Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant in Galway

Options
  • 22-01-2011 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hey, I'm planning on going out for a meal with the OH for Valentines Day and was just wondering does anyone know of anywhere that caters for the more adventurous like me AND the faddy eaters (like him)? Thanks for help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Ate in The Malt House in Galway last year and it was superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Cled

Was in Bar No 8 on the docks Saturday night. Was very busy and menu had really unusual dishes but something for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭MiniSquish

Have been to the Malthouse a number of times with my Dad and I do agree it is lovely but definitely too sophisticated a menu for the boyfriend :) I'll check out the Bar No. 8 suggestion. Thanks for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Always a challenge to match to different palates.
    • Park House would be a safe choice with Excellent food and consistent quality.
    • Martines Wine Bar, has a good mix of solid favorites with some special dishes.
    • Bar 8 is worth a visit.
    • Cava is special but very Spanish.
    • Ard Bia is good, but check the menu with OH.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had thought of Cava but I looked the menu up and he DEFINITELY wouldn't eat anything there. Bar No. 8 looks interesting although I cant find a menu online. I completely didn't think about Park House- thanks for suggesting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

you wont find an up to date menu for bar 8 online because it changes week to week

The only thing that is always on it is the sirloin steak which is a really lovely steak but if he wont eat this id give it a miss. it would be lucky if he would have anything off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Ard Bia is defo my fave place in Galway - never leave without a visit. But I brought the OH to the Pullman Restaurant in Glenlo Abbey and it was fantastic. Old school service and it's a bit of a novelty, food was fantastic, quite traditional. But very well executed.

Ya I was actually thinking about the Pullman Restaurant but then when I looked at the menu I saw it was too much for the boyfriend. He is literally a burger kind of guy, doesn't like roasts, anything exotic at all. Very basic eater- Chicken Curry, Burgers, Lasagne, that kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 thatone

I love The Malt house. Ard bia @ nimmos have great reputation too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

Sorry to dig up the thread but I didn't want to create a new one for the same/similar query.

I'm heading to Galway too and wanted to see if the above recommendations still stand.

If there are any others to consider please let me know also.

I checked out all the menus and they all look pretty interesting.

@ olaola - is the Pullman's expensive? the online menu had no prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Kai Cafe & Restaurant is supposed to be very nice (link to a review here).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

I ate at Ard Bia last week. It was great.

Thanks for the updates.

Kai seems like its going on the list

Going in Mid July and will post back my choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

quazzy wrote: »

@ olaola - is the Pullman's expensive? the online menu had no prices.

It ain't cheap! It would be a 'special dinner' kind of place. Here's a sample menu: http://www.glenlo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/pullmanMenu_September2010.pdf But they have a Table d'Hote menu for €35 http://www.glenlo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Pullman35Euros-for-the-website1.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Cava is still my favourite restaurant in Galway (or anywhere tbh), not too pricey either.

Hi all,

First off - a big thanks to all who contributed and recommend here.

Very much appreciated

Was in Galway for a couple of nights during the arts festival and ended up going to Ard Bia at Nimmos and then went The Malt House the second night.

We planned to go to Kai on the seoncd night and made a booking but our timing failed us and we had to cancel the booking so we went to Malt House.

I took a few photos on my old nokia and I'll see if I they are postable (quality is a bit crap)

Suffice to say the wife and I were very happy with both offerings.

Ard Bia is very relaxed and casual in its service but the offerings (food and drink) are excellent.

Lovely Bread and dips with Irish rapeseed oil (instead of olive oil) when we sat down.
    breado.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/9/breado.jpg

Wine by the glass, carafe or bottle and a very tempting pile of daily specials.

For starters: I had the special Lobster and Muscle Risotto and the wife had a lamb shank terrine with rocket.
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/832/risotton.jpg/

Both were very good dishes although I think the wife got the pick of them. The Lobster was a little lost in my risotto (but thats a very minor complaint really) I ate every morsel (and muscel)

For Mains: I had the Poached Ray wings on a bed of salad leaves, spuds, anchovies and olives.
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/534/rayg.jpg/
    I already had eaten one of the 2 wings by the time I got around to taking the photo

The Wife had a special from the board. It was sea trout on lentils (I think)

Fish in both cases was very well handled.

No room for desserts hear as the portions are VERY generous but we were tempted.

Malt House is a more formal dining room with suited (professional) wait staff.

Only took two photos here of the starters.
    Mine: Crab on Potato Bread
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/508/crabg.jpg/
    Wifey ordered a pork belly dish on some cabbage with a cider jus (Fancy Bacon and Cabbage really)
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/109/porkbelly.jpg/

HUGE amount of crab on my starter (i had already eaton one of the 3 crab portions when I took the snap.) And there was some sorrel leaves there too which added to an already good plate.

For mains I have a Rib-Eye steak with pepper sauce and chunky chips
    Wife ordered a special from the board. Pan fired Turbot on a tomato and aubergine risotto.

The reason there is no photos is that I couldn't stop eating my steak. I dont eat a lot of steak at home or in restaurants but I just thought it was a great bit of meat.I always get sauces in the side (just in case it ruins the meat). Its a good job too because I thought the peppar suace was a bit poor. I tasted a little like a gravey with extra vinegar and some black peppers - very strange. Chips were good enough nothing special but I really relished the steak.

Wifey's fish was well cooked and the risotto was interesting too. The only thing I could fault is the presentation was very red. Shame I forgot to take a snap that would explain it better.

Had some time to digest and we shared a dessert - Lemon Tart with a Basil Sorbet - both elements worked well together here and it finished the meal nicely.

One note on the service in the Malt House. WE had our starters within 15 minutes of sittin down and then the mains came within 5 minutes of the starter - very quick. It was a Friday night and perhaps they wanted to turn the table.
    When the dessert menu came we said we'd take a few minutes to decide. Waitress came back in 5 and asked again. We said we'd need another 5 minutes and she took the hint and left us alone until we we ready to order.

All in all we ate very well in Galway and would happily recommend both places to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

I'm looking to try O'Grady's on the Pier in Barna. Its a special meal with family. Any recommendations or steer clear of the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to Galway City from Food & Drink in agreement with local mods.

tHB

Advertisement