Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pads or roller

• 22-01-2011 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

hi, im going to paint my apartment, i just have a simple question, which are better, paint pads or rollers and brushes? in woodies, they have a simple paint pad set. it contains a few pads big and small, the small ones look nifty for going around sockets etc.. any advice is welcomed, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Defo go for the roller and a nice brush. A good roller with a nice nap can make a huge difference. As always prep up your walls really well before appling any paints.

Phil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

hi, im going to paint my apartment, i just have a simple question, which are better, paint pads or rollers and brushes? in woodies, they have a simple paint pad set. it contains a few pads big and small, the small ones look nifty for going around sockets etc.. any advice is welcomed, thanks

Use masking tape or sellotape and stick it to the new roller brush a few times,before you use it.

This takes any loose bits out of the roller and you dont end up getting them stuck to the wall with the paint.

I found out the hard way and spent hours sanding back don the wall to get all the bits back out of the wall.

I also just bought a Stanley paint pad set.

The small paint pads are quite good for edging in corners and along ceilings,coving and skirting boards too.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

cheers lads, great advice, i bought cheap brushes tho, they were 4.99 for 5 brushes. is it worth buying more expensive rollers and brushes?? i bought the stanley pad set, going to use the small pads for around the sockets. thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Roller and good brush spend the extra few quid on the brush or you'll spend the time picking the hairs off the wall. Better to use a large brush like a 2" for the edges.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

cheers lads, great advice, i bought cheap brushes tho, they were 4.99 for 5 brushes. is it worth buying more expensive rollers and brushes?? i bought the stanley pad set, going to use the small pads for around the sockets. thanks again

Throw out the cheapo brushes,they fall to bits in no time at all.

As another poster has said,you will spend more time picking loose brush hairs off the wet painted wall.

Buy a few good decent 2 inch brushes instead.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Use the cheap brushes for wiping the dust of the skirting boards :))

Can I also say please use Crown or Dulux paint, none of the diy branded paints..... you'll never get the same finish and the quality shows through for a lot longer. Take your time.......

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

woodies do a dosco roller that has arms on both sides of roller making it very sturdy and robust, costs €19.99 but worth every penny. Been thru 3/4 rollers this week but this thing is the bomb. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

I'd go roller with 2" brush to finish. I use a gloss roller for emulsion paints, it's got a tighter pile so you need to load up paint more frequently - but you get a smoother finish than with an emulsion roller. Buy your supplies at a painters pro shop rather than at Woodies and you'll save a bomb.

I've converted to Farrow & Ball paints recently. Pricey at first glance, but when you consider how big a contribution/m2 they give (compared to how much you spend on furniture/flooring), the paint is as cheap as chips. It just can't be beat for depth of colour.

Advertisement