Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bipolar Meds and alcohol

Options
  • 22-01-2011 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi guys, I didnt know to post this here or in the psychology forum, anyway, here it goes..................... my mother has bipolar, she is on antipsychotic meds, antidepressants and mood stabalizers. Her condition is not very stable too me as she misses a lot of work with tiredness and feeling down, I feel her bipolar is not under control. She tends to binge drink maybe once a week maybe more, where she could have up to 10 pints!!!!! In the past she has had problems with drink. Im sure she knows that she shouldnt be drinking on thses particular tablets. She tells me her psychiatrist told her its ok. I feel it cant be, if these tablets are to make her feel better surely the alcohol does something to the meds to put them off track.
    Ok so I would love to have the right jargon to put my point accross to her about her drinking. up to now when i haave spoken to the I have always become very emotional and upset, but maybe i could try a different tact, with INFORMATION about the affects of alcohol on Bipolar medication!
    Any advice would be greatly appricated.
    P.S. sorry about the spelling:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

You need to find out the name of the medication. Google it along with 'alcohol interactions' or something similar and you will find the answer. www.Bluelight.ru is a good drug harm reduction site, it might be worth a look there.

You are right about the drinking, 10 pints in one sitting isn't good for anyone especially someone suffering from depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I think the LTI forum is more suitable for you post. Hope that is ok with the mods there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dublogic

Hi Kindnessnow,

To be clear there is no way that a psychiatrist would have said that taking alcohol when on meds was ok. Period. All it does is compounds the misery, yours and hers. A lot of BP meds are prescribed on an ongoing basis i.e. if the current prescription works then stick with that if it doesent then the psychiatrist may perscribe something else. Its a tenous balance at best and the alcohol compleley negates the postitive impact of these medicines.

Can I make a suggestion... get support for yourself before you confront your Mum again - there are support groups for familes of BP sufferers - its not just those who have the BP who are suffering and it would be good for you to talk to others in a similar situation. You are not alone.

Advertisement