Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Count Distinct Query in MS Access

Options
  • 22-01-2011 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I have the unfortunate task of developing with an Access DB, unfortunately SQL server was not an option.
    COUNT DISTINCT(attribute)
    is not recognized in Access :(

I need to build a query that counts only distinct values and then is grouped by 2 values.

I can create a query that counts the distinct values in my table but it only gives me 1 single number I need this number broken up into

Count Location Year

So far this is what I can work with 2 queries, i have tried to write one query but i keep getting errors

I have made one query that pulls the data, as the schema is quite complex and not the most logical(I didn't design it)

SELECT tblAdmission.PatientID, Year([tblAdmission]![DateAdmitted]) AS YearAdmitted, QryHospitalArea.[Hospital Area Name]
    FROM (QryHospitalArea INNER JOIN tblHospitalAreaID ON QryHospitalArea.HospitalAreaID = tblHospitalAreaID.HospitalAreaID) INNER JOIN tblAdmission ON tblHospitalAreaID.HospitalAreaID = tblAdmission.HospitalAreaID
    GROUP BY tblAdmission.PatientID, Year([tblAdmission]![DateAdmitted]), QryHospitalArea.[Hospital Area Name]
    ORDER BY tblAdmission.PatientID, QryHospitalArea.[Hospital Area Name];

SELECT Count(*) AS PatientCount
    FROM (SELECT DISTINCT qryCountOfPatientsPerYearByHospital.PatientID FROM qryCountOfPatientsPerYearByHospital) AS PatientCount;

So far this is the only link that I can find online to help,
    http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-access/archive/2007/09/19/writing-a-count-distinct-query-in-access.aspx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Hmm no MS Access at home but why not create a table with this data aggregrated for each hopital/year based on the query in the MS knowledge base and then use that table in your query ?

Is this work or college ? If work it and I know you are stuck with MS Access it might explain some things about our health system.

btw one small thing I think you results are better as
    Location, Year, Count (or maybe year, location) but the count would normally be at the end.

Advertisement