Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tub/Clincher Question!

• 22-01-2011 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Is there any downside running a front tub & a rear clincher????

Have a powertap built into a HED C2 rim, so want to race with that, & have been offered a PX tub at a decent price!

My thinking is no, but will put it out there???

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Have the same dilema here, powertap clincher and looking for a front wheel... yes and no. It depends on race length imo, if you are racing sprints/olys and you punture your race is over.

For HIM and IM you are gonna want to fix it and keep going which means carrying a spare tub(maybe two?) and a spare tube(maybe two?) if you can live with that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mjth2004 wrote: »
    Is there any downside running a front tub & a rear clincher????

Have a powertap built into a HED C2 rim, so want to race with that, & have been offered a PX tub at a decent price!

My thinking is no, but will put it out there???

Cheers in advance!

There is a good price for a PX tub?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mjth2004

This year will be a season of short course! Raced of 404 tubs last season, super wheelset but had to sell on to fiance a powertap! No real problem carrying spare tub & tube, just said i'd ask the above question just incase i was missing something!

Was offered the PX pro carbon 82 tub but on jumping across to slowtwitch, i think i'm back to my original thinking - 2nd hand HED tri-spoke or Jet 6! So if anyone is in the market of offloading one of the wheels, please let me know!

Keep in mind PX are selling the 82 for £150 new at the moment.

Seen that alright when I did a review search in google!

Don't want to open a can of worms regarding PX but how good of a wheel are they in terms of aero advantage? Am I being something of a retard shopper - if it costs that much less when compared to the better known market leaders (zipp or hed) what am i overlooking/missing?

• Advertisement

They will be more aero than a 30mm V rim but less than a Zipp or HED rim. Its basically an 82mm V rim afaik, where as Zipps have the 'toroidal' dimpled rim. Whats it gonna be worth over a 20lm/40km bike leg? Seconds I would guess.

mloc123 - having met you before mate & if you can remember i'm not what you would call an elite! So for the seconds/minutes over a 20km/40km/90km/185km distance i don't think it will make that much of a difference!

Just of the phone to a mate who races on PX wheels - so on his glowing response I think I might swing towards the PX, & bank some cash!

Ah yeah, I had forgot the username. On cheap and effective, have you looked at getting a disc cover for your powertap?

I ordered one last week from wheelbuilder.com, arrived this week..
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70239678&postcount=1438
    Impressed so far, will see what difference it makes in a couple of weeks.

One step ahead of you, got one when i ordered my powertap through wheelbuilders!

From what i've been reading it's the best option €€€€'s wise when you go down the route of same wheel for training & racing!

Advertisement