Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election Thread

• 22-01-2011 12:36am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭

To save duplication, a thread is running here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Just to note that most areas within the "Dublin County West" area vote in the Dublin Midwest constituency - not Dublin West.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Yup, sadly the constituency people didnt consult with boards when gerrymandering the borders. I'm somehow in Dublin North East myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

I think the point ML is making is this should link to a Mid West and not a West thread as the main areas in this forum Lucan/Clondalkin/Rathcoole and Saggart are in MW.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,326 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well there isn't a Dublin Mid West thread anywhere yet as far as I know, so feel free to start one here if you wish. Gaspode was merely linking to the Dublin West thread in the D15 forum for anyone here who may be interested in it, seeing as there's already a decent discussion going on there, rather than starting a separate thread in this forum for the same constituency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

So...any campaigners out in Lucan yet? I can't wait for a Fianna Fáil hopeful come knocking on my door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

IvySlayer wrote: »
    So...any campaigners out in Lucan yet? I can't wait for a Fianna Fáil hopeful come knocking on my door.

I'd be surprised if they have the balls to go knocking on doors tbh. I see Gogarty has had ads on the bus shelters for the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I saw Enda Kenny over at the Community College while on my way to Superquinn last week,

Don't know whether he was visiting the school or what, but he kept the head down and looked like he didn't want to be approached by anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭the_one_&_only

He was in there with Derek Keating and William Lavelle trying to get votes from the students who are over 18 and registered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Should be a good election in Lucan.

My views are:

Labour : Havent heard a thing from her since elected, so she wont get a vote.

Gogarthy: Regular news letters so give him credit for that.

Curran: Some news letters.

Keating is good but seems to be concentrating on local issues in Lucan for his election, prefer to see his views and recommendations for improving the economy. Local politics is for the councillors which Laville and keating do well on.

Hard one to decide on really!

As much as I hate the Greens, Paul Gogarthy is a good TD for Lucan. He's always at any residents meetings, sending out newsletters. He actually talks and listens to people. Although we still haven't gotten our swimming pool mad.gif

Derek Keating is good too, but as a councillor, don't know how he'll be like as a TD. He failed the last election.

Frances Fitzgerald talks the talk, but that's it.

Haven't heard from Labour, I'm convinced they don't want to win this election, much happier to go for a coalition and then pull out of it when they want to be heros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,184 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

FitzGerald knocked on my door. Very quick off the mark.
    I saw Enda Kenny over at the Community College while on my way to Superquinn last week,

Don't know whether he was visiting the school or what, but he kept the head down and looked like he didn't want to be approached by anybody.

He called into Coláiste Cois Life, too. My kids said he was asked questions by students and waffled and didn't answer straight.
    Labour : Havent heard a thing from her since elected, so she wont get a vote.

Isn't Tuffy's job to be in the Dáil? If I want stuff done in the locale shouldn't I go to my county councillors?

If FG and LP play their cards right they can win 2 seats each.

gogarty might be better to go solo, he might suffer by being associated with the greens

Pherekydes wrote: »
    FitzGerald knocked on my door. Very quick off the mark.

He called into Coláiste Cois Life, too. My kids said he was asked questions by students and waffled and didn't answer straight.

Isn't Tuffy's job to be in the Dáil? If I want stuff done in the locale shouldn't I go to my county councillors?

If FG and LP play their cards right they can win 2 seats each.

Yes Tuffy job is the Dail liek Gogarthy and Curran, but Gogarthy and Curran send out quaterly newsletters about what they are doing in the dail etc, Tuffy does nothing

Yes Tuffy job is the Dail liek Gogarthy and Curran, but Gogarthy and Curran send out quaterly newsletters about what they are doing in the dail etc, Tuffy does nothing

I get a lot of unsolicited mail, usually from the Greens and FF. I've also got some from FG, but as you point out, none from Labour.

So, kudos to Labour.

On top of that, Gogarty and Curran both supported the current catastrophic government.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I get a lot of unsolicited mail, usually from the Greens and FF. I've also got some from FG, but as you point out, none from Labour.

So, kudos to Labour.

On top of that, Gogarty and Curran both supported the current catastrophic government.

Yes they both did support them.

But you got to ask do you have anymore confidence in the FG and Lab doing any better if the current climate continues?

Also in the last election all parties were shouting spend and tax cuts, so all parties would of doom us.

Also do you have any confidence in the coalition lasting more than 2 years going by labour's past history?

To be honest the way i see it, our economy will only improve from factors outside our goverment(whoever they are) control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Its a bit grim in Dublin midwest. There is nobody out there that I want to vote for yet.

Yes they both did support them.

But you got to ask do you have anymore confidence in the FG and Lab doing any better if the current climate continues?

It's a case of anyone but FF. FG and LP deserve a chance, and the country deserves a change.
    Also in the last election all parties were shouting spend and tax cuts, so all parties would of doom us.

A major factor was the state of financial regulation in this country. It was non-existent. Under FG and LP, things wouldn't have gotten quite out of hand, though I expect that the main damage was done well prior to the last election.
    Also do you have any confidence in the coalition lasting more than 2 years going by labour's past history?

FG and LP have worked well together in the past and I expect them to reach some sort of compromise in the national interest. I expect them to last 4+ years, without actually clinging onto power at the expense of the country the way FF have.

Frances Fitzgerald just knocked my door! Answered a few of my questions well, but nothing to swing a vote in my favour.

Labour has never worked well in government with anyone. They have never lasted a full term with the same party.

Labour are already fighting in public with Fine Gael, this is an embarassment. How can we expect them to form a good goverment?

Only way forward seems to be a FG goverment, and that hurts to say it.

PS FG and LP dont deserve a chance, you got to earn it, tv debates will be very good this year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Who's the SF member running in Dublin Mid- West?

• Advertisement

Who's the SF member running in Dublin Mid- West?

Eoin O'Broin is the SF candidate.

anyone new running?
    I think the 4 will be

Fitzgerald
    Keating
    Gogarty
    Curran or Tuffy

Joanna Tuffy just confirmed how much of a bellend she can be. She and her team posed for photos near my sisters estate, but didn't bother to talk any of the residents who wanted to. She was happy to post leaflets. My sisters boyfriend put the leaflet in the bin, and she screamed how she was a councillor and he should treat her with more respect. My sister then told her to talk to them, but she just walked off!

I've been surprised by the lack of election literature so far. To date i've gotten Labour and FG flyers through the door via An Post and one from an independent. Was expecting a deluge but thankfully it's been pretty quiet.

lord lucan wrote: »
    I've been surprised by the lack of election literature so far. To date i've gotten Labour and FG flyers through the door via An Post and one from an independent. Was expecting a deluge but thankfully it's been pretty quiet.

I've had every single candidate calling to my door bar Joanna Tuffy. Fair few leaflets too.

I've had no-one call to the door.

Mustn't like me so!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

As much as I hate the Greens, Paul Gogarthy is a good TD for Lucan. He's always at any residents meetings, sending out newsletters. He actually talks and listens to people. Although we still haven't gotten our swimming pool

That is why we have councillors! Gogarty has done nothing bar try and take credit for the councillors' work.
    Also, his last couple of newsletters have concentrated on new traffic lights in the village.
    Big deal. He did nothing when the green waste centre on Esker Lane was shut down. Funny how he kept quiet about that.

Derek Keating is good too, but as a councillor, don't know how he'll be like as a TD. He failed the last election.

Very true. He'll pick up a lot of Lucan votes. Remains to be seen if he can translate being a good councillor to a national level.

Frances Fitzgerald talks the talk, but that's it.

Haven't heard anything from her

Haven't heard from Labour, I'm convinced they don't want to win this election, much happier to go for a coalition and then pull out of it when they want to be heros.

Agreed.

I was out this evening and found a flyer from Tuffy/Labour in the postbox when I got home. First one I've got apart from one of the loony left candidates.
    I live up by Willsbrook Park.
    Anyone else live up this way? Have you seen any canvassers or politicians yet?
    I'm dying to get stuck into them! :D

Not one candidate has called to my door in awhile!!!

As for Joanne Tuffy, nobody has heard from her or any labour councillor or td in lucan in over five years!

The only thing they seemed to of done is made lucan worst, ie the 25b thru foxborough and now the new depot they are supporting in Griffeen park.

They wont be getting my vote.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Getting plenty of leaflets in the letterbox, but I haven't had a single canvasser or candidate knock at my door yet (that I know of). I'm not expecting any, either. Not a single caller during the local/european elections. And at the last general election I only remember having one candidate come to the door. I guess they stick to the nicer, more affluent areas of Lucan.

I saw Fitzgerald at Superquinn last week. She was standing around having a chat with her helpers for about an hour. Didn't seem too bothered about handing out leaflets or talking to people. She must be pretty confident about getting elected.

• Advertisement

can't believe Tuffy is top of the boards poll, she has done sweet FA AFAIK in the area

Advertisement