Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaelforce west 20/8/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

3 stars (average)
    I have a pair of asics gel enduro that I bought. I need a lot of cushioning for road running and these are perfect. They are grippy and sold as trail runners, but I haven't really tested them out properly. Theyre only 60 in elvery's tho at this late stage it's pointless trying to break in a pair of runners

• Registered Users Posts: 33 earsandasmile

Enduro wrote: »
    Double shoite! Shame the 24 hour cycle isn't happening. It was a great event. The GF extreme sounds about as extreme as tiddlywinks :( Just a slightly longer version of GF.

Apparently the reason the 24 hour cycle isn't going ahead is down to the organisers having to dismantle the Mtb track that was used for last years event. An Coillte insisted that it be taken down. The organisers were of the understanding that after the high initial cost of building the route it could be used annually. That was the jist of what I got anyway. Maybe if enough people contacted them and register their interest/ disappointment they might review the decision. Worth a try?

I don't see how that applies to the road bike event but there you go.:(

What had you been expecting regarding GF? A multi day event?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 agall

I bought a pair of Roclite 295's after slipping way too many times on CP last year and found them excellent during last years Sea2Summit and CAC last May. While the lack of a good ankle support on the shoe has given me a few hairy moments when I thought I have done my ankle in, I still believe trail shoes are the way to go. Like others have said there has just been too much rainfall recently to risk using anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Same as previous poster. Wore the Roclites last year and knocked chunks off my previous years time. No contest. But it's really too late to go changing footwear at this stage.
    Wore old Asics the first year and I struggled on CP and the (now removed) hill climb.
    A Camelbak was my other big win. It made a serious difference with load, hydration and comfort.
    For the cycle, 1st year I used my racer on touring tyres and used my mtb running slicks last year and found it much better overall. Roads aren't good enough to make huge gains on and the off road was bad enough to justify it. And I had a ball on the rough downhill! A cyclocross bike would be the best compromise if you were going for a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

agall wrote: »
    I bought a pair of Roclite 295's after slipping way too many times on CP last year and found them excellent during last years Sea2Summit and CAC last May. While the lack of a good ankle support on the shoe has given me a few hairy moments when I thought I have done my ankle in, I still believe trail shoes are the way to go. Like others have said there has just been too much rainfall recently to risk using anything else.

I don't find the lack of ankle support an issue at all, in fact the only time I went badly over on my ankle was when I switched from them to a more supportive shoe for a race.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Trail shoes and toeclips on bike are definitely the recommended combination for this Sat

Wondering how many have had a "fun" time putting new tyres on their racers for GF in past few days?
    Just spent an age doing it for the OH so mine will have to do with what is on - just have to make sure not to try to ride the middle section of the rough descent this time as it hurt when I fell last year :eek:

More enjoyably I have just finished my Big Race Formguide based on those I know that are racing this Sat.

Can be seen at http://msai.ie/adventure-race-ireland-organiser-points-series.php

Going to be some race up front :D

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Great formguide excuseless : Think your on the money with those that I know of anyway . Murray for an each way bet and O'Dowd to steal it I think but the course condition may decide alot Saturday by 10am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Great form guide but Mahon having a chance in the vets? ;)

Should be a great race at the front. I'll put my money on O'Farrell.

Fair play to Marrey for the recce and sharing the info.

Going with ravenous for shoes myself. Great shoe and comfy on the road. Will pack the innov8 mudclaws in case of biblical rains.

Anyone got experience of the waterproof/seal skinz socks? W

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Excuseless wrote: »
    Trail shoes and toeclips on bike are definitely the recommended combination for this Sat

Thought I was over the shoe debate but... I am defo on the trail shoes but was on the off road tonight for a spin at the back of the reek and I found the calves reacting better while the feet were out of the clips , I cramped badly in the calves the last 2 years on GF (only) and I think its down to the foot position in the clips as I have large feet and with standard pedals and clips I tend to to push more with the top of the foot/toe area and end up straining the calves.

Is there and argument for pedals and trail shoes only , I would miss the clips on the hills thou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, they tend to be waterproof at the beginning but eventually let water through, by then they become heavy and hold onto the water for longer than regular socks and become uncomfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

4 stars (good)
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Yeah, they tend to be waterproof at the beginning but eventually let water through, by then they become heavy and hold onto the water for longer than regular socks and become uncomfortable.

+1, they are waterproof but water still gets in through the top and once it's in it ain't coming out. They do keep the feet warm though, which is a plus point. I wear them out on a long cycle in the rain just to stop my toes freezing, but don't bother when running.

Looking forward to this now! Finally got my road bike repaired there last weekend - new wheel, new tyres... pretty as a picture :pac: Just what you need for a rainy day in the mud! Well as long as I finish I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Try smartwool socks!
    I switched to them on the recommendation of Brian Keogh and havent had a problem with blisters or cold since :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

4 stars (good)
    The forecast on windguru is much better than it was earlier. They're giving blue skies, mild and a stiffish southwesterly breeze. Buckets of rain on Friday, so course will be muddy. I'd advise packing midge repellant, they're ravenous in Connemara.
    FiH, I also wear smartwool socks and find them great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭iwsf

waterproof socks or not with the rain we had your feet will get wet and dirty , it should be fun !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

3 stars (average)
    snailsong wrote: »
    The forecast on windguru is much better than it was earlier. They're giving blue skies, mild and a stiffish southwesterly breeze. Buckets of rain on Friday, so course will be muddy. I'd advise packing midge repellant, they're ravenous in Connemara.

Make sure it has 50% or more DEET and careful what you get it on as it will eat plastic/rubber but the Connemara ones are only armatures compared to Wicklow ones so shouldn't be too bad :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Great form guide but Mahon having a chance in the vets? ;)

Should be a great race at the front. I'll put my money on O'Farrell.

Fair play to Marrey for the recce and sharing the info.

Going with ravenous for shoes myself. Great shoe and comfy on the road. Will pack the innov8 mudclaws in case of biblical rains.

Anyone got experience of the waterproof/seal skinz socks? W

Prob right nerraw1111 - only gave Mahon a mention as he did fairly well the past few years but with recent injury has not run for 10 days so lots more likely lads about - Gibbons and Sands favourites of those "Declared" :eek:

Sounds like smart money on PeterX but it will be very close up front I think.

Ravenous what I am going with again too - light for road but reasonable grip for the hills and quick draining - more about where your head is tho by times if you are planning on having a good CP descent time :)

Waterproof socks are not really the thing you need for this race IMHO - Good quality socks like the smartwool/ bridgedale or similar should serve you well. If you are worried about getting wet feet then this is prob not the race for you as getting in and out of the kayak plus the bog crossing are places where you are bound to get wet and thankfully when they made feet they made them waterproof and breathable :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 triadventure

Does a Southwesterly wind suit for the first cycle looks like this is what we will have for Sat?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭robroy1234

I will be near to the finish area for Post-Race Massages, look out for me - I have red hair and a massage table....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

3 stars (average)
    Does a Southwesterly wind suit for the first cycle looks like this is what we will have for Sat?

Hmmm, looking at the cycle route, a wind from the southwest should be of benefit, except at the start of the cycle and on the bog road, where we would get a cross wind.
    Correct me if I am wrong.

3 stars (average)
    robroy1234 wrote: »
    I will be near to the finish area for Post-Race Massages, look out for me - I have red hair and a massage table....

Il be the lad on his hands and knees crawling towards you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

Apparently the reason the 24 hour cycle isn't going ahead is down to the organisers having to dismantle the Mtb track that was used for last years event. An Coillte insisted that it be taken down. The organisers were of the understanding that after the high initial cost of building the route it could be used annually. That was the jist of what I got anyway. Maybe if enough people contacted them and register their interest/ disappointment they might review the decision. Worth a try?

I don't see how that applies to the road bike event but there you go.:(

That's very short sighted of Coillte (Probably just the local forest manager I would say). They were getting a quality MTB track for free! From the organisers POV, and given the numbers in the previous 2 events, they probably need both the road and MTB version to justify the effort of organising the event.
    What had you been expecting regarding GF? A multi day event?

Well, I would have hoped at the very least :) I had no expectations, as I guessed it would have been nothing more than a longer version of GF (GF+ rather than GFX!!). The minimum I would actually like to see is a big mountain bike section. Extending the kayaking to match the proportions of running and cycling would also be good, along with allowing people bring their own kayakers (Good kayakers should get the benifit of being good kayakers!). That would be a good start, without having to break the single day solo format.

I'd love more navigation, but realisticly speaking there are huge numbers of people out there who fear navigation and need a fixed marked course if they are racing solo. So if they add nav they probably would need to have team categories to allow people to team up with navigators.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭robroy1234

thehamo - I prefer women coming to me on their hands and knees - but that is fantasy and wishful thinking. You will be ok, just be careful on the descent on the Reek and be extra careful on Skelp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

Excuseless wrote: »
    Sounds like smart money on PeterX but it will be very close up front I think.

Very good from guide there. Since I'm not racing I'll stick my neck on the line with my own predictions..

What I'd like to see (and sticking to what I think is possible)...

(1) Trinewbie
    (2) PeterX
    (3) Bruce Duncan

And what I what I think is more probable...

(1) Bruce Duncan
    (2) Padraig Marrey
    (3) PeterX

It all comes down to form on the day. Bruce is the huge unknown. Would be a shoe in on a longer race, or a more technical race. Peter and Padraig are usually very closely matched.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

4 stars (good)
    One of the guys in our group had to drop out due to injury. Free Double room available (we had it booked as a single occupancy, so would suit single person or a couple). Great location 2 minute walk to Westport town center. Call Mulberry Lodge B&B at 098-26117 or 087-0939473. Available for Friday and Saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

The problem with the rumoured
    GF extreme is that it'd potentially dilute the existing classic route. Just tacking on an extra climb is hardly extreme.

You might split the field into the classic route and the new extreme route. Of course all hypothetical.

With the GF brand, theres a huge opportunity to kick start a real multiday race that'd attract a decent crowd.

On another note, is there any reason why you shouldn't mix a high 5 carb drink and a nuun? The benefits of both in one bottle?

Also great outdoors sale starts today. Saloman and Colombia trail shoes on sale. A few other pieces of kit on sale, worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

4 stars (good)
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    On another note, is there any reason why you shouldn't mix a high 5 carb drink and a nuun? The benefits of both in one bottle?

It would probably taste ****e for one! Definitely try it in advance, don't just do it on the day. I made the mistake of doing something similar on the morning of La Marmotte ("it's gonna be really hot... if one nuun hydrates me, surely 2 will be better!") and the taste was overpowering - by the middle of the day it had made me nauseous and I didn't want to drink so got dehydrated. Felt really really awful!

Rather than leave it til the morning, mix up a bottle tomorrow and go for a spin to see if you can stomach it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

4 stars (good)
    I know it would be a logistical nightmare but the option of a swim across killary would add a new dimension. I'm not sure on the tides and the safety aspect of swimmers and kayakers in open water would be immense but it would make it one tough race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Rawhead wrote: »
    I know it would be a logistical nightmare but the option of a swim across killary would add a new dimension. I'm not sure on the tides and the safety aspect of swimmers and kayakers in open water would be immense but it would make it one tough race.

It's a long way to the bottom of a fjord

3 stars (average)
    Q7 wrote: »
    One of the guys in our group had to drop out due to injury. Free Double room available (we had it booked as a single occupancy, so would suit single person or a couple). Great location 2 minute walk to Westport town center. Call Mulberry Lodge B&B at 098-26117 or 087-0939473. Available for Friday and Saturday night.

Any idea how much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Adventurer10

Enduro wrote: »
    The minimum I would actually like to see is a big mountain bike section. Extending the kayaking to match the proportions of running and cycling would also be good, along with allowing people bring their own kayakers (Good kayakers should get the benifit of being good kayakers!).

Totally with you on that :)

Advertisement