Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning to leave my job

Options
  • 22-01-2011 5:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm currently in a job for the last 12-13 months with a start up (4 years old) or so that I'm thinking of leaving.

The job itself can be ok, but i'm not happy with the pay or work hours required and im not too happy in the City that its located in either (lots of reasons to leave :P )

Despite probably never working a "normal" work week since I started they are still suggesting I should be doing more in the evenings or possibly working some weekends. I basically said I wouldn't be working evenings and would only work weekends if really required. (Im on a salary and do not get paid overtime)

As previously mentioned Im not happy with the pay im on either. Despite being in work the longest out of all my class mates from college, Im the lowest paid that im aware of, by a seizable margin.

I had my annual pay review this month and the although in fairness I did receive a respectable percentage increase in my salary, I started off on such a low wage that i'm still well behind my former class mates, and its very possible that when their annual reviews come up that they will be even further ahead.

I asked for more and I was refused. My boss said that he didnt want me to leave and that he understood the risk he was taken in not offering me what i wanted (which was not extravagant, I was looking to be brought in line with what the majority of my class are on, who are still in the first year of employment ,before their benefits (i don't get any benefits).

So since then without, looking too hard, there surprisingly seems to be plenty of opertunites for me, so its looking very likely that in the next 6 months I will be leaving. My question is, should I let work know that I am planning on leaving? At this stage now I would leave even if I did get a payrise.

Contractually, I only need to give one months notice.

I also have the problem that I will hopefully have to start going to interviews over the coming months, my boss is no fool and will probably know why Im taking random days off midweek.

Truth be told, my boss is a decent guy, I understand his need to play hardball with my wages, the product that we have released is only starting the gain traction now and isnt making money yet ( although the company does have subcontracts too) and every extra hour he gets off me on my salary is probably staving off hiring someone else, but at the end of the day I need to be looking after numero uno :)

any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

From what I read, you're leaving anyway. So you can take a few liberties and refuse to jump through hoops. So flat out tell your boss that you are not in a position to work outside the core hours of your contract, except in emergencies.

I was in a similar position. I had a horrible commute and they took me on at such a low wage, gave considerable pay rises (as a percentage!), and constantly reminded me "look, we know we're not paying you the going rate but we have pay freezes, promotion bans, etc etc"

Some people said I was crazy to leave, but when you get off to a bad start, financially or otherwise, and you're always playing catch up it just puts you off wanting to work there. I don't regret leaving!

Don't tell your boss you're thinking of leaving... plan your escape route and then give him a month's notice, or if you're nice about it slightly longer.
    If he really wants you for, say, 3 months you can play hardball and try to recover some of the money he withheld from you over the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

My question is, should I let work know that I am planning on leaving? At this stage now I would leave even if I did get a payrise.

Contractually, I only need to give one months notice.

I also have the problem that I will hopefully have to start going to interviews over the coming months, my boss is no fool and will probably know why Im taking random days off midweek.

Truth be told, my boss is a decent guy

Do not EVER tell, until you're 1000% certain that there's no going back. (You currently sound about 99.99999% certain only ... that's a long way short of 1000 ... yup, three zeros there).

Let your boss figure it out. If he asks, don't answer the question directly.

Advertisement