Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Meter Rigging

Options
  • 22-01-2011 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

No am not looking for advice how to rig an ESB meter! But am wondering is it easy to do so? I ask because...

Myself & partner have lived in apartment complex since June 2008 and until Oct 2009 our Bi-monthly bills ranged €60(summer)-€90 (winter). The Meter Cupboard in the basement of the complex was kept open and it was easy to read your own meter.

In Nov 2009, the Meter cupboard was locked up, and co-incidentally (perhaps), our bills have shot up to between €140-160?

The thing is we are both at work all day, we are very conscious of turning of appliances, lights etc - as we have been since we moved in. Our energy consumption patterns have not changed, so we cannot understand the marked increases?

Could someone else be syphoning our ESB supply? Paranoid I know, and am not sure really if its possible?

Has anyone experience/knowledge of this type of thing happening?

ps our storage heating hasnt worked since Jan 2010 either so we cant even guess it was down to that...

thanks everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd guess you getting estimated bills now. If you can't access the meter then the meter reader person can't. They'll have a little "e" beside your meter reading.

You should be able to request the key to the cupboard from you're management agent if you own and landlord if you rent to give the correct readings in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭daithi2011

You can contact the ESB and tell them you think something is wrong. They will charge you to call out, but will refund all of the charge if they find a problem.

Advertisement