Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking fees in estate

Options
  • 22-01-2011 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

I have just found out that the management company where I rent have decided that people need to register their cars or get clamped. obviously this is to make people pay their fees. They also stated that you must prove the car tax or something is registered to the house. My problem firstly is mine isn't as I use my parents address for everything as it is easier as I move around a lot. I am unaware how long I will be even in this apartment as work has to be done to the apartment and it is not known when this will happen (the landlord has already told me this so that's not a problem for me - I will move out when I have to)
    Secondly they said the car will be registered to a spot but the spots aren't numbered so what am I supposed to do if some-one parks there.
    thirdly, and this really annoys me, if we have visitors they have to text the number and this costs 60c. I think this is disgraceful. it last 12 hours but what if I have a friend who calls a few days a week for a coffee/to go for a walk? the note also said they will be keeping an eye to ensure this is not abused. my friend lives in another managed area where they have been given stickers if they live there and a two visitor pass cards that just need to be put in the windowm when your guest arrives.
    I am so annoyed as this is obviously just to make people pay managements fees (which everyone in my block has) but teh 60c visitor thing is just to make money. I could accept it if ti was a standard text rate but this is totally out of order. I am only renting so have no say with the management company. can a complaint me made?

thanks in advance for any advice I get

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Terri26 wrote: »
    can a complaint me made?

You can only complain to your landlord, and take it up with him/her.

It is up to the landlord to take the discussion with the management company.

This situation is not that uncommon now, more and more developments are doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

really? charging 60c for a visitor to park each time they park? I recently read a thread here how the text apparently did not go through and a person got clamped. it is so annoying but on the bright side I was thinking of buying here which is why I am living here for awhile but that is very off putting so another place to cross off my list.
    thanks for replying - my ll out of the country so it is going to be a lot of hassle! thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

really? charging 60c for a visitor to park each time they park? I recently read a thread here how the text apparently did not go through and a person got clamped. it is so annoying but on the bright side I was thinking of buying here which is why I am living here for awhile but that is very off putting so another place to cross off my list.
    thanks for replying - my ll out of the country so it is going to be a lot of hassle! thanks

If u want to buy an apartment u should only buy one with a parking space included in the deeds (ie u own it). I bought my parking space separately and it has it's own title deeds. Sone are included with the property. It massively affect the resale value.

I agree with charging for use of visitor spaces. Too many people who live in my estate permanently use the visitor spaces all the time when the rest of us (or our landlords) have paid for our spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I agree with Steve about the visitors spots. We have the same 60c text system in place (NCPS). Previously residents were treating the visitor spots as an additional parking spot so there were never any free spots for genuine visitors. The text system has now freed up spaces and allows the management agent to monitor usage of the spots. If it's noticed that an individual is parking there every night then they can be requested not to park there as clearly they're not a visitor but a resident.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

really? charging 60c for a visitor to park each time they park? ...
    I think you'll have to accept that the management company, which presumably holds the title to the common areas in the estate, has the legal right and the authority to formulate and implement whatever "house-rules" the company members (the owners of the individual properties) agree to. They then contract out the day-to-day policing either to a managing agent or a car-park management company.

You're in an awkward position in that while the new rules effect you and your visitors directly, but as has been pointed out already, the only recourse you might have is via your absentee landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Get your landlord to reduce your rent in line with what this is expected to cost you.

Advertisement