Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaelforce west 20/8/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Had planned never to do GF again after this year but now ... just seen this on the site :

Gaelforce West 2012 date announced

- August 18th 2012 -

"New for 2012 Gaelforce West EXTREME (Details to follow)"

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

2 stars (poor)
    Just a question to some of you peeps about bike choice on this race.

Now its not about tire choice but on which bike would be more suited to the course. I have an old Giant SCR 3.0 which I'd be fairly fearless on the rough sections with or an 18 month old Trek 2.1 which I'd probably be nursing a little cos its my new baby.

The Trek is by far faster but would the unsealed sections be to much for it. Or am I being mammy to it and need to know that loads of people bring their more expencive bikes through the course

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Kander wrote: »

Now its not about tire choice but on which bike would be more suited to the course. I have an old Giant SCR 3.0 which I'd be fairly fearless on the rough sections with or an 18 month old Trek 2.1 which I'd probably be nursing a little cos its my new baby.

The Trek is by far faster but would the unsealed sections be to much for it. Or am I being mammy to it and need to know that loads of people bring their more expencive bikes through the course
    There arent enough rough patches to worry about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Triptych

Due to injury I'm not going to be able to do Gaelforce this year. However, I'm going to be in Westport anyway and thought I might try and get a personal interest in the race by having a bet on the winner:D

Does anyone know if any of the local bookies are offering odds? Surely if you can get odds on GAA club games then an event this competitive and open must also be marked up? Or is this still unknown territory for bookies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

As it was pissing rain this evening and I was going for a run anyway I wore my rain jacket I intended to use for the race, just as well. As soon as I stepped outside I had my concerns as there was no beading affect whatsoever. My concerns grew within a couple of hundred metres, I felt my chest getting wet and by the time I was returning home I was soaked to the skin with the jacket sticking to me giving me that horrible wet cold feeling.

It was a Lidl special, their crivit brand or whatever so I knew not to expect much but it could have at least made an effort. Rather know now though instead of having four and a half hours of a race ahead of me.

I had a proper expensive brand in my hands a couple of weeks ago at half price but I thought I wouldn't need it, back on the hunt again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mountain Rescue

Done the first 14k run today,very difficult under foot,the first 2k is that climb from the beach rally takes the breath out of you,its another 2.5 k then to the start of the off road section,which is a nice run, lots of down hills,its then 2.5k of S#*T surface,very wet very muddy and very slippy,no point in tryin to avoid boggy sections to much,better just to plough through (with caution:)).its then about another 2k of a dirt road thats not bad under foot,about 4 k road running which was a welcomed break and finally just over 1k dirt trail which was tough under foot, very wet and boggy,its a tough 14k i guess thats the fun of it,

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Rusty Rothar

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Tried it last weekend on Sunday with the bad weather, ended parking up near the peek and it took about 40 mins to the peak and back to the car, dont think thats ideal preparation for GF

Thanks, I'll try it from Kilmacanogue on Sunday. Is the trail easy to follow from Kilmacanogue?

If you start from the Glencormac pub, cross the road and head towards the GAA club.

Then follow the road until you reach some bushes and follow the trail. It eventually sweeps around to where people start climbing from the car park

Thanks for the info, just back from it now! Found the track alright behind the GAA pitch, something I should have been doing two months ago! Not too happy with how the climb went but at least I still had the legs for the 30k cycle home afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Rusty Rothar

Fi H wrote: »
    Kander wrote: »

There arent enough rough patches to worry about it!

If you're worried about time definitely go with the better bike, as said there aren't enough bad sections to worry too much. Sure you can always throw it on your shoulder and run down that section of road after Croagh Patrick ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 joe1982

I done my last big work out yesterday, Started with a 14k hilly run at a easy pace in 1.15 and a 50km rolling hill cycle in about 1.30 averging 32km hour.

Legs seemed ok for the cycle, maybe a little bit heavy on climbing but still noting that would ever make me consider getting off the bike.
    I also felt that I still had enough left for cp.

So my question is have I done enough to break 5hrs, last week I climbed cp my quickest and that was after a good hilly cycle, I done it in 53 mins up and down and I stuck to the path, I think its just to easy to go over when coming straight down.

Also on the rain jacket I think It is almost imposible train in them never mind race, would good quality layers be ok that dry quickly because im often out cycling in the rain and have noting but a cycling jersey on and I never get cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

joe1982 wrote: »
    I done my last big work out yesterday, Started with a 14k hilly run at a easy pace in 1.15 and a 50km rolling hill cycle in about 1.30 averging 32km hour.

Legs seemed ok for the cycle, maybe a little bit heavy on climbing but still noting that would ever make me consider getting off the bike.
    I also felt that I still had enough left for cp.

So my question is have I done enough to break 5hrs, last week I climbed cp my quickest and that was after a good hilly cycle, I done it in 53 mins up and down and I stuck to the path, I think its just to easy to go over when coming straight down.

Also on the rain jacket I think It is almost imposible train in them never mind race, would good quality layers be ok that dry quickly because im often out cycling in the rain and have noting but a cycling jersey on and I never get cold.

That should get you under 5 hours if all goes well.

Agree with you on rain jacket. It will be staying wrapped up unless the rain is horizontal.

• Advertisement

carrying a rain/windproof jacket is mandatory, wearing it isnt :D its more to do with what happens if you injure yourself and are stuck somewhere foor a while i reckon then the actual rain!
    anyway its my lasting experience at races that no one ever checks mandatory kit and therefore theres no point in having it!

i find it really annoying when you see people who clearly have nothing with them!

its either mandatory or a suggestion for sensible people ;) it cant be both!!

the only race that ever checked anything is the art oneill challenge...i can understand why!

I don't know, there's a lot to be said for keeping dry, particularly on the bike where wind chill can be a big factor. If it's just a bit of light rain I don't bother either but it's good for the heavy stuff, there's been a couple of occasions when I've stuck mine on in the pissing rain.

Fi, people could have their stuff in their pockets on cycling jerseys, plenty of space for mandatory kit in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

2 stars (poor)
    I would usually have all my kit with my except for the bike stuff ofc. I just put a put of effort into making it as small and light as I can safely get away with.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I don't know, there's a lot to be said for keeping dry, particularly on the bike where wind chill can be a big factor. If it's just a bit of light rain I don't bother either but it's good for the heavy stuff, there's been a couple of occasions when I've stuck mine on in the pissing rain.

Fi, people could have their stuff in their pockets on cycling jerseys, plenty of space for mandatory kit in there.

I totally agree that theres a lot of experienced people out there who have condensed their kit into such a small size it fits in their jersey but there are always the gaa shorts brigade who turn up in a t-shirt with nothing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

i was disqualified the year I did it because of kit violation.I could understand a time penalty but DQ? OTT imo. The bastards ! Esp as most of the faster lads had feck all bar the shirts on their backs,why did they pick on Percy? What in reality would a whistle do for you if you broke a leg anyway? Maybe keep you entertained while you wait for the ambulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

Speaking as someone who competes at the top end of the field when I race, I always have the mandatory gear. As far as I can tell, so do all the others. Just because it doesn't fill a 30 litre rucksack doesn't mean we don't have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Calling organisers bastards because you didn't have the mandatory gear?

CP can be a dangerous mtn in crap weather. You go off route and break your leg, you'll be glad you had a whistle. Is it likely?

Of course not but a missing competitor would be a nightmare for organisers

The mandatory kit is bleeding tiny, it fits into just a 'shirt on your back.;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

sorry about that horse. Il write out 100 times " I must not refer to GF organisers as bastards" The bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

3 stars (average)
    Got out and had my first ever 14km run today. Went up around howth head. Very similar ground to that of gf and very hilly too. Done in 1:40. Last year I couldn't even run 5km so I better have a better time this year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

Just for clarification, does the jacket have to be waterproof and wind proof? I have a running jacket (which I used last year) that is waterproof if your running, but I’d imagine nothing short of a wax jacket would keep you dry on CP if it’s pouring down and your sitting/sitting still.
    Is there a middle ground?

Also, I’d have to agree the kit requirements are tiny and there is no excuse for not bringing it. I’ll be throwing mine into a rucksack, but if I wasn’t such a hungry/thirsty chap I’d throw the kit into a pocket.

• Advertisement

Mossess wrote: »
    Just for clarification, does the jacket have to be waterproof and wind proof? I have a running jacket (which I used last year) that is waterproof if your running, but I’d imagine nothing short of a wax jacket would keep you dry on CP if it’s pouring down and your sitting/sitting still.
    Is there a middle ground?

Also, I’d have to agree the kit requirements are tiny and there is no excuse for not bringing it. I’ll be throwing mine into a rucksack, but if I wasn’t such a hungry/thirsty chap I’d throw the kit into a pocket.

I reckon your jacket should be fine :)

With ya on the hungry/ thirsty front :) I know from talking to some of the better guys some of them dont eat or drink much at all....but I am thinking lots of experience lets you plan for what you actually need rather than hefting the lot about with you all day!

I had a rediculous amount of food with me last year cause i was afraid i wouldnt eat enough and get to the end but this year i am finding i know much more when to eat and how much and therefore will be bringing a lot less - including no sandwiches for the top of CP this time hehehhee!

thehamo wrote: »
    Got out and had my first ever 14km run today. Went up around howth head. Very similar ground to that of gf and very hilly too. Done in 1:40. Last year I couldn't even run 5km so I better have a better time this year!!!

Fair play! Sounds like you are progressing a lot!

Mandatory kit is hammered into you, no excuses. For the races last year I wore a camel back, but for all the ones this year everything I needed fitted into my jersey pockets and I left my fluids on the bike. For GF this year I'm just bringing a small bum bag which carries a bottle as the bike is a bit further away than normal.

And if you fall down a ditch or ravine, or simply get lost, a whistle will help people find you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

4 stars (good)
    11 days to go...

Will it ever come!! fed up with training at this point. Just want race day to come!!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

4 stars (good)
    well with 2 weeks to go i finally decided to pump my tyres again!!! bike goes away faster with air in the tyres!!:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

3 stars (average)
    My first one this year 4 of us doing it cant imagine we will be much under 6.5 hours though, really looking forward to it now.

Shoes.
    thinking of the trail runners for the running and switching to Bike shoes on the Bike, Clets. I know the section after CP will be terrible and may stay in the trail runners till I hit the road, but I recon the time I'll make by wearing them will be worth it.
    Any one else doing the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheEagles

Just woundering will gaelforce be emailing anymore information to us or is that it now till the registration day??

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Granite Head

Mossess wrote: »
    Shoes.
    thinking of the trail runners for the running and switching to Bike shoes on the Bike, Clets. I know the section after CP will be terrible and may stay in the trail runners till I hit the road, but I recon the time I'll make by wearing them will be worth it.
    Any one else doing the same?

Doing the same but won't be changing back to bike shoes after CP - will be walking part of the skelp and also there is a run of @300 mtrs at the end

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Advertisement

Doing the same but won't be changing back to bike shoes after CP - will be walking part of the skelp and also there is a run of @300 mtrs at the end

I haven't tried cycling on the pedals with regular shoes yet, but I imagine it's going to be slippy, so for that last road section, the section whereby the endorphins are screaming and roaring through my body firing me on to the finish line with a smile on my face I'll flip back to bike shoes.

(seriously though, isn't that last road section the easiest, or rather most enjoyable, you know the end is coming and you can give it a Everything)

as for the last 300 metres, I think it's 500 metres, but it felt like 5k last year (to me :) )

Advertisement