Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaelforce west 20/8/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

3 stars (average)
    Took a spin over the the offroad sections of the cycle yesterday evening! Nice and dry and hopefully the course stays that way, unlikely!

Will be running down scelp this year instead of cycling it I think! Went head over handlebars on it stupidly going to slow on it and front wheel went into a rut & over I went!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Took a spin over the the offroad sections of the cycle yesterday evening! Nice and dry and hopefully the course stays that way, unlikely!

Will be running down scelp this year instead of cycling it I think! Went head over handlebars on it stupidly going to slow on it and front wheel went into a rut & over I went!

Bloody hell! U were lucky then not to get injured!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

We were sitting at the bottom waiting, wondering what was keeping him. Pp joked he's probably up there somewhere with the bike on top of him, forehead pumping blood (some friend:p)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

4 stars (good)
    Lads, how do i get to the scelp. Do i go back down the road from the mountain rescue huts and if so where do i turn off the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

If Croagh Pastrick is at your back you turn left on the road and cycle for a couple of hundred meters and then its a left turn onto the path.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

4 stars (good)
    Fi H wrote: »
    If Croagh Pastrick is at your back you turn left on the road and cycle for a couple of hundred meters and then its a left turn onto the path.

Think I know the path your on about.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

With just three weeks of training left, anyone want to call/predict their times?

I'm hoping for sub 4.30 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

4 stars (good)
    Finding it very hard to estimate. First time, so five and a half maybe?

haha i am aiming for 8.5 this year....although that would be a big improvement so who knows ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    With just three weeks of training left, anyone want to call/predict their times?

4.30 is a good time. Have you done it before? What was your time?

One tip, stay behind PeterX on the first run. If you're ahead of him you're going too fast!

Also try to get in with pack of cyclists of your ability. The benefit of working/drafting together is unbelievable. More so if there's a head wind. At the rough road to Croagh Patrick you can drop them! :)

I presume you're in the first wave?

• Advertisement

Third time doing it.

2009: 5 hrs 36
    2010: 4 hrs 47.

Plan is to tuck in behind Marrey and O'Farrell till the top of the reek before going for it ;)

Nah, this year training is going well, decent IMRA season, improvements on th bike, will be using a racing bike compared to a hybrid last year.

Knocked 17 odd mins off my half marathon plod time compared to last year, so I reckon I can find 17 minutes along the course as well as the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

4 stars (good)
    3rds time, hoping for 4.30, previous two were
    09- 4.51
    10- 4.44

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm hoping for around 5 hours this year, that's a half hour off last years time.

I'm conflicted though, both my running and cycling is much improved over last year but (get the excuses in early :p) my training hasn't been where it should be, I've done a lot less than this time last year but the base to work off is better. I'll get a good bit of cycling done over the next couple of weeks while my bloody ankle that I injured on the Sugar Loaf last week recovers. I'm in an much earlier wave too so I reckon that should shave a few minutes off Croagh Patrick.

So c'mon 5 hours !

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭former

4 stars (good)
    This is my first time so it's hard to say. I'd say about 6 hours.

I wish I had another couple of months training!

On a given day, I find it hard to decide whether to run or cycle, focus on speed or endurance or do a brick session. :confused:

I'm thinking of doing a recce of the Killarney adventure race this weekend, to get a feel for how I'm fixed for Aug 20.

I feel the anxiety rising, just like before a marathon. This is really exciting. :D

4 stars (good)
    Thinking about getting a pair of Mizuno Wave harrier runners for this. Anyone have them? Or recommend any other trail running runners?

Also, as part of the mandatory kit a waterproof jacket is required. Would a cycling gillet be adequate for this?

Was just looking through last years thread on Gaelforce West. So much busier than this. Doesnt seem near as popular this time around. I suppose there are more alternative races now.

It was a lovely day for the race last year but it was rainy and cold on CP so I know I had my rain coat out & on for most of that part. It depends on how fast you are going whether you will need it but I recommend bringing something light but proper :) You just never know when you are going to need it! That said I am sure others will suggest bringing something else!

Never tried the Mizuno. I'm using Colombia Ravenous for GF. A lot of people use Soloman for these kind of trails. Also Asic trail shoes appear to be popular.

A gillet could be adequate but depends it on the weather. The weather would have to be pretty bad for me to bother using the rain jacket. Not sure if a gillet would qualify as a rain jacket under the rules but unlikely to be pulled up on it.

It also looks like Gaelforce may be doing a proper adventure race, with a "Gaelforce West Extreme" advertised for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

Two years ago I ran GFW in a pair of Nike Pegasus. They served me well. But the GFW killed them, chunks were missing out of them. Last year I used a pair of Columbia Trail runners and they were much better all around. I have a few pairs of Trail Runners at home, they are all as good as each other so I’ll just bring which ever ones I feel like when packing. I suppose they main benefit they have over the regular runners is the added grip going up and down Croagh Patrick and all the off road bits.

The Windproof/waterproof Jacket. I’m bringing the same Craft running jacket from last year. It’s enough and packs down to about the size of your closed fist. It’s a single layer, and isn’t as water proof as a wax jacket but once you keep moving it’ll be okay. I found the wind to be the main element to battle on Croagh Patrick.

Does anyone know why they have banned MP3 players? (I can’t imagine it’s actually for insurance reasons as other sporting events don’t have such restrictions)

I’m looking forward to seeing the details of the “Gaelforce West Extreme"

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

And one other thing, it says “Windproof/Waterproof” – That to me means one or the other, not necessarily both.

Lots of events do ban the wearing of headphones. It's for the wearers safety and those around them.

• Advertisement

Never tried the Mizuno. I'm using Colombia Ravenous for GF. A lot of people use Soloman for these kind of trails. Also Asic trail shoes appear to be popular.

A gillet could be adequate but depends it on the weather. The weather would have to be pretty bad for me to bother using the rain jacket. Not sure if a gillet would qualify as a rain jacket under the rules but unlikely to be pulled up on it.

It also looks like Gaelforce may be doing a proper adventure race, with a "Gaelforce West Extreme" advertised for next year.

Colombia Ravenous seem to be the runner of choice these days :)
    I know Enduro was using them recently among others. They are really light and very grippy (i have 2 pairs myself but i dont count )

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Lots of events do ban the wearing of headphones. It's for the wearers safety and those around them.

Disaster
    I only did up my play list last night! was thinking listening to music on the run would help me go faster....go in general.....:D

I completely agree with the idea you shouldnt be listening with headphones on the cycles but in terms of when running I dont see the problem, especially for someone like me who is extra slow ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

2 stars (poor)
    Thinking about getting a pair of Mizuno Wave harrier runners for this. Anyone have them? Or recommend any other trail running runners?

Got a pair of Salomon's which I think are really suitable for this type of event. They've decent grip for the trails and CP and plenty of cushioning for the road sections.
    http://www.mudsweatandtears.co.uk/2011/03/02/shoe-review-salomon-xr-crossmax/

RE headphones, they're not allowed on any IMRA races either. I'd guess its because you could be holding people up or have gone off course and you wouldn't hear people calling you back. It also safer to be fully aware of what's happening around you.

Fi wrote:
    in terms of when running I dont see the problem, especially for someone like me who is extra slow ;)

There's always the risk of not hearing someone come up behind you and accidentally stepping into their path, or not getting out of the path of someone falling down the mountain behind you.

too true...i might sneak them along for a quick motivation though when i start to hit the wall of death & inability to go on...i reckon a quick shot of rage against the machine even if standing still would be worth it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 dubrich

Mossess wrote: »
    Two years ago I ran GFW in a pair of Nike Pegasus. They served me well. But the GFW killed them, chunks were missing out of them. Last year I used a pair of Columbia Trail runners and they were much better all around. I have a few pairs of Trail Runners at home, they are all as good as each other so I’ll just bring which ever ones I feel like when packing. I suppose they main benefit they have over the regular runners is the added grip going up and down Croagh Patrick and all the off road bits.

The Windproof/waterproof Jacket. I’m bringing the same Craft running jacket from last year. It’s enough and packs down to about the size of your closed fist. It’s a single layer, and isn’t as water proof as a wax jacket but once you keep moving it’ll be okay. I found the wind to be the main element to battle on Croagh Patrick.

Does anyone know why they have banned MP3 players? (I can’t imagine it’s actually for insurance reasons as other sporting events don’t have such restrictions)

I’m looking forward to seeing the details of the “Gaelforce West Extreme"

Hi, I was thinking of wearing normal runners too even though I have trail shoes - until I read your post. Was there a certain part of the course that damaged them like running after the kayaking or coming down croagh patrick? Thanks.

4 stars (good)
    Couple of new videos on gaelforcewest website on training tips. Decent one about the kayak and how to twist one wrist to use the paddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

Solamen speed cross are imho the best for gael force events where there is a good mix of road/trail/bog/scree/mountain. i like the zoot tri suits also as u dont notice the wet after being on or in the water. regarding the earphones a lot of people I experienced last year cannot hear u pass and this can be very dangerous especially on the skelp where race lines are tight and most people that get off their bike and walk, use the only raceable track:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

3 stars (average)

goin for sub 6 this time round (7.5 last time). havent been able to train much with a back injury. Just back running now only up to about 9km thus far. Cycling is much better tho. been doing a lot of long hilly spins and sportives so tbh 32km on the bike seems like a walk in the park to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Bike is 44km, there's another 12km after the reek.

Advertisement