Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Husky info help

• 22-01-2011 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and just wondered if some experienced husky owners who might be out there could help me?

I have been wanting to get a Siberian husky for years now (before they seem to have become quite the popular dog). In the last two years I now have my own house with my fiance. She knows iv been obsessed with them forever and we said in the coming year we will get a dog (husky being obviously my first choice but if its not fair i just dont know).

Id like to start by saying I have done a lot of research on the breed and that is why I have not got one before now and also this is more research so I am not just jumping the gun getting a dog that looks nice!!
    And the reason im looking for more info is to see if it would be fair to the dog considering the circumstances because if it isent, as much as id hate to, I wouldnt get one.
    So firstly, Iv owned dogs before and we have always had red setter's in my family. Iv loved them and they have always lived a good long life. So I am not new to dogs.
    I know huskies are sled dogs and very active, possibly destructive if not exercised or actively engaged and are by no means your average dog. I know they cant be let off a leash when out on walks and runs (however iv bumped into an owner in my area who had her fella off which was nice to see! and was nice enought o talk to me about her sibe for awhile) i know they can be houdini's in the garden, digging holes or climbing, are pack dogs are not guard dogs.. etc etc
    So some info..
    We live in a 4 bed semi D with a decent sized backgarden, the fence is 6 ft high with a concrete base. I would ideally like the dog to sleep in the shed at night with the use of the garden and either come into the house or whichever it prefers during the day. (hopefully being with its pack inside :) )
    Our work schedule's and leaving the dog alone for a time is my main concern aswell as if it will escape from the garden,
    So I work shift work, so half the week im off but for 3 days i work long shifts (one of these days is the w/e when my fiance would be there with the dog). Also I live near to where I work so my plan would be to exercise the dog before I leave in the morning and to come home on break to walk her and to run again in the evening when i get home. Oh and every second month I work nights so I will be there during the day then. My fiance works a 9-4 regular hours aswell so she will be walking her too.
    my main concern is, is would this work?
    I see a lot of people writing about unless your home 24/7 dont get a husky, that just seems a little extreme as I dont know any one who works from home! I know they have to stop people from just buying a dog without doing real research but id like a realistic viewpoint aswell please whatever that may be.

Thanks in advance

P.s I hope iv covered everything there, I may have left some stuff out but il replly to any questions people have that could help, thanks again!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

cant give u any real info have never owned a husky, there is a great lady you should talk to as she runs irish sled dog rescue. she is on this board. she, i, imagine would be your best bet. seems like your really doing your home work so good on ya. and i hope everything works out for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The reason people say you have to be with a Sibe 24/7 is because they are 'huge' pack animals. They will howl non-stop if left alone, it's unlikely that you could leave one outside on it's own all night either for the same reason. I find it a bit strange you would leave the dog in during the day and out at night, any reason for this? You have mentioned your Fiance but your post focuses on you really, is your Fiance 100% on board with this because training the dog will come down to both of you.

Have a good look at this lot because you probably don't know half of what you would be in for even though you have done some research on the breed. A walk/run isn't going to be enough for these dogs, you are going to have to go cycling/hiking/mountaineering ;) don't underestimate them. Hopefully you'll make it through this lot in one piece!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056141507

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056133319

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056134436

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056124158

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Well done for doing lots of research, but that woman with the sibe off lead, hasn't lost the dog YET, so not a great idea.

You seem to work erratic hours, so I can't work out how long the dog would be on its own for, what do you think a weekly routine would be?

Whereabouts do you live, because of course there is the option of doggy daycare if necessary.

Why do you want the dog to sleep outside? I'm not saying it shouldn't, but you'd like it inside with you during the day, but then outside at night and I just wondered what the reason for that was.

BTW, I have 2 sibes looking for a home at the moment that might be perfect for you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 polar58

Firstly thanks for all the quick replies! Didnt expect so many so fast!

ISDW - I kind of had a feeling someone was going to say about her not having lost the dog yet!! :)

So yes my work hours are quite erratic, I work 12 hour shifts, usually 3 on then 4 off and vice versa then. Then the same on nights for a month.

adrenalinjunkie - Yes my fiance is on board too but like me she is concerned about whether or not a husky would be just a little too much for both us and the dog! She is keen to get a dog too though. So if we dont get a husky im sure we will end up going for another breed but its hard for me to even think about what that would be at the moment!
    For the sleeping outside thing I just thought maybe the husky would prefer it, I would be more than happy for it to sleep in the house so thats not a problem.
    Also I would be intending to be out on my mountain bike with the dog too ( i use to do a lot of mountain biking) so this is something id be wanting to do even more so than jogging with the dog.

My days off the dog would get lots of attention, just worried about the days id be in work.

And thanks for the links, il have a read through those threads aswell! ;)

thanks potgirl aswell!

Oh and I live in Kildare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

See alot of sibs malamute huskys in rescue these days. I can think of about6 this month in our local rescues. My neighbour has one but he is home most days and walks him regularly throughout the day. If he is out he brings it often. And his wife does the same once she is home. He doesnt bark or stir at all but is high energy and they have had issues with training him. Up the road one of the lads has a malamute and he brings it everywhere in his car. But when left home alone he often breaks away and ends up at our house. They are both lovely dogs but again.. know your breed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Polar, could be worth your while meeting some people with Sibes and getting their experiences, having a chat, meeting their dogs, and then doing more research and having a long hard think :) your situation sounds ok, as long as both you and your girlfriend agree and are up to it.

They can be a lot of work, and they definitely aren't for everyone, but I wouldn't change mine for for the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Just a suggestion! How about elkhounds? Nice size in comparision to the malamute! My sister has 2, fab dogs and so healthy! Oh the downside is very fond of the sound of their own voices if left alone but 2 together would be grand

Thanks for the replies guys,

koneko- thaks for your message, I think your right and Im still thinking it over and looking into everything, (maybe for another while! ;) )
    and
    liquoriceall - thanks, but im not getting a malamute to start, just that much bigger and I dont really love the elkhounds, but cheers for the suggestion!

the thinking goes on....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Silver Star

Hi polar

I was in a similar situation to yourself 3 years ago when it was time to get the family dog. I also work shift like yourself and the kids are in school till 4 ,3 bed semi with a large back garden. However we had little or no experience with dogs, the in-laws had a Yorki which we used to bring on walks now and again but that was it. I also like to run so needed a dog that could keep up with me (now its me trying to keep up with the dog)

We also did a lot of research and it came down to a Husky We got in contact with our local vet and they gave us some information about the breed and put us in contact with the local breeders.

We saw the breeders in Dec 07 and gave us a load of info and we got to see all their Husky and Mals, the breeders told us to come back in a month if we were still interested. Back we came in Feb 08 and had an interview with the breeders (we didn’t know it was going to be an interview) they had a list of questions to see if we were suitable to own a husky. Anyway we were picked and put on a waiting list. We were updated regularly and was always welcome to visit the breeders and the dogs.

Finally we picked up the our little Husky dog in Jan 09, had the walls built up over 6 feet, a 15 ft X 5 ft run built down the end of the garden, crates for indoors, dog kennels and all the toys you can think of. Took two weeks holiday to train the little ball of fur. I’ll tell no lies it was a nightmare, all the plans I had made for the 2 weeks went out the window. We couldn’t bring him out for walks because he still needed his second set of injections. He cried like a baby when put into the crate. Anyway after 2 weeks he settle down a bit, got him walking on leash, and sleeping the full night in the crate inside.

Roll on to the present day and after a lot of training, a lot of running, a lot of biking the dog is a jem, great with the kids, great with other dogs and full of energy. I’d say we heard him bark about 10 time in 2 years usually when the cats are on the shed roof. Howls only now and again for 2-3min usually early in the morning or more recently when its started to snow . The digging in the garden stopped when we started bringing him out on the bike. Shedding, if you want the keep the dog inside get an industrial strength hover, our lad sleep outside and the house is still covered in hair. He blew his coat for 4 month solid last year. Also duct tape for getting the hair of your clothes is handy.

I found a handy product on the internet that you attach to your bike called the Walkydog bike leash, this is a life saver, because if I had continued all that running with the dog I could have entered the Olympics in 2012. The dog now gets between 40-50km of biking and running (more biking than running now) every week. The minute he see the Walkydog leash he’ll be doing somersaults. If we have to leave him for more than 5-6 hours alone he will get his run first and his food in a KONG. He’ll be sleepy for a few hours after that.

Anyway just remember exercise, exercise and more excise and lost of attention you be grand, were are thinking of getting another husky (are we mad ). Only joking. Hope this helps, all the best.

Wow, Silver star thanks for the reply that was a great read and lots of useful info there! I appreciate the detail you put into it, Do you mind if i ask what breeders you went to when getting your little guy? former little guy im sure :)
    Oh and your garden sounds bigger than mine!

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Silver Star

Hi Polar

Check out Lueldar kennels,all the info is on the website.

All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kimmyt1987

Good to see there are more people like myself who are doing their homework on the breed before investing a HUGE amount of time, money and energy of this gorgeous breed!

Myself and the fiance are looking to get one too,
    I have done my homework and although it is gonna mean
    a lot of work, I cant wait! :D

I am currently getting the bike out of my mum's gargage where its been sitting gathering dust for a few years and quitting the costly, monthly gym membership.... it will be a nice change to have some company and competition and to say goodbye to those awful stuffy rooms full of excercise machines :)

Advertisement