Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism?

• 22-01-2011 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

I'm thinking of going into Journalism after school, but I dont want to do an actual Journalism course as I really dont want to be restricted, seeing as Im sorta thinking of teaching also. I was just wondering what would be the best course to do for Journalism? I'm doing Economics so I'm thinking of that maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I wont give you career advice but as someone who has been in the business all my life just make sure that you choose a course that concentrates on web media as opposed to print.
    Plus, you would be well advised to keep your options open at the current time - I have a son and daughter who both have Masters in Journalism (one with First Class Honours) and neither has a job!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jonesy93

Apparently philosophy is supposed to equip its graduates with the nessecary skills for journalism, so too with law. however in today's competitive market I would definitly reccomend a masters in journalsim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

Thanks for the replies! I'd be reluctant to do an actual Journalism degree as like I said before it can be quiet restricting, and I've been told you are more likely to get a job if you have a sepcific degree in areas such as Economics, Business ect, rather than a general Journalism degree?? At the moment I'm thinking of BESS in Trinity as its an immensly diverse course, focusing on Business, Economics and Social studies, as well as doing either Law or Spanish as an elective. The points are a bit high for me though :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Start building a portfolio now. The more you have behind you, the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

Yeah thats a good idea. I already was nominated for a journalism award and I was also editor of our school magazine, thats gotta count for something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Start building a portfolio now. The more you have behind you, the better

How is this best done? Do I just write articles and submit them to the local newspaper and ask them to publish it?

Also, I noticed that my local newspaper makes quite a number of spelling errors which could be avoided with a simple proof read. Would it be worth my time offering my proof reading services over the summer in return for some work experience or would that seem incredibly arrogant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

How is this best done? Do I just write articles and submit them to the local newspaper and ask them to publish it?

Also, I noticed that my local newspaper makes quite a number of spelling errors which could be avoided with a simple proof read. Would it be worth my time offering my proof reading services over the summer in return for some work experience or would that seem incredibly arrogant?

Most small local papers will take articles. If you're in college write for the college paper, the majority have one. If there is a particular hobby you have consider writing for magazines in relation to it- they usually accept articles and pay well for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Doing a straight journalism degree is supposed to be an awful way of getting into journalism.

Do a degree in something you're actually interested in, write, a lot, for whatever will print you (College papers are good). Editing a college paper is free (Even paid sometimes!) and it supposed to be a way to learn all the skills a journalism degree would teach you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

A straight degree in journalism is most certainly NOT an "awful way" to get into journalism! It is certainly not by any means the only route, but to describe in in those term to a student is most irresponsible in my opinion.
    I do agree with studying other arts subjects at under-graduate level and, as many of those I have worked with over the years have done, do a Post-Grad/Masters in Journalism. However, many of the under-grad programmes have a good work experience module, which is highly beneficial to students and you would be surprised at how many actually change their minds about journalism when they are faced with working in a newsroom.
    The advice on having your work printed is wise and to be strongly encouraged. And always keep a folder/portfolio of printed work that you can show at future interviews.

Advertisement