Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBNA Credit Cards

Options
  • 22-01-2011 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm thinking of transferring my (quite substantial) credit card Aib balance to a 0% MBNA pigsback card which gives 0% on all tranfers for 10 months and 14.9% APR on purchases thereafter and was wondering if anyone out there know the catch if any to moving to this card. I hope not to add much more to the card I just really want to get my balance paid off without paying any more interest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

No catches no just usual credit card stuff. You need to look at the fees attached. They are quite hefty, for late payments, not making minimum amount payment etc.

Late payment = €15.24
    Direct debit, cheque etc unpaid = €19.05
    Over your credit limit = €12.70

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

If you owe a substantial amount to AIB, then MBNA may not be happy to take on the debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Any other card but MBNA card as there a nitemare to deal with and if your a payment out they ring you at 10pm11pm at nite and all there hidden charges any other card but them is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭marquise

There is a catch - the balance transfer is 0% but any payments made to the account go towards the 0% balance. So, if you make any purchases on the card in those 10 months, they will rack up interest at 14.9% until the balance transfer has been paid off.

If you want to avoid interest, the best thing to do (if you can) is just do the balance transfer and don't make any purchases on it until the balance transfer has been paid off in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

patwicklow wrote: »
    Any other card but MBNA card as there a nitemare to deal with and if your a payment out they ring you at 10pm11pm at nite and all there hidden charges any other card but them is my advice.

+1. MBNA is the Ryanair of the world of financial services, they will screw you at every turn, avoid if at all possible.

You've just been notified of a 'gotcha' by marquise above that you probably weren't aware of, there's probably lots more in the long grass waiting to screw you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

patwicklow wrote: »

I second this post if you think aib are bad then you will have nightmares with mbna I am trying to get a credit union loan to pay them off their interest rates are a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭-Wheeler-

Agreed with all above, avoid MBNA. Was with them for a few years, always paid off my balance in full each month. One time a payment was a few days late hitting the account and the ****ers registered a judgement with the Irish Credit Bureau. I cancelled my card. Avoid, they are a nasty shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

-Wheeler- wrote: »
    Agreed with all above, avoid MBNA. Was with them for a few years, always paid off my balance in full each month. One time a payment was a few days late hitting the account and the ****ers registered a judgement with the Irish Credit Bureau. I cancelled my card. Avoid, they are a nasty shower.

I'm no fan of MBNA (see my post above) but I think you're not telling us the full story here. You mention a 'judgement', do you mean they took you to court and got a judgement against you, for being 'a few days late' with a monthly payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Oasis44

MBNA cards are a total winner I'm a big fan - the trick is to know all their terms and conditions so to avoid their 'hidden charges'. I have two credit cards one for purchases and an MBNA card for balance transfers. 10 month interest free offers are rare these days so I'd grab it while it's going. No offence to the complainers but they obviously didn't read the small print with MBNA and thus got nailed with extra charges - your fault not theirs sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ferga_com

I've had an MBNA card for years. I find them fine to deal with - good customer service on the phone and good online account management.

They will hound you if you are even a few days late with your monthly payment and slap on penalties.

So make sure to get the minimum payment in on time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 suazz

All great advice guys thanks so much the 2 credi card trick seems to be the best way but might stay with AIB ...better the devil you know:)
    Thanks again tho very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Like all credit card issuers they have their plus points and their bad points. They will haunt you for being behind, and I mean haunt, my ex BF had a problem with them, they called his parents looking for him the whole lot.

If you stick to their terms, and pay on time you shouldn't have any problems, but the 0% only applies to the amount transferred to them, their normal stand rates apply to any other purchases you make!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I've never had any issue with MBNA. They're fine as long as you're not running arrears with them, but in general that's not something you would want to do with any credit card issuer!

Their online service is pretty good, their fraud department is great, you can now pay their bills by Laser card on their online portal which is kinda handy although, they might want to start accepting Visa Debit soon as a lot of banks are switching.

It's also quite handy that you can make payments in the post office by just handing them the card. They can swipe it through and you can pay cash (or laser) directly onto the card without any fuss.

It's a bit of a pain to setup MBNA on some online banking bill payment services, but it's not THAT bad e.g. BOI online banking's a pain in the rear end to setup with MBNA but it can be done.

AIB's no problem though.

Advertisement