Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Anti Virus Software

• 22-01-2011 2:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Hi looking for somewhere that sells anti virus for cheaper, between 10 and 15€. anything reputable at all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Can't get much cheaper than free. I have this install on my PC and laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭roashter

I use avg software and its free at www.avg.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Is the microsoft one good?

I wont use a free version of a version you pay for, In my head it doesnt make sense, and I've done enough pc services to realise AVG free is toxic.

AVG u pay for is fantastic but quite expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭DMG_49

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Is the microsoft one good?

I wont use a free version of a version you pay for, In my head it doesnt make sense, and I've done enough pc services to realise AVG free is toxic.

AVG u pay for is fantastic but quite expensive

I have the microsoft one and it been good so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

My issue though would be my Microsoft Office isnt exactly legit, wonder if this is used as a way to find people like me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

MSE has been working well for me recently, it only checks for a legitimate Windows license ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 studentgrant

In my opinion Microsoft security essentials is great, it has high detection rates of virus’s and malware, has smaller foot print then many other programs, no advertisements, is produced by Microsoft and best of all its Free.

Finn
    www.waterfordcomputers.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Eniac

Another vote for Security Essentials. Used to use AVG before that. If your Windows is legit you can install away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I switched from AVG to MSE no problems. AVG got too slow on older machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    My issue though would be my Microsoft Office isnt exactly legit, wonder if this is used as a way to find people like me :D

Don't worry on that count. It works with all versions. Sits in your tray and you can schedule it to do a scan whenever suits you. Works a treat for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

Wouldnt bother paying for antivirus, plenty of good ones out there, like the Microsoft ones and Avast.

..or just buy a mac :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Avast or Avira are good options if you are paranoid about MSE ;).

Certainly those two and MSE seem to do outdo many paid for products in any AV tests benchmarks I have seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

It doesn't have to be the "best" AV either. Its just has to be good enough. Once you don't get a virus, thats all that important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

I'll go with the others and recommend Microsoft Security Essentials above the other free and low price programs out there. It works well and it's virtually invisibly to your user experience. And it's free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭bren2001

I have the full AVG software on my machine for free.

I downloaded the full trial version with a license for 30 days. When that expired I downloaded the free version, when I installed it it just restarted my 30 day license with the trial version. Ive been doing this for a while now.

Advertisement