Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Battle for Nimmo's Pier

Options
  • 21-01-2011 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any idea what the story is with this curious plaque on the wall at the end of Nimmo's Pier... the Latin means "Everyone is doing it".

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Looks like a prank. I call shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

They prevented drug dealing there?

They vanquished some foreign wildlife invader? (Chinese mitten crabs?)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I heard a rumour that it was going to be an undercover operation against John Cleary's doomsday device.

But then John got elected as president of the Society for Historical Interpretation, Trusteeship and Education, so they all had to kiss and make up.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

That cormorant statue on Fr. Griffin road had a big professionally-made sticker like that up on it for a while saying that the statue was erected to the the people who lost their lives in the Democratic Republic of Galway space program :D. It was sadly stripped down before I could get a photo of it. The boat logo was exactly the same so I'd say it is the same people - well-organised irl trolls? :pac:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Boy, the things some people like to do with their time and money... still, I've seen worse. As long as they don't stick them to something that would be severely defaced by the bolts, it's not too serious. I think the plaques would look better with a year printed on them, though, if anybody involved is reading this.

I'm still trying to figure out how exactly one would repel an invasion by "unknown foreign enemies."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

"....Galway Democratic Republic in co-operation with the Society of Historic Interpretation, Trusteeship and Education.

LOL Good One:D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It's no Father Pat Noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

biko wrote: »

Notice the date on that article, and the publication that it came from:
    ... Galway First, November 24, 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I presumed jkforde had taken his picture recently? Has the Nimmo's Pier sign been there for two years? Does a proud upstanding Galwegian retain any self-respect if he admits he hasn't been down that way for so long?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Another gdr in ravens terrace????

4189114344_3f317dc873_z.jpg

Its stuck on this thing

4189114982_59746b85dd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

"Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit" apparently means "To boldly go where no man has gone before" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

It's a pity none of there signs are actually funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I think they're pretty funny, myself. "Future casualties of the Galway Space Program"? A star trek quote in latin? The fact that they remain despite obviously being hoaxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

It's a pity none of there signs are actually funny.

It's a pity that some people don't have a sense of humour.
    At the very least it's a little bit funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

SparKing wrote: »
    It's a pity that some people don't have a sense of humour.
    At the very least it's a little bit funny!

They could have said something like 'It was from this spot Christopher Columbus discovered America and was the Indians' best friend. He helped the Indians win their war against Frederick Douglass and freed the Hebrews from Napoleon and discovered France.'

Yes I know it's southpark :D
    Oh and yes the Galway Space Program is pretty funny.

Advertisement