Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hpss help??

Options
  • 22-01-2011 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

okay so iwas going to have hpss as first choice on my cao but after reading a load of comments sayin its useless and there are no jobs out of it i was just wondering is that true? if its wrong what kind of jobs can you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Weeshie

Hi Fitz, have a read over this FB thread on the UL page
    http://www.facebook.com/universityoflimerick#!/topic.php?uid=109413529112026&topic=97

I'm sure if you PM Colette, she'll give you a good insight!

Good luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

Hi!
    I just graduated from HPSS this year. I think they have slightly changed the course since I did it, but I think it's still pretty much the same.

Imo, nearly all arts degrees/and in some cases any degree, there are not a lot of jobs out of it. I remember someone said to me on my first day of the course that once I was finished that I would be qualified in everything and nothing at all. In some ways that is true. You gain a lot of skills, you are better able to write, to research, communicate but you do not have an exact skill.

I enjoyed the course a lot. We only had about 10-12 hours a week in actual course time, so in first year this was a bonus when it came to partying, and in final year when it came to having to do actual work.

The classes are varied. I picked the combination of 2 majors, history and politics. I really enjoyed Russian politics and Irish politics, the more vague classes like international relations and the EU did not appeal to me very much, but that is personal preference.

The best part of HPSS was the work experience and study abroad. I'm not sure given the current economic climate if this is still offered, but I can say that the 4 months I studied in New York were some of the best times in my life and I gained a lot of life experience through this.

For me the course was not useless, but honestly I did give out while I was doing it. Now that I am on the other side, I can see its benefits. My advice is 1) only do the course if you really want to do it. If you are only half-hearted about it, then you won't gain much out of it. 2) If you are looking for a course in which you walk right into a job afterwards, then it is probably best avoided. However in my case I've applied to do an MA in Library and Information Studies in UCD. It was through HPSS that I realized this was where I wanted my life to go.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me! I know someone else on boards who did the course with me so I'm sure he could answer any questions as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

I'm in first year at the moment, i'm doing hpss but all the economic talk is depressing, only hoping that by the time i'm in 4th year we'll have recovered a bit or at least show a sign of progress. I'd like to teach history at leaving cert level but nothing certain yet.

Advertisement