Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaelforce west 20/8/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bohoman

this is my first time doing GF and want to ask some cyclists that have done GFW about which bike I should use ?, I have 2 bikes, one is a Gaint FCR 3 (hybrid) and the other is a Specilized S-works (racer),which is lighter, would it be to rough for the S-Works carbon fibre bike ?. would the Gaint be much slower on that course ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

Used an trek s6 last year with good int tyres and had strategic locations for pushing it such as the shelp and after sheefry but when it came to the raceday so many people get in your way on the skelp and the fast downhills that I found it hard to make progress whereas far more time is gained on other parts of the cycle course if you have the lighter bike. When you get to the skelp just get off if its too hairy as you are not loosing much time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭former

4 stars (good)
    LaHaine wrote: »

In the Bag:

I know the bag isn't necessarily needed but I think its the best option for me. Ill start with water in the reservoir and ill be trying to constantly be sipping away. Ill have a beanie, few energy gels, some figrolls/nutrigrains bars/power bar maybe. Then the whistle, first aid kit, rain jacket.

Think thats about it. Am i missing anything?

Put some toilet roll in the bag - you'll be glad of it if you need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

If anyone on here is on FB you should check out planet-x irelands page and follow Padraig Marrey's taper plan and his recce today of the course. Some interesting stuff and more interesting pictures :

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Yeah the photos are definitely worth a look :)
    Will still stick with the road bike though! Was hell on the mountain bike last year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

3 stars (average)
    Woke up with a flippin cold this morning.

Not a happy camper.

Time to dose myself before the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 joe1982

Done same cycle myself yesterday and as padraic said its bad just before the climb but if you keep right you will miss all the holes and the decending was very slippy in spots so its something to watch for. I think road bike is still the only way to go, just keep your eyes on the road and watch for holes.

I made the cycle from delphi to the bog road turn off in 47mins going at about 80% effort so im well happy with that the bog road usually takes me 20-25 mins depending on wind. the bike is my strongest area so hopefully I can make time up on my poor running. Lets just hope the wind suits well on the day also for the cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Question: does your Wave start time refer to the time you should get the buss or the time you should be at the starting line. Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Nem_e

Sly77 The wave start time is the time your Bus leaves Westport.

this is from the Gaelforce event web page
    When entering the race you will choose which category and bus time you will be taking on the day of the event. The times shown on the registration form are the times the buses will be leaving Westport, your wave will leave the beach/start the race, 1.5hrs after this time. For example if you are in the 7am Runner wave you will be starting the race at 8.30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Sly77 The wave start time is the time your Bus leaves Westport.

this is from the Gaelforce event web page

Thx Trooper..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

4 stars (good)
    Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Woke up with a flippin cold this morning.

Not a happy camper.

Time to dose myself before the weekend.

As if things weren't bad enough. How's the sore heel?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

4 stars (good)
    If anyone on here is on FB you should check out planet-x irelands page and follow Padraig Marrey's taper plan and his recce today of the course. Some interesting stuff and more interesting pictures :

good info from him, though he won't tell which way up the reek is faster till after the race:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 djpm

Enduro wrote: »
    The main change is the cycle approach to the Reek has changed quite a bit. The finish is also a little different, with a little stinger run to finish. It's all on the course map, so no excuses for being surprised!

The first run is also about 2k longer, due to going around rather than over the steep hill (3 or 4 k in?) that brought you down to the section that runs along the Killary.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭former

4 stars (good)

Hi,

I can't find this stuff. Can you post a link or more specific info. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

4 stars (good)
    djpm wrote: »
    The first run is also about 2k longer, due to going around rather than over the steep hill (3 or 4 k in?) that brought you down to the section that runs along the Killary.

the first run is the same as last year!

the first run is the same as last year!

That is 100% correct but the question (which wasn't included in my post) was about this years course v 2009 ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MushGSXR

that hill was a big mud slide in 2009 i wont miss it, given all this rain we are having id say its gonna be muddy.

MushGSXR wrote: »
    that hill was a big mud slide in 2009 i wont miss it, given all this rain we are having id say its gonna be muddy.

Yeah, but you could have gained time by tobogganning down on your survival bag - it had to be useful for something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 foxn

Hi all.
    last minute panic for B&B for friday night, close to westport, anyone have any contacts or own a B&B.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

3 stars (average)
    foxn wrote: »
    Hi all.
    last minute panic for B&B for friday night, close to westport, anyone have any contacts or own a B&B.

If you use goireland.com you search for available accommodation using their map view and narrow it down to locations near Westport. I had a quick look and couldn't see any b&bs nearby but there is a hostel in Claremorris. You can also use it to search for hotels and guesthouses which may give you something closer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 dubrich

foxn - someone a few pages back was selling one in westport as they were no longer competing

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

try castlebar - its only 15 mins away but you will need a parking pass on saturday to park in westport if you drive in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

3 stars (average)
    I have a b&b going for Friday n Saturday right On the finish line, glenderran as far as I remember. My training partner pulled out so I'm stuck with it. It's a twin room though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

As a heads up for anyone stuck for accommodation (with a heavy heart) I'm canceling my single room at the Westport Woods in the morning so there'll be a single going.

3 stars (average)
    As a heads up for anyone stuck for accommodation (with a heavy heart) I'm canceling my single room at the Westport Woods in the morning so there'll be a single going.
    How much might I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

thehamo wrote: »
    How much might I ask?
    €175 for the Friday & Saturday nights. Booked it in November though so might have gone up.

3 stars (average)
    thehamo wrote: »
    How much might I ask?
    €175 for the Friday & Saturday nights. Booked it in November though so might have gone up.

Ah right il have to pass. Looks like an out of town b&b and a commute

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

For those who cannot get onto the Planet-x FB site some info from Padraig Marrey (last years winner)

"Sunday a gang of us cycled out to Delphi from Westport and cycled back over the GF route. The road from Delphi to the bottom of the Shreffrey climb was like something from Beirut with holes everywhere. Make sure to have you spare tubes ready and a good set of tyres on, to avoid the dreaded puncture.The climb itself is still the same but the descent is hairy enough with 2 bad corners before you cross the hump back bridge.On through Drumin and Liscarney and now the real tough stuff starts. Once you turn of the main road you have 3k of road and then its 5k of off road, its not too bad as off road goes but the wind is cruel as you travel through exposed bog not to mention up a killer drag. The gates are still there near the end of the cycle so remember to clip out..The Reek itself is very wet and the first few hundred meters of the bog section is energy sapping. We had plenty of debate on which is the quickest way up and the answer ??? you will have to find out next Saturday evening, (if you are new to GF stick to the path)The fastest way down is still straight but you need the right type of foot wear otherwise a fall is on the cards.The 2nd cycle over the skelp is very rough last Tuesday it was dry today it was very wet and mucky still best to carry the bike.The road down from Skelp is littered with potholes so keep right... a fall here will be fast and sore.The final run at the point is still unknown but think its the same as last year..so leave a bit in the tank for that."

Kind of sums it all up really .

3 stars (average)
    For those who cannot get onto the Planet-x FB site some info from Padraig Marrey (last years winner)

"Sunday a gang of us cycled out to Delphi from Westport and cycled back over the GF route. The road from Delphi to the bottom of the Shreffrey climb was like something from Beirut with holes everywhere. Make sure to have you spare tubes ready and a good set of tyres on, to avoid the dreaded puncture.The climb itself is still the same but the descent is hairy enough with 2 bad corners before you cross the hump back bridge.On through Drumin and Liscarney and now the real tough stuff starts. Once you turn of the main road you have 3k of road and then its 5k of off road, its not too bad as off road goes but the wind is cruel as you travel through exposed bog not to mention up a killer drag. The gates are still there near the end of the cycle so remember to clip out..The Reek itself is very wet and the first few hundred meters of the bog section is energy sapping. We had plenty of debate on which is the quickest way up and the answer ??? you will have to find out next Saturday evening, (if you are new to GF stick to the path)The fastest way down is still straight but you need the right type of foot wear otherwise a fall is on the cards.The 2nd cycle over the skelp is very rough last Tuesday it was dry today it was very wet and mucky still best to carry the bike.The road down from Skelp is littered with potholes so keep right... a fall here will be fast and sore.The final run at the point is still unknown but think its the same as last year..so leave a bit in the tank for that."

Kind of sums it all up really .

Jasus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

4 stars (good)
    Forecast for Saturday is wet and with all the rain this week its going to be fairly much a mud bath. Wouldn't like to be heading out in the last waves - the paths will be dug up.

Just noticed that the first aid kit is no longer on the list of mandatory kit.

Advertisement