Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowen to issue Statement at 2pm

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

lugha wrote: »
    Cowen lost the former only in the last few days,

technically he hasn't. His decision to resign was his own, but you are correct otherwise and people should be mindful of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

hinault wrote: »
    Party before country, don't you know.
    I hope people will remember all of these FF shenanigans when voting on 11th March 2011.
    I know its been "party before people for some time" (see post 127) and have been saying that for years!
    It's a depressing state of affairs in regards to FF mentality and mode of operating.

There is still die-hards what will vote FF.
    I have an ageing uncle and despite the many, many crooked goings on, the wrong decisions, the lies and the hiding of truths, will still vote FF.

Sometimes its just unreal how thick and blind some people still can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

bye bye Biffo.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

And there is a flawed logic in arguing, that to be deficient in one job does not mean that they are deficient in another. They are entirely different jobs with mandates from different cohorts. Party leader requires the confidence of the parliamentary party. Being Taoiseach requires the confidence of the electorate. Cowen lost the former only in the last few days, he lost the latter a long time ago.

The leadership of FF is of no interest to me.

However when the incumbent FF leader is also the current Taoiseach and is trying to hold on to office during this country's economic implosion, then I think that it is not unreasonable to assert the view that I have in this regard.

If his own party accept his resignation as party leader, I don't see why the citizens of this country should be treated differently.

...If his own party accept his resignation as party leader, I don't see why the citizens of this country should be treated differently.
    ...Because in FF eyes, the rest of us come second or third in the queue of priorities!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Happyman42 wrote: »
    technically he hasn't. His decision to resign was his own, but you are correct otherwise and people should be mindful of that.
    Well I suppose he hasn't officially lost the backing of the party as they haven't voted on the matter. But in the same way you could argue that we can't say that he and FF have officially lost the support of the electorate until we vote on March 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Artsmart....breaking news....FG see the difference in 'Taoiseach' and 'Government'. :)

*Fine Gael to propose vote of No Confidence in Taoiseach
    LOL.
    so you're sayin the Taoiseach and the govt are two separate entities? wow. for real?

you're not a lawyer perchance? :D

ArtSmart wrote: »
    LOL.
    so you're sayin the Taoiseach and the govt are two separate entities? wow. for real?

you're not a lawyer perchance? :D

Why are Labour and FG making two different motions? Try really hard....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

However when the incumbent FF leader is also the current Taoiseach and is trying to hold on to office during this country's economic implosion, then I think that it is not unreasonable to assert the view that I have in this regard.
    The argument for Cohen stepping down as Taoiseach can be made on the basis that he does have the confidence of the people (although in fact, it is the confidence of the Dail that he requires). Whether or not FF consider it better not to have him as leader going in to an election has no bearing on the matter.
    If his own party accept his resignation as party leader, I don't see why the citizens of this country should be treated differently.
    Again, I say it down to different groups having the authority to make different decisions. The FF parliamentary party hire and fire their leader. The electorate hire and fire the members of Dail Eireann. And those members of Dail Eireann hire and fire the Taoiseach.
    It would be a bit like (ok, very slightly like :) ) arguing that because John O' Mahoney was deemed not good enough to manage the Mayo football team it might be deduced that he is not worthy to be a TD.

Why are Labour and FG making two different motions?
    One is in the party leading the state and one is in the leader of the state.

• Advertisement

Why are Labour and FG making two different motions? Try really hard....
    uuuuugggghhhh.

plop.

got it

ha ha ha. i'm talking sub-text, not technically true. you know, the spirit of the law, not the letter. anyway, it's all good.

Well I suppose he hasn't officially lost the backing of the party as they haven't voted on the matter.

:confused:

The argument for Cohen stepping down as Taoiseach can be made on the basis that he does have the confidence of the people (although in fact, it is the confidence of the Dail that he requires). Whether or not FF consider it better not to have him as leader going in to an election has no bearing on the matter.

As I replied to you earlier, I don't give a flying fcuk who happens to be leader of FF.
    However when the FF leader (now ex- FF leader) happens to also hold the office of Taoiseach, then my interest is piqued.

I don't think that it is acceptable that the electorate should be expected to accept an incumbent Taoiseach, who is not seen fit to lead his own political party.

Again, I say it down to different groups having the authority to make different decisions. The FF parliamentary party hire and fire their leader. The electorate hire and fire the members of Dail Eireann. And those members of Dail Eireann hire and fire the Taoiseach.

No argument from me in respect of these points.
    Lets see if the Dail accept the notion that a person who cannot engender sufficient support to lead his party, can retain his position as Taoiseach.
    Lets see if party before country passes muster.

Varadkar saying finance bill not import, so is other FF'ers (c.o'connor)but m. mcgrath says it is.

all about the finance bill now.

that's the sinister thing....the overwhelming desire to get this thing through before we have our say!

that's the sinister thing....the overwhelming desire to get this thing through before we have our say!
    yeah, it's nonsense.

seems M. Martin getting a lot of support.

thankfully i've the house on him from a month ago. yipee! (11/4)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Ireland is an absolute laughing stock in the eyes of the world. Ministers resigning and getting hundreds of thousands of €. Not even a week ago FF had confidence in biffo, now he is gone. What does this tell us of this party?

Varadkar saying finance bill not import, so is other FF'ers but m. mcgrath says it is.

Pity they didn't act with the same probity before introducing the bank guarantee scheme in 2008, NAMA bill in 2009.....................

Just more sanctimonious claptrap from FF and the Greens.

yeah, it's nonsense.

seems M. Martin getting a lot of support.

thankfully i've the house on him from a month ago. yipee! (11/4)

The Lenihan's want their party back though! Watch out or maybe put half on Brian.

The Lenihan's want their party back though! Watch out or maybe put half on Brian.
    nah. he was always a close second, but now it's over for him and the fool hanifin

• Advertisement

M Mansergh on rte now

nah. he was always a close second, but now it's over for him and the fool hanifin

lol...watch the GodMammy cuff a few lugs and install Brian!

lol...watch the GodMammy cuff a few lugs and install Brian!
    ARRGGGGHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

nah. dont think so.

M Martin de man

(though the lenny's shall attempt a coup down the road)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It's very funny that all the FF TDs are talking about the next leader, barely even mentioning Cowen. It says it all for Cowen.

M Mansergh on rte now

:D:D:D

O'Cuiv, Mansergh, Pat Carey:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Position of the independents??

Michael Lowry said he was against this set up that we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Position of the independents??

Michael Lowry said he was against this set up that we have now.

And with the motions coming up the focus moves here... how the hell does Cowen think he's going to soldier on?He is treating this nation with contempt and is an utter disgrace. If he survives the confidence motions we should make sure that the idiots who support him are made remember that they put their party first and let us burn...b'strds

Advertisement