Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3phase questions for a shed

Options
  • 22-01-2011 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a shed that has 3phase power going directly to 1 socket for a machine I have. I would like to add 2 more sockets. 1 is 16A, the other 32A, should I put in a consumer unit and run separate lines and what cable to use?

Also, if I wanted to put in a few 220v sockets, coming from a transformer, what cable should I use?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

what cable feeds the shed already ?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

persie11 wrote: »
    Also, if I wanted to put in a few 220v sockets, coming from a transformer, what cable should I use?

You don't need to use a transformer. If that 3 phase socket has a neutral at it (which it might not if its a 3 phase motor its powering) then you will get your 230v if you take a spur off 1 of the phases and the neutral.
    But like stoner said what size is the cable going to the shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭persie11

Stoner wrote: »
    what cable feeds the shed already ?

It's a 5 core SWA, maybe 10sq, possibly bigger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I dont think its good practice to be looping or spuring off a 3 phase circuit. An MCB board should be fed from that 3 phase cable and bring your circuits out from that. A sparks should be doing that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I dont think its good practice to be looping or spuring off a 3 phase circuit. An MCB board should be fed from that 3 phase cable and bring your circuits out from that. A sparks should be doing that for you.

Agreed. That would be much better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement