Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl/Aldi brands v names brands

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

The pack of fresh salmon darnes in lidl is not the best value, think its something like 4 Eur for 2 small thin darnes, dunnes give you 2 big darnes for 5 Eur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Milly33 wrote: »
    looks tasty alright.. Also the fish in Aldi is great Value. Id normally get the Tuna Fillets when they have them yummie. Got the Baramundi last night and its delicious only €2 I think. The salmon filltes frozen and bassa are perfect too. I cant say I am a fan of the breadcrumbed fish but that's just taste

They have Baramundi in Aldi?

I love that fish, thought it was only available in Oz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

They have Baramundi in Aldi?

I love that fish, thought it was only available in Oz.

Yes they have it a few months now, small packs, think about 250gr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Crap I was like please say twas Baramundi but yes it was €3.99 although i thought twas €2.99.. First time trying it and its lovely, tis like bassa with a stronger fish flavour from it yummie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

looks tasty alright.. Also the fish in Aldi is great Value. Id normally get the Tuna Fillets when they have them yummie. Got the Baramundi last night and its delicious only €2 I think. The salmon filltes frozen and bassa are perfect too. I cant say I am a fan of the breadcrumbed fish but that's just taste

Yuuuum barramundi
    Will keep a look out. Can I ask how did you cook it please ?

Dear god I hope I find some !

Lisha wrote: »
    Yuuuum barramundi
    Will keep a look out. Can I ask how did you cook it please ?

Dear god I hope I find some !

Most Aldi's are set out the same so I saw it in the special offers fridge at the end/top of the frozen foods area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I make my curries from scratch and haven't used jarred sauces in years, but I had a really long day yesterday and I picked up a lovely looking jar of Madras in Aldi ("Specially Selected Madras Sauce").

It has a little cap full of spice powder fitted on top of the jar and the directions are pretty straight-forward.

I browned some chicken, added some thinly sliced strips of red and green pepper, added the spice mix and the sauce, simmered it for twenty minutes, then served it with rice and naan bread

The first thing that hit me was the aroma-it was like stepping into an Indian restaurant
    It tasted AMAZING.

We could not stop talking about it and for €1.69 a jar, it was incredible.
    It tasted better than our usual Bombay Pantry takeaway and that's saying something.
    It was spicy and full of flavour and just gorgeous.

I can't believe I've never tried it before and I'll be picking it up again during the week; it's handy to have in the cupboard if you're late home some evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Aldi Belmont Chocolate Wafer Bars are just as tasty os Blue Riband. And just as addictive :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

cosmic wrote: »
    Aldi Belmont Chocolate Wafer Bars are just as tasty os Blue Riband. And just as addictive :pac:

MMMM they are lovely!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lidl have changed the formula of there coleslaw again:mad:, not buying it there anymore.

They used to have a gorgeous egg mayonnaise before and then they changed the recipe - now it's rotten! :mad:

I mentioned this several pages back, but I've noticed that whenever a product is out of stock for a period of time in Aldi, it returns with a different recipe.
    Their cream crackers (which were exactly the same as Jacob's) went missing for about six weeks and when they returned to the shelves, they'd gone all horrible!
    They did the same with their naan breads too..it's bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Aldi have changed their pitta breads as well :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

This one is just for the ladies - I know tis an unmentionable thing but lets say the things with wings or now wings and the smaller version of them. Aldi sorted I used to always go name brand for things like this as you don't want to mess around but I is converted..Just thought id let ye know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Meant to say the idea is very clever…..just goes to show the quality of the products (must say, the chef is a tad more talented than me!) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

This one is just for the ladies - I know tis an unmentionable thing but lets say the things with wings or now wings and the smaller version of them. Aldi sorted I used to always go name brand for things like this as you don't want to mess around but I is converted..Just thought id let ye know :)
    Do you mean Red Bull ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Needed milk but also another thing I buy mostly in Aldi; hadn't time to go to Lidl as well, so had to get Aldi's organic milk with the horrible horrible horrible tetra-pak. Hideous to open, and plasticky so I don't like to burn it. Ick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Alun wrote: »
    Do you mean Red Bull ? :D
    Haha yeah that's the stuff the only thing to keep women going:)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Lidl and aldi are fab for someone like myself who buys a lot of fruit and veg, herbs are top notch. I love the lettuce that comes with soil still attached it stays fresh for so much longer. I get my kale, spinach, sweet potato etc that cost a lot more in Tesco

• Advertisement

Lidl and aldi are fab for someone like myself who buys a lot of fruit and veg, herbs are top notch. I love the lettuce that comes with soil still attached it stays fresh for so much longer. I get my kale, spinach, sweet potato etc that cost a lot more in Tesco

Butternut squash on special at 39c. Very nice hollowed out and stuffed with chopped butternut flesh, minced meat, onions, rice and pine nuts, with a sprinkle of cheese and some chicken stock poured over.

Aldi are doing some meat deals at the moment, Round roast beef half price €4.99 a kilo, 25% off hams, 33% off lamb.

matching the Aldi and Lidl snacks for parties too against Tesco. Lidl and Aldi win, we tried the delux range from Tesco last week and ick tis rotten, stodge, where we have got the mini spring rolls, and lollipop fish, and bits for A&L and they have been yummie

First day of the new Lidl in Terenure; someone texted me to say there was a great offer on big packs of two-litre Coke bottles, and the veggies were all 25% off. So I went down, got a pack of the Coke bottles - 9 in the pack - and a load of vegetables and fruit and some bread and a bottle of wine to break out, and headed for the cash desk, where the cashier said no, the deal was for 3 bottles. She called over the manager, while *everyone* in the shop stared at me as I stood there morto, and I brought the manager down to where the 'offer' was, and saw - in tiny lettering - below the 'SPECIAL OFFER, WHILE STOCKS LAST', it said 3x2L - their normal offer. So I got 3 and slunk out, deeply embarrassed. It seemed pretty deceptive to me, though I don't think it was deliberate.
    Apart from that, it's a nicely laid-out shop, and large, with good parking. I suppose I'll be back, though I'm kind of soured on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

You're soured on it because you didn't read the advertised deal? How is that their fault? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

You're soured on it because you didn't read the advertised deal? How is that their fault? :confused:

Offers are written in teeny tiny writing and can be hard to spot tbf.
    Also a check out assistant bellowing details to a manager is hardly dignified.
    I'd be a bit peeved too

The advertised deal should be obvious, with the 3x2L in the same size lettering as the price and 'while stocks last'. Sorry that you're confused. So was I.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭HomelessMidge

Loving Lidls new deluxe range. The pizzas are amazing, 4 euro for a large pizza and the quality will not be matched by good fellas or any other named brand! Like eating genuine Italian pizza.

Lisha wrote: »
    Offers are written in teeny tiny writing and can be hard to spot tbf.
    Also a check out assistant bellowing details to a manager is hardly dignified.
    I'd be a bit peeved too

Well, the cashier wasn't at fault, nor was the manager (though the shrink-wrapped packs should have been separated into threes); the problem is with whoever designed the unclear 'special offer' poster. I wonder how many others have had the same embarrassing and unpleasant experience on today's opening day.

Mayur's Authentic Naan Bread from Aldi, 79c, for a pack of two are delicious.
    Nice portion and they only take a few minutes in the oven. Real fluffy in the middle.
    Also can vouch for the Specially Selected Balti Sauce; I was raving about the Madras one, and the Balti was delicious too.

• Advertisement

Love this Aldi ad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Brittnear

Hi - I find the mild great in aldi and Lidl - and I have tried fesh meadow organic spaghetti - very good , better than tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Brittnear

does any of you know what is kefir, and where it can be had

Brittnear wrote: »
    does any of you know what is kefir, and where it can be had

Kefir or khefir is a kind of smoked version of bulghur, very nice. They have it in the Hopsack in Rathmines, but it's dear. Brother Hubbard's cafe in Capel Street serves it in a salad with pomegranate seeds and super-finely-cut celery and cucumber.

By the way, no sign of Lidl getting rid of the accursed sweets at their checkouts in Ireland, as they've done in Britain. Why?

Are you sure? I always thought it was a fermented milk drink?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Off-topic i suppose but

Loving the new Aldi store in Greystones, used the one in Bray for a while as it was hady for the drive home but its so worth it to push on to the brand new one now.
    Loads more room for offers compared to the Bray store.

Mega happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Lidl have stopped doing the fresh pesto in a clear plastic tub :(
    They also didn't have the tiramisu dessert I normally get yesterday so perhaps that's gone without notice too. I do hate that about LIDL, you get used to something then boom, it's gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Yeah the Deluxe range has gone for Moore street - must have been a Christmas thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Lidl have stopped doing the fresh pesto in a clear plastic tub :(
    They also didn't have the tiramisu dessert I normally get yesterday so perhaps that's gone without notice too. I do hate that about LIDL, you get used to something then boom, it's gone.

I saw the pesto in the tub in my local life the other night.
    Is the tiramisu from the deluxe range? If it is I think that they only get it in a few times a year because they advertise it in the leaflet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I saw the pesto in the tub in my local life the other night.
    Is the tiramisu from the deluxe range? If it is I think that they only get it in a few times a year because they advertise it in the leaflet.

Really? I asked in my local LIDL and they said they weren't doing the pesto anymore.

No, the tiramisu wasn't the deluxe range (that one was yummy too), there was a two tub pack with either tiramisu or profiteroles. I don't think they were deluxe, I've been getting them all last year.

Alun wrote: »
    Are you sure? I always thought it was a fermented milk drink?

Oh God, you're right of course! It's a kind of thin beady yoghurt thing! Used to have lots of friends who made it. Sorry! I'm thinking of freekah.

Incidentally, in re things Lidl/Aldi no longer do, remember that delicious slightly brined roast pork one of them used to have? Ohh, it was delicious! And Aldi every now and then used to do stuffed chicken thighs that were divine. Alas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

cosmic wrote: »
    I'm hooked on Lidl's cream crackers. They're the nicest I've tasted in a long time. I can't stop eating them! I'm having some at my desk right now

Sadly, I have to retract this :( They've only gone and changed their recipe. They're no longer doughy and mealy and creamy - now they're crunchy and burned. Boo

I agree. They changed their crackers, as did Aldi at one point but now they've returned to the original recipe.

Tesco do delicious crackers, taste exactly the same as Jacob's, for 26c.
    Trust me..I used to only eat Jacob's so I know what I'm talking about!

Are they sneaking up their prices, by the way? For instance, Lidl had 'Tuscan rolls' (very nice mini-breads) at three for 99c, and they're now 39c each, which works out at 18% dearer. Or was that a 'special'?

The 3 for 99c offer on those and other rolls was a special which has now ended.

• Advertisement

Just tried the little expensive jars of Duneen yogurt in Aldi - delicious! Lovely sour yogurt like the yogurt in France!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 xpto

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows what is the quality of the food in Aldi when compared to Dunnes or Tesco?

Example: is the Irish meat available in Aldi the same as the Irish meat available in Dunnes? And fruit and the vegetables are they alike?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

The food is much higher quality in Aldi, particularly the meat. I like the fruit and veg from Lidl the best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Threads merged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Agree totally regarding the meat in Aldi. The Aberdeen Angus sirloin steaks are truly excellent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement