Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Possible shortcut around The toll on M1

Options
  • 22-01-2011 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all

I am just throwing this out here to find out if anyone knows of a fairly quick route around the Toll on the M1 , I drive to Dublin every day from Dundalk and i leave early enough normally about half six , I have time to play with so i was wondering if anyone can tell me a route that might save me going through the toll - I know the obvious one of driving through drogheda but I do remeber someone taking me on a route that was quite close to the motorway

four euro a day 5 days a week is 20 euro I would rather see going into the diesel tank , and as I drive a Van , if i dont have change and have to go through a lane with an attendant its 3.40 euro so add that on

Just trying to think up ways of saving a few quid and still have the freedom to get up and go

The Matthews coaches are the next step but still looking to see how this works out

All info appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

At half six in the morning, any other route using back roads would take longer than going through drogheda, either way your talking 20 minutes give or take on top of your journey i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

M1 South to the Dunleer - Collon Junction (J12, I think),
    Off motorway, turn right @ bottom of ramp to Collon,
    Turn left onto N2 and go to Dublin that way.

But I for one think 15 or so minutes of my time is worth alot more than the €1.90.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Avoiding toll would add about 15 minutes during lightly trafficked times of the day, a bit less early in the morning. Respecting speed limits anyway. This idea of wear and tear causing problems doesn't really apply to going through Drogheda, the north road and Dublin road out of Drogheda have perfectly reasonable road surfaces (except past the Black Bull I suppose) and were engineered to take traffic at 60mph. Most of that stretch of the R132 allows traffic at 100kph now.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

With the Slane birdge closed the last few days I wouldn't risk going the N2. Plus most of the roads from teh M1 to the N2 are pretty windy.

With the Slane birdge closed the last few days I wouldn't risk going the N2. Plus most of the roads from teh M1 to the N2 are pretty windy.

Didn't realise Slane bridge was closed in recent days; I don't actually go that way myself, but (closed bridge apart) it is the way I would go if i wanted to avoid the toll.

And I wouldn't describe the Dunleer-Collon road (R169, I just checked) as 'pretty windy'. Sure it has a few corners, but it has some decent straight bits too.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=r169&aq=&sll=53.799485,-6.473007&sspn=0.026411,0.109863&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=R169,+County+Louth,+Ireland&ll=53.807798,-6.448631&spn=0.026406,0.109863&t=h&z=14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭gipi

Avoiding toll would add about 15 minutes during lightly trafficked times of the day, a bit less early in the morning. Respecting speed limits anyway. This idea of wear and tear causing problems doesn't really apply to going through Drogheda, the north road and Dublin road out of Drogheda have perfectly reasonable road surfaces (except past the Black Bull I suppose) and were engineered to take traffic at 60mph. Most of that stretch of the R132 allows traffic at 100kph now.

The R132 from Drogheda towards Dublin doesn't have a 100kph limit - the limit ranges from 50kph on the Dublin Rd to 80kph between Drogheda and Julianstown, and on the stretch towards City North.

The only 100kph bit of the R132 around Drogheda is between Monasterboice and Killineer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

What is the N2 road like between Slane and the M50? I thought it was fairly bad between Slane and Ashbourne so I always avoided it - maybe this isn't the case at all though, I don't think I've ever been on it since I was younger.

What is the N2 road like between Slane and the M50? I thought it was fairly bad between Slane and Ashbourne so I always avoided it - maybe this isn't the case at all though, I don't think I've ever been on it since I was younger.

Fairly busy but seems to keep moving.

Probably the straightest road in the country. Seriously; look at it on the Google maps link below. Allegedly it was especially built for a king visiting Slane Castle or something.

Ashbourne itself now bypassed by the M2, which goes all the way to the M50.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=N2,+Ireland&aq=0&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=36.863178,56.513672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=N2,+Ireland&ll=53.518267,-6.405029&spn=0.432753,0.883026&z=10

I've used the N2 from time to time, joining it at Kilmoon Cross, and the traffic can be very slow there(at 8am or thereabouts). The traffic builds up because of the traffic lights further in (Primatestown?) - once you get through those lights, it's fairly clear travelling all the way to the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭objj52

Thanks all , kinda resigned myself to continuing to pay the Tolls

Ah well maybe i will buy a helicopter when i win the lotto ;)

• Advertisement

As I already said, I don't mind paying the tolls, because I value my time (specifically, I value an extra 15-20 minutes in bed!).

The traffic between J4 and J2 on the M1 has now got so slow in the mornings that I have now started leaving the motorway @ the first exit S of the bridge, paying the toll, and then heading SW past Platin cement works on the R152.
    Then I hang a left onto the N2 near Cherry Picker Hire (Kilmoon Cross, I think?) and on into Dublin on N2/M2.

With current traffics levels, it saves 45mins between Dundalk and Chapelizod area at peak times.

And that's definitely worth €1.90, in my view.

Anyone see the news report on RTE earlier this evening? The company that run the M1 toll are being taken to court by the NRA for alleged overcharging....apparently the tolls are linked to the consumer price index, and the NRA claim the tolls should have gone down this year!

4 other toll road companies in similar bother.....

One to watch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Shannoner

gipi wrote: »
    Anyone see the news report on RTE earlier this evening? The company that run the M1 toll are being taken to court by the NRA for alleged overcharging....apparently the tolls are linked to the consumer price index, and the NRA claim the tolls should have gone down this year!

4 other toll road companies in similar bother.....

One to watch!

I believe that the M1 toll will only go down by 10c if the action is successful, so you will be saving the princely sum of €1.00 a week on a return journey.
    But I suppose every little bit helps ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

So ? Turn your wheel :D

I leave Dundalk, M1 to Drogheda South, Either take the road there out to Slane or into Drogheda (which at half six is empty) up the Donore Road, Onto the Kilmoon Cross Road and onto the N2. Quick slip onto the M2 and M50 and into Blanch.... Takes me 5 minutes LESS than the M1.

Do not forget that the M1 at that time of the morning consists of "Mr Just out of bed and I am going to drive at 100Kph in the right hand lane" times Seventy !

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭astonvanilla

If you dont need a receipt, take the basket lane at the toll. Vans will be charged 1.90, not 3.40.

Also you can buy 20 journey swipe cards at the booths that save you 10% every journey.

Advertisement