Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bird C&C

• 22-01-2011 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Ok, I posted a bad example in the "when things go wrong" thread, so here is one that worked - least as far as I can tell. Any thoughts?

34094D9F2ABB4838AA4CEBE345F3FFC6-0000314495-0002134707-00640L-80D1756B17F1406796BCD18E0FBBC21F.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I like it, Redbreast looks alive in contrast to the snow.

Was a lower angle an option still keeping the snow in the frame ?
    Bit more sparkle in the eye might help, I always get drawn to the eyes first.
    NJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Looks like a Chaffinch, not a bad shot technically (focus point on the eye, nice and sharp. Colours good) but lacks a bit of habitat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

My bird shots are usually the opposite, too busy! Too many branches/twigs/leaves surrounding the bird.

I like this, it's nice and simple, but at the same time it is a little bare. No real need for all the empty white to the right. Might be nicer cropped portrait orientation? tighter in on the bird itself. Nice little bird it is too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

I like the negative space but I would prefer if the bird was looking into frame rather than out of it. Also there seems to be a blown spot in the lower half of the white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

njburke wrote: »
    I like it, Redbreast looks alive in contrast to the snow.

Was a lower angle an option still keeping the snow in the frame ?

Bit more sparkle in the eye might help, I always get drawn to the eyes first.

NJ
    Unfortunately the angle was “controlled” by the fore and background. I would have liked to be more head on, but you have to take what you can get! ;)
    Borderfox wrote: »
    Looks like a Chaffinch, not a bad shot technically (focus point on the eye, nice and sharp. Colours good) but lacks a bit of habitat.
    I was aiming for a more simple shot of just the bird, with no distractions. Which of course means that the technical side needs to be spot on, as every mistake is amplified.

On that note I am interested if people find the lack of a habitat a distraction in itself? Do we expect to see birds in a tree surrounded by leaves and twigs? And does any change from that norm not work?
    My bird shots are usually the opposite, too busy! Too many branches/twigs/leaves surrounding the bird.

I like this, it's nice and simple, but at the same time it is a little bare. No real need for all the empty white to the right. Might be nicer cropped portrait orientation? tighter in on the bird itself. Nice little bird it is too.
    As above I was aiming for simple, but I wanted to show a little scale as well – small bird, big world! :D

Might try for portrait, once I’m happy with my overall hit rate.
    I like the negative space but I would prefer if the bird was looking into frame rather than out of it. Also there seems to be a blown spot in the lower half of the white.
    Completely agree, it would have been great if she/he was looking slightly the other way, but I had a feeling it was on to me – seconds later I was staring at empty space

Blown spot spotted! Some PP work to be done – thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Sometimes lack of habitat can work, I spent half an hour outside a garden centre in the car to get some of these.
    CC55E98F313047CF871803E186C2CCE9-0000314346-0002092201-00800L-E29C184018144F0FB5566EE956EF9AD9.jpg

And it was worth the wait!
    Great shot, the detail is perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Well.. it looks like.. a bird.

But seriously, both of the shots in this thread thus far are wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I have the complete picture!! Habitat and space! :p

2642F5222C3C492681B37B00E43FA467-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Your robin ate all the pies by the looks of it :D

great shots all round.

• Advertisement

I have the complete picture!! Habitat and space! :p
    Ah now you are just boasting! :D

Have to say though, yours is far the cuddlier to look at - so she/he wins the cute award :p

The tail, thats what mine is missing...

The habitat puts it in a place, but what the your two examples have is a tail, it just seems to add to the over all picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Thought I had a Robin in my birds folder.

Got this at Rogerstown Estuary in Rush which is alive at the moment with nesting birds

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]4650103104_51c234b1ae.jpg[/EMAIL]">

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]4365873005_677994fbd2.jpg[/EMAIL]">

Could do with being a little closer in each shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Excellent shots of the Curlew Leo, I had a chance to shoot one of them a few months ago in Baldoyle but the lighting was horrendous, yours are fantastic...How far is Rush from town lol! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Excellent shots of the Curlew Leo, I had a chance to shoot one of them a few months ago in Baldoyle but the lighting was horrendous, yours are fantastic...How far is Rush from town lol! :(

There are plenty of Curlews and oyster catchers on the estuary along with some others. Not sure of their names but brent geese, starlings are some. This link will/ should get you to my set from Estuary
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/25899546@N03/sets/72157623529149675/

Travel time, By car about 25minutes. Bus about an hour and by train about 20minutes.

When you go through Lusk heading for Rush go over railway bridge and after about half a mile there will be a right turn siign posted Rogerstown. Drive along that road (Spout Rd) and turn right at estuary. Its about 15-20minute walk from train station. There are a lot of birds nesting there at the moment and its a popular feeding place for migrating birds also.

If yoiu plan a trip out pm me or Balfey72. I will let you know when we have a group outing down there again, probably 3 or 4 weeks time.

Thanks for comments

Advertisement