers

Dunno, but I got a reply sharpish (next day) on contacting the local (for me, C Coy) 4 para recruitment sergeant. That wasn't an application form mind you, but a request for information on upcoming intake dates. Point is, I imagine you wont be long in hearing back.

Goes without saying; best of luck!

Sound , whats next ? Medical , fitness test ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

dont know if it counts,but i was in the merchant marines

• Advertisement

Remmy wrote: »
    Fairplay OP if you end up going through with it. My uncle was in the RM's aswell:). I often toy with the idea of enlisting after I finish my degree but I dunno how much I have romanticized the idea in my head.

Why not go on one of the "look at life" courses they run? Not sure if they are called that, but you get a week on base with a ton of guys in your position and they pay for the flights. I found it was a nice way to spend reading week :D

effluent wrote: »
    Yeah I got my pack after 5 working days.

Actually something stuck out when I was reading it. It said that I must be living within the UK before I could start the applicant process, this was highlighted in bold and you'd have to send proof of the address.

I thought that you could start the application while living in Ireland.

Don't mind that, it's fine. They said the same for the Army Officers pack but they realistically mean UK and Ireland, and Gibraltar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

discus wrote: »
    Why not go on one of the "look at life" courses they run? Not sure if they are called that, but you get a week on base with a ton of guys in your position and they pay for the flights. I found it was a nice way to spend reading week :D

I looked it up it looks like it would give you a nice snapshot as life as a RM.

Did you go through it?How did you find it?I'd say your fitness would have to be on point.By the looks of the youtube vid they do all the same tests as th prmc.

Sorry, I did it for a different unit - the Royal Artillery. It wasn't as physical, although we did a fair bit of battle PT and gymnastics.

Advertisement