Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

footballer fakes sister's death

• 22-01-2011 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2011/01/22/shamed-footballer-sacked-after-faking-sister-s-death-for-a-fortnight-off-work-86908-22867072/

A FOOTBALLER yesterday admitted forging his sister’s death certificate to get time off work.

Ex-Airdrie Utd player Scott Gibson, 25, told bosses his sister had died after he vanished for two weeks from his job as a court custody officer.

And he went as far as faking a certificate to back up his twisted tale. But now Gibson – who says his life was in turmoil after his girlfriend dumped him and he was left homeless – has been given the boot by his bosses at security firm Reliance.

He has also had his contract at Division Two side Airdrie torn up following a street brawl with teammate Ryan Wallace over a young hairdresser.

The brawl took place two weeks ago outside the Lanarkshire club’s Excelsior Stadium and on Thursday, both players were told they were sacked.

Dad-of-two Gibson, who was based at Edinburgh High Court with Reliance, is now without a job or a club.

A sickened former court colleague said yesterday: “Scott hadn’t been turning up for work and nobody seemed to be able to get a hold of him.

“When he eventually came back in after two weeks off, he told bosses his sister had died – but everyone else knew it wasn’t true.

“Then word started to get around about him presenting a fake death certificate and everyone was disgusted. We all thought he was sick in the head.”

Gibson last night admitted forging the certificate but said he’s “full of remorse”.

He said: “I had problems through work and anxiety and depression due to my family and relationship breakdown. I took time off work through stress and anxiety and being really upset.

“When I went back after two weeks, the manager asked why I was off and, off the cuff, I said there was a death in the family and left it at that.

“A week later, a manager asked me who had died and the first person that came into my head was my sister.

“The conversation ended there but three or four days later, I was suspended because they said they had information that my sister hadn’t died and they were holding an investigation.

“I went to a meeting and they asked for a death certificate. I had dug myself a hole and couldn’t get out of it and so the death certificate was provided. I immediately realised I’d made a massive mistake and I told my sister.

“I apologised and told her it was because of the stress of me becoming homeless, splitting with my partner and problems in work. She was a bit upset.

“I did make a mistake and I resigned before I could be sacked and I have apologised to everyone involved.

“As far as I know, that’s the end of it. I’m full of remorse over what happened.

“I didn’t phone in because I had other priorities like trying to sort out my relationship and somewhere to stay.

“I was living in my car and trying to get to see my kids.

“I now have a new partner and I’m slowly getting back to normal.”

Airdrie sources said yesterday Gibson claimed he was acting in self-defence in the brawl with Wallace and was understood to be planning to appeal against his sacking by the club.

Wallace was said to be furious after finding out Gibson had sent messages on Facebook to his ex-girlfriend Jennifer Johnston, 20.

It’s understood he accused him of trying to get a date with the hairdresser.

Gibson told club bosses that Wallace, who split from Jennifer before Christmas, got in his car and punched him in the face.

Jennifer claimed Gibson had invited her to attend a night out for his birthday in
    Edinburgh earlier this month.

A Reliance spokesman said the company could not comment on individual cases but added: “This person no longer works for Reliance.”

Gibson said last night: “I’ve got three or four clubs interested and will hopefully sign a new contract soon.

“My sister is talking to me now and we’ve sorted things out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

does his car have pink wheels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Des wrote: »
    does his car have pink wheels?

Nah, he'd never get away with that in Airdrie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Does this actually have anything to do with football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

SantryRed wrote: »
    Does this actually have anything to do with football?

He is a footballer ,who got sacked from a football club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Where does it say he got sacked?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Relationship over, homeless, in court facing charges, sacked from two jobs

I'm a bleeding heart but I feel sorry for the guy :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

SantryRed wrote: »
    Where does it say he got sacked?
    4th line
    He has also had his contract at Division Two side Airdrie torn up following a street brawl with teammate Ryan Wallace over a young hairdresser.

Advertisement