Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a new (first) build?

Options
  • 22-01-2011 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Haven't bought anything yet, but this is the plan at the moment:

CPU i5 2500K
    GPU Decide... 580, 570
    SSD C300, 64gb 128gb/OCZ Vertex 2, 60/120
    Mem Corsair Memory Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL9 XMP
    HDD WD SATA III/F3 spinpoint?
    PSU CORSAIR PSU 850W CMPSU-850TX ATX12V V2.2
    Case NZXT Phantom White Enthusiast Full Tower Case
    Optical Drive Samsung SH-B123L/RSBP 12x BD-ROM / 16x DVD Writer Drive

Any thoughts/criticisms?

Also, where is the best place to buy most of this stuff? I've been looking at dabs.ie, komplett.ie, hardwareversand.de and amazon.co.uk. And most specifically, where's the best place to get the i5 2500K right now?

I was thinking of going with EVGA for the GPU, although they seem to have the priciest 580. Thoughts? Also, where's the best place to get this?

Any thoughts on the RAM?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

IIRC EVGA tend to have lifetime warranties on all their GPU's....so while it may cost that little more initially, you're sorted if anything does go tits up..

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Col Man

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

In this day and age I'd think twice before spending more cash on a component just because the manufacturer offers a "lifetime" guarantee.

Abit and OCZ are prime examples from recent years...

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

Maybe I am blind, but is there a motherboard there, and you should also check out this site :
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Col Man wrote: »

CPU i5 2500K
    GPU Decide... 580, 570

Any thoughts/criticisms?

Also, where is the best place to buy most of this stuff? I've been looking at dabs.ie, komplett.ie, hardwareversand.de and amazon.co.uk. And most specifically, where's the best place to get the i5 2500K right now?

I was thinking of going with EVGA for the GPU, although they seem to have the priciest 580. Thoughts? Also, where's the best place to get this?

Any thoughts on the RAM?

Seems pretty solid to me mate.....congrats on a new build. What exactly are you getting the rig for? Gaming, Photo Editing...?

2500K is a great choice, as it pretty much spanks any older tech out there are the moment apart from the i7 980x and for the money its a no brainer, the tricker thing to get is a decent mobo TBH. Absolutely no point IMHO going for the €300+ mobos anymore as the SB chips are pretty much fool proof for overclocking so a high end board is just redundant especially if you clocking on air. If I was hell bent on getting the top board I would pull the trigger on the gigabyte P67 UDA 7 (duracell board lol) it looks and performs like a bat outta hell. Other then that the gigabyte UD4 or I would take a look at the P67 "sabertooth" at the price is a very good and solid board (not everyones taste looks wise) but solid as a rock. Also take a look at a pair of ATi 6950's as opposed to the GTX580, the scaling on these cards is just UBER good, but dual cards pose thier own problems and are not for everyone.

If getting an SSD try to get the newer controllers rather then the older ones, and the samsung spinpoint 1TB HDD's are superb value and give excellant performance.

Personally, I would stay well clear of Komplett.ie absolute joke TBH. I always get my stuff of Dabs.ie (currently doing great SB bundles) or Ebuyer. Had alot of trouble with overclockers.co.uk in the past when things are faulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

Col Man wrote: »

CPU i5 2500K
    GPU Decide... 580, 570

Any thoughts/criticisms?

Any thoughts on the RAM?

How much is that setting u back mate? I'm looking at www.hardwareversand.de they are highly recommended on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Col Man

Hmm tman, yeah I'll look around online a bit, see what people are saying about the different manufacturers.

Ha Jake, indeed looks like I forgot to post it. I'm thinking of getting the ASUS P8P67 Pro board. And thanks for that, looks like a decent place!

Ah thanks wonda-boy. Gaming and running applications like MATLAB would be the main uses. And yeah as I said, I had been thinking of getting the AUS P8P67 Pro. I was actually wondering about getting two cards instead of the 580, but as a complete beginner I thought that it might just be easier for me to go with the single card (this time!). And thanks for the shop recommendations.

Do you mean everything, or one part in particular Morf3h? Altogether it looks like it'll be fairly pricey, but I didn't put the monitor etc. up on this thread. The 580 is very expensive...

Thought I should add, I'm now thinking the Antec 1200 instead of the NZXT as a case.

Advertisement