Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LLM Criminal Justice

• 22-01-2011 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I'm really interested in doing the Masters in Criminal Justice, currently in final year in law in UL, have a 2:1 at present. The entry requirements specify that you need a 2:1 to be considered but I've heard it's extremely competitive and you would need a 1:1, is there anyone on here who's studying/studied it and who could let me know if I have a chance? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I know several people that did it with a 2:1

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lily Belle

Thanks for that, fingers crossed it'll be enough! Does anyone have any feedback on what the course is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LegalEagle89

Did the criminal justice masters and thought it was fantastic, really well organised and a great talking point to employers and the like afterwards.

Be prepared for a tough year because unlike some other masters it is hard work and you will have a fairly packed schedule between observing in court and doing the other placements such a prison visits, trips with the Gardai, probation service, immigration and refugee service, children's court on fridays etc. Thats all on top of what the general masters crew are doing as regards the millions of essays and thesis preparation. Did more work in 1 year than I ever did in 3 years of a degree!

I got in on a 2:1 and they didn't query it... to be honest say they're delighted to be getting the 7 grand from anywhere these days!

On thing I would say to you is only do it if you have a genuine interest in criminal law, if you're looking to go applying to commercial firms after you graduate they are likely to have no interest in your expertise.

Any more questions PM me I would say I'm practically an expert in all things law at UCC by now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Did the criminal justice masters and thought it was fantastic, really well organised and a great talking point to employers and the like afterwards.

Be prepared for a tough year because unlike some other masters it is hard work and you will have a fairly packed schedule between observing in court and doing the other placements such a prison visits, trips with the Gardai, probation service, immigration and refugee service, children's court on fridays etc. Thats all on top of what the general masters crew are doing as regards the millions of essays and thesis preparation. Did more work in 1 year than I ever did in 3 years of a degree!

I got in on a 2:1 and they didn't query it... to be honest say they're delighted to be getting the 7 grand from anywhere these days!

On thing I would say to you is only do it if you have a genuine interest in criminal law, if you're looking to go applying to commercial firms after you graduate they are likely to have no interest in your expertise.

Any more questions PM me I would say I'm practically an expert in all things law at UCC by now!

Is the course centred on criminal law? I have a degree in criminal justice studies and was thinking of taking this masters, but I was hoping it would be focused on criminology and victimology, am I completely of the mark here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Is the course centred on criminal law? I have a degree in criminal justice studies and was thinking of taking this masters, but I was hoping it would be focused on criminology and victimology, am I completely of the mark here

There's a separate Master's in Criminology in the Sociology department. That's probably more orientated towards your interests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 LegalEagle89

I would agree with Byron85. I did study penology and criminology as modules but I would say that the course is more geared towards future solicitors and barristers involved in criminal litigation, and aims to make them more aware of the different areas in criminal justice system- the role of social workers, probation officers, gardai etc in that system.

Take a look at the taught modules on the UCC website and it'll give you a fairly good idea what is involved. http://www.ucc.ie/en/lawsite/postgrad/llmcriminal/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

I would agree with Byron85. I did study penology and criminology as modules but I would say that the course is more geared towards future solicitors and barristers involved in criminal litigation, and aims to make them more aware of the different areas in criminal justice system- the role of social workers, probation officers, gardai etc in that system.

Take a look at the taught modules on the UCC website and it'll give you a fairly good idea what is involved. http://www.ucc.ie/en/lawsite/postgrad/llmcriminal/

How many hours are involved, would I need to move to Cork to study this Masters, I live in Waterford and would prefer to drive up and down

I have studied modules in policing practices, incarceration law, sentencing practices, probation and sociology. Do you think these would be of benefit to this Masters? Also studied 4 modules in Crim Law and loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 looney-toone

How many hours are involved, would I need to move to Cork to study this Masters, I live in Waterford and would prefer to drive up and down

I have studied modules in policing practices, incarceration law, sentencing practices, probation and sociology. Do you think these would be of benefit to this Masters? Also studied 4 modules in Crim Law and loved it.

Really interested to know what the timetable is like... I accepted a place on the course today. Could anyone advise me of what the work load is like?? Hours per week/exams etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 43 lablab

hi there folks

can i ask if anyone had an interview with these guys prior to joining the masters course ?

I do not have a law degree but am hoping to complete FE1's this september.
    Do u think this would cause a problem? have a 2.1 economics and politics degree from Trinity.

Tks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

lablab wrote: »
    hi there folks

can i ask if anyone had an interview with these guys prior to joining the masters course ?

I do not have a law degree but am hoping to complete FE1's this september.
    Do u think this would cause a problem? have a 2.1 economics and politics degree from Trinity.

Tks

no law degree - no go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 lablab

what makes u say so mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 roro88

hi i was just wondering did you go ahead with the masters in criminal justice in ucc. i have go accepted for the course however i am unsure on what the job opportunities are like from obtaining the masters. I would be very grateful if you could let me know what you thought of the course. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyfratelli_x

I have also accepted a place on this course, looking forward to it, but Id say it will be a tough year. Does anyone know roughly when we will be starting? Late September or October?

Advertisement