Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

San Francisco Marathon 2011

• 22-01-2011 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Guys,

New to this forum but long time observer. I've been running for about 2 years, done a few 10k runs in 40mins and completed my first marathon (Dub2010) in 3:40, looking to branch out and do one abroad.

Anyone know anything about the SanFran marathon? Anyone ever done it before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Caprica

I imagine it would be a tough race, it is a very hilly city. Was there on holidays and had a few runs in the city, very up and down, found it tough on legs. Ran across the golden gate bridge which was very impressive, it is now included in the marathon route. The course record is 2:25. It's on in July so it would probably be hot but I did find San Fran very up and down weatherwise compared to the likes of LA

http://www.thesfmarathon.com/the-race/course-maps/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

Did it about 6 years ago. Despite SF being hilly the marathon route avoids most of the major hills in the city. Also the microclimate in the area means that it is not oppressively hot during the day. However there can be a significant amount of fog that obscures the view. Indeed when I did it we crossed the Golden Gate Bridge and visibility was pretty bad. No view!

It also starts very early – 0520 when I did it so the first few miles are during darkness. Because of this crowd support can be a bit limited.

SF is a lovely city to visit but I don’t know if I would go out of my way just to do the marathon there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Brother-in-law has done SF twice. Here's his comments :

It is late July, so expect foggy and cool weather. There are hills to contend with, but you also get to run the Golden Gate Bridge. The race attracts 15,000 to 18,000 runners, and starts at 5:30 a.m. with a staggered start. The course is nice, except for the end, which winds through a warehouse district. But then its on to AT&T Park -- home of the SF Giants -- and the finish.

Advertisement