Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaelforce west 20/8/2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

The last road section after the scelp is very short, just 6km. I can’t see anyone making up the time lost by changing shoes twice. It's possible to cycle all of the scelp but might be tricky with trail shoes on spds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    The last road section after the scelp is very short, just 6km. I can’t see anyone making up the time lost by changing shoes twice. It's possible to cycle all of the scelp but might be tricky with trail shoes on spds

It's no problem with trail shoes on flats with clips. I wouldn't say it be a problem with SPDs either.

That last road section might be short on paper, but its a long way if you're trying to hold/gain a position from someone nearby!

Don't forget to factor in cycling with a second pair of shoes in your bag when your assessing the disadvantages of shoe swapping. For reference, no-one at the top end of the field does shoe swaps (IIRC). The time lost isn't worth it. Trail shoes with clips all the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

4 stars (good)
    I've put 2 carabiner's on my camelbak and just hang the runners off them. Speed laces on the runners, it literally takes 10 seconds to change. I have good threads on the trail runners and I won't be changing after the reek, don't think it's worth it for the final 6kms.

I'll be gutted though if Marrey beats me by 10 secs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

That's interesting. I thought the lads at the business end swapped shoes.

I went with trail shoes and clips last year, same this year. Decision made easier as i don't have spds!

You running this year enduro?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

There's only one winners spot so all the rest of us will be scrabbling and should be able to afford a few seconds to change shoes if needed :D

I had planned on changing into MTB SPD shoes at bike transition, giving the runners to the OH and climbing (not running) the reek in the MTB shoes. If you only have road shoes that may not be of any benefit though. This in theory would have saved me carrying footwear on the bike and I could also dismount and run with the bike after the reek if needed.

The only downside to my plan is the fact that I sprained my ankle at the Ballyhoura Blitz and can't take part Saturday week :mad::mad:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I know your not doing it now but have you tried climbing with your mtb shoes ? I have a pair with spds and wouldn't dream of it. They're too stiff and although the spds are recessed, any contact with anything solid like a rock makes them dangerously slippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Head the Wall, The downsides to that plan are that MTB shoes are terrible for coming off the reek and giving your running shoes to your other half is cheating. Sorry to hear about your ankle.

I think some of the faster triathlon backround lads are considering changing their shoes and using proper a roadbike shoe platform as their biking is a real strength of theirs but even Padraig Marrey wears trailshoes all race and his backround is road biking.

If Enduro is doing Gaelforce he will truly be living up to his name, a recent 6 day Adventure Race should really have him nicely trashed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

4 stars (good)
    Peterx are you back this year? I'm looking forward to seeing you renew rivalry with Padraig. Add the likes of Anthony Murray to the mix as well as this dood over from the UK and it should be an interesting race. The only downside of doing gf is that I don't get to see the finish.

I have climbed the reek in them before and found them okay, not 100% but I felt it would be a better option than carrying runners and changing in and out for the reek.

Peterx wrote: »
    Head the Wall giving your running shoes to your other half is cheating. Sorry to hear about your ankle.

I wouldn't be using them later on so I wouldn't see this as a problem, if however I was to meet her at the base of the reek and get them of her then that would be cheating. I don't believe in cheating on myself so that wouldn't happen.

Good luck to any and all taking part, I'll be saving myself for Achill and WAR.

• Advertisement

But you're giving your runners to your oh which means you won't be carrying them anymore, sure why not give her all your kit saving you carrying it home.

4 stars (good)
    I think htw is correct. All you have to carry is the mandatory kit. You can throw away stuff you're finished with so you can give them to your OH too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Here's the rules as copied from the race website;

Mandatory Kit must be worn or carried as appropriate and as specified
    It is a self sufficient race - you are not allowed to be handed any food,drink or other equipment from spectators or helpers along the way
    Follow the Road Traffic Laws
    Do not trespass or cut corners – follow the event instructions
    Checkpoints must be visited in the prescribed order/way
    Do not cheat
    Do not litter. Any competitor found littering will face automatic disqualification.
    Respect the environment & local inhabitants
    Assist any persons who are in difficulty (e.g. injury) as appropriate
    The Race Director's decision is final

I had the self sufficient bit in my head but I suppose giving away unnessessary footwear does not make you less self sufficient.

As it happens the rules are slightly ambiguous and therefore you would not be breaking any explicit rule if you gave your shoes to your other half. My apologies.
    You are not allowed to either litter or be given anything from any supporter though.

The one clear ruling I would like to see would be that all competitors had to follow the zigzag path both up and down Croagh Patrick, for a variety of reasons including;

Everyone covers the same course as drawn on the map
    Erosion is confined to the path
    Injured/bonked people are easily spotted

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

4 stars (good)
    Peterx wrote: »
    The one clear ruling I would like to see would be that all competitors had to follow the zigzag path both up and down Croagh Patrick, for a variety of reasons including;

Everyone covers the same course as drawn on the map
    Erosion is confined to the path
    Injured/bonked people are easily spotted

just wondering peterx do ye guys follow the path up, or go up as the crow flies?? imagine its ''easier'' going up the path ,but does it cost you time?? best of luck this year anyway, say it will be very exciting race at the front!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

3 stars (average)
    Really looking forward to this now.

I'm a first timer, basically looking to finish and beat my buddy who's also a first timer.

Training hasn't gone perfectly but I'm pretty sure I have enough miles in me to give it a good lash.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    You running this year enduro?

Nope. Bigger fish to fry elsewhere. As Peter said, I did a 6 day adventure race 2 weeks ago, and I've got the UTMB coming up in 2 weeks time.

Should be interesting at the front this year. I hope Peter is up to his best speed. No doubt Padraig will be absolutely gunning to defend his title. And having Bruce Duncan competing could make it even more interesting. He's a top class adventure racer. It'll be interesting to see if he has the speed to step down to the shorter multi-sport challenge style of race.
    just wondering peterx do ye guys follow the path up, or go up as the crow flies?? imagine its ''easier'' going up the path ,but does it cost you time??

Last year the top 5 or 6 (that's all I was looking at) took a leftward diagonal ascent that poped us out pretty much at the base of the main "cone" of CP. Straight lines are more often than not the quickest route, unless the terraine is bad (which it wasn't last year).
    I wouldn't be using them later on so I wouldn't see this as a problem, if however I was to meet her at the base of the reek and get them of her then that would be cheating. I don't believe in cheating on myself so that wouldn't happen.

For the record I agree entirely with PeterX. It's a self sufficient race. Using any outside support is cheating. And leaving your shoes with someone is using outside support. If you bring gear with you then you should be bringing it all the way to the finish.

4 stars (good)
    If you put your shoes in the bin at the bottom of the reek would that be cheating?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭smurph10

Lads

Training going well,

Did last big run last night with a lot of hill running, 24.8k in 2hrs 8 minutes. happy with it.

Climbed croagh patrick last friday in 57 minutes, wasnt going my fastest but wasnt crawling either.

My question is: I went up the normal route by the shrine, is that the way we will be going up or is it from another side, plus if its not the way is the way we go more difficult or not??

Thanks

We go up the opposite side, the Mountain Rescue Base side and meet the other route around the cone. I've never gone up the pilgrim side so can't say which is more difficult but I do remember someone posting, possible in this thread, which side was the more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭robroy1234

If you went up the Reek from Murrisk, and past the Statue of St. Pat, then you went up the wrong side for Gael Force. The way up is from the Mountain Rescue near to the Owenwee Bog. You can get there from Brackloon woods road just off the Leenaun Road. That way up from the Mountain Rescue is softer and boggier, but a bit steeper in places and can be quite slippery. But, it is significantly shorter than the ascent and descent to and from the saddle. The cone still has to be ascended and descended...
    Another area that catches people out is on the bike and going down Skelp - this is a rocky area of descent going towards cloona. Quite a few injuries occurred here - with one pretty serious.
    All the best, If you need any assistance in preparation for the running let me know - I am the local rep for the Irish Mountain Running Association, as for afterwards I can help with recovery with physio and massage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭smurph10

aye, i was told by the ones in the shop that this was definitely the way the gaelforce went which i very much doubted but i said te hell with it , its still a climb so id have it done..

When u say " significantly shorter " how long are you talking?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

I took the direct route 2 years ago, and the path route last year. Both fun.
    Last year I was kind of injured going into the race and was limping with both legs quiet badly by the time I reached the reek, so the path route was the only option.
    This year however I’ll still take the path route, all going well, as I hope to keep a constant speed going. Taking the direct route 2 years ago really took a lot of draining effort. But, you know yourself, everything could change on the day.

I’ll be bringing a few waterproof bags too to throw my trail runners into when I hit the bike.
    The plan at the moment is to leave the cycle shoes attached to the bike on Friday night. I understand this is permitted, if not then plans will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

4 stars (good)
    Enduro wrote: »

Last year the top 5 or 6 (that's all I was looking at) took a leftward diagonal ascent that poped us out pretty much at the base of the main "cone" of CP. Straight lines are more often than not the quickest route, unless the terraine is bad (which it wasn't last year).

thanks enduro, us mere mortals are really grateful for the likes of your'e self and peterx giving us advice!:)

Pfffftttt, I caught and passed Enduro on a descent one morning, he's not all that.

He was being carried by others with a broken bone in his foot at the time, but I can dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭finlma

4 stars (good)
    I see a survival blanket is part of the mandatory kit. I'm not planning on bringing a bag so I'm wondering what the best option is. As light and small as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

finlma wrote: »
    I see a survival blanket is part of the mandatory kit. I'm not planning on bringing a bag so I'm wondering what the best option is. As light and small as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Just get one of the small foil blankets, I'm sure that will satisfy the kit check list.

Your local outdoors store should have them, or if you have a car or home first aid kit you might have one in there.

snailsong wrote: »
    If you put your shoes in the bin at the bottom of the reek would that be cheating?

In my opinion, if you binned them in an official bin, never to be retrieved again, then that wouldn't be cheating. It's not outside help, and it's an option available to every competitor. That's my "racing ethics" view on it.

thanks enduro, us mere mortals are really grateful for the likes of your'e self and peterx giving us advice!:)

Ah now, we're all mortals, even Peter :D There's no big division between the top end of the field and everyone else. Everyone who races is putting in the effort, and presumably giving it their best shot to get the best time/result they can. For some its trying to win, for others it's beating their mates, for most its hitting a target time, and for some its just completing the event.

In a lot of ways its the people towards the back of the field, coming from a background of little or no fitness and giving themselves the target of getting around GF who are the most impressive. They're making the biggest change to their lifestyle, they're (hopefully) transforming themselves for the better, and ultimately should get the biggest rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Enduro wrote: »
    and ultimately should get the biggest rewards.

Be realistic, the winners get more free stuff, and that's the real reward!

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Enduro, have you heard any info on the proposed Gaelforce Extreme? I was just wondering had the organisers sought out info from any of the established adventure racers whilst planning this event.

Advertisement