Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile Ireland: Java OTA Proxy Settings for Nokia symbian 40 phones?

Options
  • 22-01-2011 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi there. I have a Nokia 2700 Classic. I went to Tesco Mobile Ireland's Mobile OTA service (http://www.tescomobile.ie/phonesettings.aspx) and asked for the configuration for my mobile. I received a file ("Items received: Web", no access point!), and the built-in Opera Mini browser worked like a breeze, but none of the Java apps (Google Maps, UC Browser, etc.) work because there is no access point.

Wouldn't it be possible for Tesco Mobile Ireland to have OTA proxy settings for mobiles in the s40 family?

I tried generating a provisioning file using the ideas http://www.mobiletipstricks.com/proxy-settings-for-access-points-in-nokia-symbian-40-series-to-allow-applications-to-connect-to-internet/ . I changed the parameters to what I believed were the right values, generated the .prov file, transferred it to the mobile, but no joy (no access point is received).

I don't understand why Tesco Mobile Ireland use proxies. In Spain, where I live, my company, Simyo, does not use proxies, and I can set my Nokia 3700 manually and everything works fine.

Anyone having similar problems, or, better, solutions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

mlforcada wrote: »
    Hi there. I have a Nokia 2700 Classic. I went to Tesco Mobile Ireland's Mobile OTA service (http://www.tescomobile.ie/phonesettings.aspx) and asked for the configuration for my mobile. I received a file ("Items received: Web", no access point!), and the built-in Opera Mini browser worked like a breeze, but none of the Java apps (Google Maps, UC Browser, etc.) work because there is no access point.

Wouldn't it be possible for Tesco Mobile Ireland to have OTA proxy settings for mobiles in the s40 family?

I tried generating a provisioning file using the ideas http://www.mobiletipstricks.com/proxy-settings-for-access-points-in-nokia-symbian-40-series-to-allow-applications-to-connect-to-internet/ . I changed the parameters to what I believed were the right values, generated the .prov file, transferred it to the mobile, but no joy (no access point is received).

I don't understand why Tesco Mobile Ireland use proxies. In Spain, where I live, my company, Simyo, does not use proxies, and I can set my Nokia 3700 manually and everything works fine.

Anyone having similar problems, or, better, solutions?

Hi there

The proxy restrictions will be removed soon.

regards
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mlforcada

Dear Paul,
    thanks for the quick answer. Could you be more specific as to what "soon" means? Thanks a lot!

Mikel

mlforcada wrote: »
    Dear Paul,
    thanks for the quick answer. Could you be more specific as to what "soon" means? Thanks a lot!

Mikel

Dont have a confirmed schedule yet but its being worked on and expected to be resolvde in the next few weeks.

Thanks a lot! Go raibh míle maith agat!

Hi Paul et al.,
    I am travelling to Ireland again. Have the proxy restrictions been removed already?

Thanks a lot

Mikel

• Advertisement

Hi Mikel,

Yes the restrictions were removed in February. You only need the APN tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com for Internet access.

Regards
    Paul

Thanks a lot Paul. I have just arrived, defined an access point, and I'm all set!

All the best,

Mikel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Hi Paul just got a tesco sim and am trying to get OTA settings sent from your website to my smartphone by putting the phone number and brand and model in, but receiving no settings !! am i doing something wrong? have tried numerous times :(

heybaby wrote: »
    Hi Paul just got a tesco sim and am trying to get OTA settings sent from your website to my smartphone by putting the phone number and brand and model in, but receiving no settings !! am i doing something wrong? have tried numerous times :(

Hi there,

sorry for the delay in coming back. I checked there and the phone settings service seems to be OK. Can you try again? If you are still having an issue send me you details by PM (number, phone model etc)

thanks
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 twrona11

Hi Paul,

Sorry for send you private txt.
    The question is , I've samsung 3350 and I've downloaded Opera 4 and UC Browser. No one of them can connect me with website, I cannot go on apntescomobile... etc for check my details even thorough phone program (wich's connecting me with internet and wifi very well). But that program is very poor, opera or uc browser would give more than that.
    Could you help me? the opera shows information as a please contact with your provider(i was talking with customer care, nobody helped me) and uc browser says error code 8-check your network configuration.
    if you need something , maybe you can send configuration deatails as a txt
    please send them on..........or answer me here,pls
    I really sorry for that problem, I'm first time on english language board so that situation really confused me

thx, bye

• Advertisement

twrona11 wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

Sorry for send you private txt.
    The question is , I've samsung 3350 and I've downloaded Opera 4 and UC Browser. No one of them can connect me with website, I cannot go on apntescomobile... etc for check my details even thorough phone program (wich's connecting me with internet and wifi very well). But that program is very poor, opera or uc browser would give more than that.
    Could you help me? the opera shows information as a please contact with your provider(i was talking with customer care, nobody helped me) and uc browser says error code 8-check your network configuration.
    if you need something , maybe you can send configuration deatails as a txt
    please send them on xxxx or answer me here,pls
    I really sorry for that problem, I'm first time on english language board so that situation really confused me

thx, bye

Hi twrona,

I think you should remove your number from the original post.

The network settings are not different for each browser so it should not make a difference. If it works for one it should work for all. There is likely some setting in the Opera browser settings that you need to point at the apn?

I will try out here and let you know.

regards
    Paul

Hi twrona

I just downloaded the Opera Mini 4.3 jar there and installed and it works fine with the standard Tesco Mobile settings. Make sure to check "Allow, ask once" when it asks you to access the airtime/network.

regards
    Paul

Paul you are GOD, I was struggling with that more than two weeks. It's really working. Thank's a million. Thx

Dear Paul,

I hope you flying here on that website, I bought one day ago samsung galaxy mini on tesco mobile. I had a samsung 3350 since that time and that was great with check balances from tesco file it shows alaways one and second(additional) limit.
    But on that samsung galaxy mini there's information (when I press check balances) sending and no answer,
    I don't know what I have to do with it,

Please anybody who can help, last time was a Paul(thx Paul great job) help me with it I can't chceck my balances...

Thanks everybody

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Is this from the SIM menu?

If you do *100# you will get the same result.

Regards
    Paul

ok I thank you so much I know that's the other way is well
    but why I can't use the sim menu?

that what you wrote is working thx,
    why I can't check thorough sime menu?

It should be working from SIM menu too. Do you have a SIM from before July 10. If so you may need a SIM swap.

Regards
    Paul

Hi Paul,

Do you mean I have to buy a new one?
    What about old number?

twrona11 wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

Do you mean I have to buy a new one?
    What about old number?
    No if you have an old sim it is likely a 2g sim and the sim menu Is older. If you get a new free 3G sim from our website and then call care on 0894200000 they will do a sim swap for you.
    Regards
    Paul

No if you have an old sim it is likely a 2g sim and the sim menu Is older. If you get a new free 3G sim from our website and then call care on 0894200000 they will do a sim swap for you.
    Regards
    Paul
    Actually you should have got a new sim with the phone so that would do

• Advertisement
Advertisement