Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.5" Hard Drives

• 22-01-2011 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I was sorting out some of my stuff last night, and I realised I have 4 laptop harddrives of varying GB's, but add up to over 500Gb. I repair computers and these are parts that I have pulled from damaged machines. The harddrives themselves are in perfect working condition. I'm wondering what I can do with them? I'm not gonna sell them as I know I wouldn't get much and I'm always looking for more storage anyway. Is there any way I could set them up as a mass storage device?

I did something similar with a load of 3.5"s last year, got an old pc and turned it into a home server. But how would I do it with 2.5" drives? I'd also be looking for something that would be as low as possible in terms of power consuming. Anyone got any idea's?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You could turn them into external hd's, you can buy enclosures fairly cheap... example:

http://www.dabs.ie/products/best-value-2-5--sata-hdd-enclosure-aluminium-usb-2-0-5JFF.html

If the drives are sata, you can just connect them normally, your PC won't care what physical size they are. Should have same power/etc connectors....

http://techreport.com/articles.x/9378

You just need to find a way to stop them moving around in the PC :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

jrochie wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I was sorting out some of my stuff last night, and I realised I have 4 laptop harddrives of varying GB's, but add up to over 500Gb. I repair computers and these are parts that I have pulled from damaged machines. The harddrives themselves are in perfect working condition. I'm wondering what I can do with them? I'm not gonna sell them as I know I wouldn't get much and I'm always looking for more storage anyway. Is there any way I could set them up as a mass storage device?

I did something similar with a load of 3.5"s last year, got an old pc and turned it into a home server. But how would I do it with 2.5" drives? I'd also be looking for something that would be as low as possible in terms of power consuming. Anyone got any idea's?

Sell em. Handy upgrades for a PS3 or laptop but too slow for anything decent.

Advertisement