Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sci phone or htc ?

Options
  • 21-01-2011 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

hi ive recently been told about the sci phone a chinese copy of the Iphone im only going to spend around 250 on a phone and was wondering would this be a good buy or would I be better off with something like the htc wildfire ? Ive heard a few horror storys about the sci phone and was just wondering is this just scare mongering to keep iphone sales up or are they actually just very bad phones ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

well my gf just got the samsung wave and I really like that so would be looking for something similar, basically the best spec possible for that money ideally id love the iphone4 but for the best part of 500 euro they can keep it, ive heard mixed reviews about htc, my brother has the htc smart and says its always glitching, although I like the look of the wildfire and the fact its android sells it even more. I was going to go for the sci phone because i thought it would be near as good as the iphone but seems thats just me being over optimistic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

superfish wrote: »
    well my gf just got the samsung wave and I really like that so would be looking for something similar, basically the best spec possible for that money ideally id love the iphone4 but for the best part of 500 euro they can keep it, ive heard mixed reviews about htc, my brother has the htc smart and says its always glitching, although I like the look of the wildfire and the fact its android sells it even more. I was going to go for the sci phone because i thought it would be near as good as the iphone but seems thats just me being over optimistic :D

You should look on Adverts for a good cheap high-spec smart phone. If you want, you can gave my Wildfire for 160. ;)

LukeS_ wrote: »
    You should look on Adverts for a good cheap high-spec smart phone. If you want, you can gave my Wildfire for 160. ;)

im in mayo if the phones made of gold il consider the 3 hour journey :D thanks for the offer though really sound of ya. what do you think of the phone is it any good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

Justva suggestion ha ha. Erm well being honest, I didn't really like it too much. It always lagged doing everything even like trying to type on the keyboard for a message. I would have the whole message typed out and it would look like a ghost is still typing the message it was that far behind. Also the screen is very bad resolution and the quality is just poor. Hence why I got rid of it and now have my HD2 running Android 2.2. :D That I got on adverts for like 240E. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Stay away from all clone phones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

The sciphone only looks like an iphone.

Software very very basic, camera poor, everything poor.

Only suggest for kids to have a phone that looks like an iphone. Under 10s phone.

ok so did loads of research and they both ****e wildfire too slow and sci phone just rubbish so looks like its the htc desire or an iphone for 400 to 500 quid :eek:
    funny thing is i was looking on done deal and people seem to charge more than the shops do lol eg nokia c3 is 99 euro in carphone warehouse an some one asking for 130 ?? then htc desire is 429 an some one asking 500, maybe these people are famous so it adds value to them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You can just go buy desire off proper dealers like www.clove.co.uk for £342 inc vat. That's the baseline price for brand new one, anyone selling second hand should be a lot less than that.

srsly78 wrote: »
    You can just go buy desire off proper dealers like www.clove.co.uk for £342 inc vat. That's the baseline price for brand new one, anyone selling second hand should be a lot less than that.

wow really good website is it trustworthy ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

I know there are advantages to buying sim-free phones, but I think that once you get into the territory of spending €400+ on a phone you might be better off with a monthly contract, assuming you are currently on PAYG. Meteor/e-mobile probably have the best deals. E-mobile have the HTC Desire for €89, with a contract of 12*19 = 228... which is a total of €317, including all land line calls and 100 mins of mobile calls per month. If you need data you would need to add 120 (10 per month for 1Gb).

And I feel compelled to add I have no connection with e-mobile. Personally, I can't quite justify a monthly contract.

If you don't want a contract, the Sony X8 on Vodafone is a good deal, for it's price... 90 to switch... 110 for an upgrade.

It's not a miracle phone,
    Poor 3Mp camera.
    Stuck on Android 2.1 with no prospect of an upgrade from Sony (though googling suggests that there's enough interest by xda developers to possibly get 2.2 onto it at some point).
    Only white available in Ireland (limited black versions in some countries)

but... at the price, it seems a nice phone. I am tempted. You can do worse.

Ix.

ixtlan wrote: »
    I know there are advantages to buying sim-free phones, but I think that once you get into the territory of spending €400+ on a phone you might be better off with a monthly contract, assuming you are currently on PAYG. Meteor/e-mobile probably have the best deals. E-mobile have the HTC Desire for €89, with a contract of 12*19 = 228... which is a total of €317, including all land line calls and 100 mins of mobile calls per month. If you need data you would need to add 120 (10 per month for 1Gb).

And I feel compelled to add I have no connection with e-mobile. Personally, I can't quite justify a monthly contract.

If you don't want a contract, the Sony X8 on Vodafone is a good deal, for it's price... 90 to switch... 110 for an upgrade.

It's not a miracle phone,
    Poor 3Mp camera.
    Stuck on Android 2.1 with no prospect of an upgrade from Sony (though googling suggests that there's enough interest by xda developers to possibly get 2.2 onto it at some point).
    Only white available in Ireland (limited black versions in some countries)

but... at the price, it seems a nice phone. I am tempted. You can do worse.

Ix.
    thanks for the advice but ive had bill pay twice before and it never ends well with me so i swore id never get one again an ya its a lot of money for a phone im still considering should i get it because it will be coming from my credit card lol. at the mo ive a samsung tocco it was a great phone but deffo time for an upgrade as ive never had android before i want to get it on a really good phone so i dont get put off. the htc desire seems to be about the best phone out at the moment its even better spec than the i phone from what i have seen on comparison websites

Advertisement