Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaelforce west 20/8/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MushGSXR

folks, I missed last years event but did it in 2009. Is it the same course as 09? Any changes to the first run or when you get off the reek?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    Enduro, have you heard any info on the proposed Gaelforce Extreme? I was just wondering had the organisers sought out info from any of the established adventure racers whilst planning this event.

Haven't heard a thing. But remember, the organisers do actually know all about what a real adventure race is. GF was originally GF6 (the race which is now known simply as GF) and GF12, and GF12 was very much a proper adventure race (and a pretty good one at that). It'll be interesting to see what they have in mind.

MushGSXR wrote: »
    folks, I missed last years event but did it in 2009. Is it the same course as 09? Any changes to the first run or when you get off the reek?

The main change is the cycle approach to the Reek has changed quite a bit. The finish is also a little different, with a little stinger run to finish. It's all on the course map, so no excuses for being surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SARBOY

Hi Enduro. Any advice on training in the week prior to GF?
    Thanks in advance

SARBOY wrote: »
    Hi Enduro. Any advice on training in the week prior to GF?
    Thanks in advance

Training won't improve your fitness by any worthwhile amount at this stage. Tapering and eating properly in the days leading up to the race, as you would for a marathon, would be much more important.

There are one or two useful things you could do with minimal exersion. If you're not a regular kayaker, then a little time on a kayak (preferrably a SOT) would be useful for ensuring that you can comfortably paddle on race day. Likewise if you don't regularly run on technical terraine, then some practice on technical ground would be good to sharpen up your mountain running skills (as opposed to fitness).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Good stuff on the Raid Enduro. Read a race report by your team mate, sounded epic.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good luck to all, not going to be able to do it and am gutted as I was doing it for charity.

Hope the weather dries up a little as I hear the run section is in poor shape currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Last year I entered late so was in a late wave, the gits had even taken down the start banner. Anyway, the boggy part of the run was in bits, the ground was really cut up, and the ground when you got out of the kayak up to the road was worse, knee deep in places. If it stays wet I can imagine how bad it will be this year.

Triathlon Ireland have put some very good taper tips on their website today with suggested cycle and run workouts to do in the week before a big race.

http://www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=429

Obviously the swim tips can be ignored unless you're particularly bad at kayaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

jeffontour wrote: »
    Be realistic, the winners get more free stuff, and that's the real reward!

;)

Not so true! It took me 10.5 hours last year and I was last over the finish line at 8..45 as the sun set.

I'm sure the organisers were unimpressed with me but they gave me a big cheer.

anyway the moral of the story is that I got a nice letter along the lines of - we value not only the first across the line but also those who came last and persevered..... It also came with a voucher for a weekend away to Hotel Westport (which was used last weekend to do some training)

So you dont have to come first to win stuff!!

(although i did notice they have done away with the walker category, brought back the CP cut off time and said you have to do it in 8 hours this year :D:D I'd like to think thats down to me hahaha!)

Anyway big target for this year....8 hours!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

A quick question on leaving your bike in the transition area on the friday, do people leave their bottles filled up there and then or do they fill them on the race day before jumping on the bikes.
    Just wondering what the liquids will be like if they are sitting out in the sun all day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

4 stars (good)
    Mr Jinx wrote: »
    A quick question on leaving your bike in the transition area on the friday, do people leave their bottles filled up there and then or do they fill them on the race day before jumping on the bikes.
    Just wondering what the liquids will be like if they are sitting out in the sun all day ?

most guys leave them there full! thats what i have done in previous years anyway!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

3 stars (average)
    newbie questions, where are the water refills during the race?

Are there toilet's at points during the race?

4 stars (good)
    just read the mandatory kit list again and am happy with my decision to go with a cycle top instead of a bag, makes so much more sense all the kit you must have is;
    survival blanket+whistle
    food+drink
    waterproof jacket
    cycle gear is aloud stay with the bike at the transition points!

have my shiney new top on now with the blanket,whistle+ gels in it, will have drink with me before start of race, then at bike transition where i will also have more gels strapped to the bike! this seems to work for alot of guys in previous years. have suffered with pain in the back while running with the bag during previous races so hopefully this will help with that too!!

4 stars (good)
    Rew wrote: »
    newbie questions, where are the water refills during the race?

Are there toilet's at points during the race?

after first run you will have water and toilets, bike transition as well, last one are at the base of cp

• Registered Users Posts: 34 knight_of_cake

hey guys,

Im not taking part in the race but me and a few lads were thinking of heading up watching some of the race, maybe doing some of the hill walks around delphi and camping for the weekend.

So i was just wondering will there be anything happening in delphi over the weekend or were does everyone go after the event?

Any help and advice for us would be great.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

4 stars (good)
    Mr Jinx wrote: »

If you leave a bottle ready mixed with diurrlyte it tends to go a bit yukky after a few hours. I will have the diurrlyte sachet taped to the water bottle so I can add it there. I'll also have a banana and a cereal bar taped to the crossbar to eat on the early part of the cycle.As far as I remember there's no water available at the first bike transition.

It's not as unpleasant as it sounds but downing a sachet of diaorralyte unmixed is effective.

Just pour it into your mouth and take a swig of water. As far as I am aware, it has the same effect of taking it in a bottle. Then by the time you're on the bike, you're bottles will have mix the powder again.

Knight-of-cake...Westport is where everybody tends to go out that night, place is rammed

snailsong wrote: »
    .As far as I remember there's no water available at the first bike transition.

There were water tanks at every transition last year, I topped up at each one bar the kayaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 earsandasmile

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    Enduro, have you heard any info on the proposed Gaelforce Extreme? I was just wondering had the organisers sought out info from any of the established adventure racers whilst planning this event.

From what I can gather, GF Extreme will consist of the same initial run, hop into a kayak and head west along the fjord to a point on the northern shoreline. Then up Mweelrea before cycling to Croagh Patrick and continuing to Westport as per GF. The lady I spoke to, also mentioned a possible navigation aspect to the event too.
    I was in touch with the organisers recently enquiring about the 24hour cycle challenge and had they any plans on running a event similar to the one they ran in 2010. Sadly they aren't.:(

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    There were water tanks at every transition last year, I topped up at each one bar the kayaks.

Sorry for the misinformation, my mistake.

Easy to miss if you aren't looking out. I only spotted the one at the bikes when I saw someone else go use it. They better be there this year as I plan on topping up at them again.

4 stars (good)
    It's there according to the website, just checked. Don't know how i missed it last year, I spent the best part of 10 minutes at that transition. I'll be putting something very identifiable on my bike this year, maybe a big red ribbon...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

When you leave your bike at transition, walk back to the entrance and recci the approach you will take on race morning, the place always looks totally different and you are less able to think straight. The place is always very busy after registration. Its easy to get distracted on where your bike is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dermo f

Hey

sorry if this has been asked before?
    I have a hybrid racer and a normal racer.
    which of these would you use for the race?
    I thought I read somewhere recently that there is less off road this year with some pot holes.
    I have never done the event before so I dont know the area.
    Have any of ye cycled the route to see what the suface is like?

Cheers
    Dermo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

4 stars (good)
    Right so after much deliberation im going with:

Bike:

My racer, gatorskin tyres, couple of water bottles, multi tool, puncture repair kit and spare tubes. Helmet.

Clothes:

Short sleeved cycling jersey with arm warmers, base layer underneath. Tri shorts, running socks and trail runners. Spare pair of socks in the bag too.

In the Bag:

I know the bag isn't necessarily needed but I think its the best option for me. Ill start with water in the reservoir and ill be trying to constantly be sipping away. Ill have a beanie, few energy gels, some figrolls/nutrigrains bars/power bar maybe. Then the whistle, first aid kit, rain jacket.

Think thats about it. Am i missing anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

Yeah I like your list, once you test the gear and your happy with that then good for you. Dermo this debate has been brought up many times and it always comes down to personal choice but majority of peeps go for the racer with strong tyres such as gator skins, the skelp is the only dangerous off road which is downhill and normally people dismount here unless you are used to the track.

4 stars (good)
    LaHaine wrote: »
    Right so after much deliberation im going with:

Bike:

My racer, gatorskin tyres, couple of water bottles, multi tool, puncture repair kit and spare tubes. Helmet.

Clothes:

Short sleeved cycling jersey with arm warmers, base layer underneath. Tri shorts, running socks and trail runners. Spare pair of socks in the bag too.

In the Bag:

I know the bag isn't necessarily needed but I think its the best option for me. Ill start with water in the reservoir and ill be trying to constantly be sipping away. Ill have a beanie, few energy gels, some figrolls/nutrigrains bars/power bar maybe. Then the whistle, first aid kit, rain jacket.

Think thats about it. Am i missing anything?

hey poster boy (private joke):) first aid kit is no longer mandatory, so should ease up on the weight in the bag!! still think u should try a training trip in your'e jersey, from past experience the bag bouncing around on top of you is very aggravating!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

4 stars (good)
    Dont be giving me more decision headaches!!

So then the only mandatory kit is what...a whistle, survival blanket, jacket and helmet and puncture repair kit?

• Advertisement

Nobody wore or had what ?

Advertisement