Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowen to issue Statement at 2pm

Options
  • 22-01-2011 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭

just heard on rte radio. wonder what it'll be? has he thrown in the towel early?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭cutymonalisa

Could it be, finally...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Could it be, finally...

We have had too many false dawns to get excited. remember this is the guy who had such a brass neck that he stayed on after the embarrassment of the IMF coming here, a big of disquiet from the back benches wont make him walk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

He has zero chance of being leader of the country or his party after the General election, so how could he go back to being a back bench TD.

The sensible thing to do is to step down with what little dignity he has left. Sure, it's a staggering fall from grace, but he'll just have to live with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

It seems like this whole debacle is finally coming to an end. FF just do not understand how to generate good publicity for themselves anymore, mainly because they have no morals or class. Please let this statement today end it all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

the statement will be issued in the merrion hotel and not government buildings. thinking is that he'll resign as leader of ff but not as taoiseach.

what a complete farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'd prefer him to stay on. It lessens the chance of FF getting back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

That is not a possibility. It's FG and Labour or else FG.

Is the statement on television?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

the statement will be issued in the merrion hotel and not government buildings. thinking is that he'll resign as leader of ff but not as taoiseach.

what a complete farce.

Probably the most undignified exit of a leader I can remember, and I remember CJ and Albert.

That seemed to be what VB was hinting at last week...that if he went, it would only be as head of FF.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

He needs a political diversion.

He's gonna announce at 2 o clock that Ireland is at war with Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Manseragh basically confirming he's going to resign as leader of FF.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

FF will just be seen as even bigger farce now. Cowen has a lot of egg on his face if he resigns, and a bit less if he has to make a statement about continuing on as leader.

So much bad press around Cowen, he comes out fighting and wins a motion of confidence he puts down, pulls a stunt in the Dail which backfires and then goes on a media whoring bitching and whining about the Greens. Then, another rumble in the party and even more disquiet about him - despite them being "united" and "behind him". Now another statement due.

What an absolute farce of a party they are, and people gave out about the Fine Gael heave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

what a complete farce.

Looks like this is the scenario.
    FF get their way in dumping him as their leader but the nation still has to put up with him as Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Those TDs who voted confidence in him only 5 days ago will look like even bigger morons now, lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

FF are not going to get back in regardless if what Cowen does. Basically, they have a better chance of nicking a few more seats if he is replaced by someone else.

Funny how last election, it was Berties face adorning all of the FF election posters and it was probably was worth an extra 5-10% votes to them. This time round, the exact opposite would be true if Biffo's mug was on display. He is terminally damaged goods, and even the man himself might finally be about to admit that. Too little, too late for FF though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Michael martin is laughing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Manseragh basically confirming he's going to resign as leader of FF.

Manseragh is saying that he doesn't know what Cowen will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Lapin wrote: »
    He's gonna announce at 2 o clock that Ireland is at war with Germany.

I wish

Manseragh is saying that he doesn't know what Cowen will do.

He said he won't confirm or deny it. Politics talk for it's going to happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

FF are really rolling from one disaster now, to another.
    Can't feel the slightest bit sorry for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

LOL resigns as leader of FF but not Taoiseach. I do not see this bunch surviving Tuesday now. Well logically they shouldn't then again we have seen how logic doesn't exist for this Government, especially over the last few weeks.

gandalf wrote: »
    LOL resigns as leader of FF but not Taoiseach. I do not see this bunch surviving Tuesday now. Well logically they shouldn't then again we have seen how logic doesn't exist for this Government, especially over the last few weeks.

And I wonder were the Greens consulted about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

yeah, tue has to be D-Day for the sake of sanity at this stage. sooner the fookin better.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

And I wonder were the Greens consulted about this.

Well one never knows what happens between the odd couple.

Anyway it's the weekend they are off hugging badgers or something equally useless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

/grabs popcorn

Anything less than resignation from Tee-shock and the call for an immediate election is farce

Farce it is then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

@bryansixone

David McCullagh RTE reporting that that Brian Cowen to resign as FF leader but remain as Taoiseach until after election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Banana Republic, Septic Isle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Not good enough for his party but good enough for the country. I'm going to be sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭amovingstatue

ArtSmart wrote: »
    yeah, tue has to be D-Day for the sake of sanity at this stage. sooner the fookin better.

is the vote of every TD on tuesday going to be available for the public to access, just so we know the name of every f***er who keeps this pathetic excuse for a government going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

This SURELY has to be it? It's can't possibly be another statement that he is staying on - he said that yesterday therefor papers had to be correct that Lenihan told him to stand down. However standing down as leader of FF but remaining as leader of the country is not going to wash at all in any way.

Election will be a lot sooner than March 11th.

Advertisement