Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best restaurant in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

always enjoyed the food in the 101 talbot. been a while since I've been there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Very subjective, but...

Without the kids, Chapter One.

With the kids, Enoteca Delle Langhe on a Saturday or Yamamori (South Great Georges St) on a Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Retail Hell

Havent't lived in Ireland for a while but here goes,

Shanahans on the Green, Expensive but very good
    Chapter One,
    Peploes on the Green, (Onion Soup, & Deep Fried Brie Terrific Starters)
    Roly's in Balls Bridge, (Sunday Lunches great way to spend an afternoon)
    Fallon & Byrne,
    Town bar & Grill,

I've heard the restuarant in the residence is very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Lumen wrote: »
    Very subjective, but...

Without the kids, Chapter One.

With the kids, Enoteca Delle Langhe on a Saturday or Yamamori (South Great Georges St) on a Sunday.

Subjective? Fooking ingenious.

I love Chapter one, only done the pre-theater a few times, but it was stunning. I am also a big fan of the Pigs Ear, the Winding stair, Enoteca, Town Bar and Grill, Cliff Town House, Fallon and Byrnes, Darwins, Chez Macs, Market Bar. This is all personal, but I find Shanahans a decent steak house with obscene prices that relies on big portions to satisfy customers who think it's normal to leave a restaurant feeling like a container ship. I think Elephant and castle is brutal except for the wings, they serve cold food that should be hot, good beers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Chapter One
    (was there last week, and def would say that both me and my boyfriend were STUFFED with the amount of food we were given)

Coppinger Row

Medina Desai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

poisonated wrote: »
    Hard rock cafe: great music, great atmosphere, great food.

Please tell me you are joking.

I worked there for 2 years and the food is horrific. A lot of it is microwaved.

+1 for Chapter 1.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

jdivision wrote: »
    Chapter One is the best I think.
    Twee. wrote: »
    You wouldn't wanna be hungry though! Great experience, service and surroundings.
    nosietoes wrote: »
    was there last week, and def would say that both me and my boyfriend were STUFFED with the amount of food we were given

I only ever hear good things about Chapter 1 but is there an issue about portion sizes?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

sham69 wrote: »
    le bon crubeen on talbot street is amazing and cheap.

It's been a few months since I've eaten there, or anywhere in Dublin for that matter, but this place served up the best value food in Dublin, food that was ass good, if not better than places charging twice the price only a postcode away.

Dax or Pearl Brasserie have both been brilliant every time I've been there.

Baan Thai in Ballsbridge does fantastic Thai food.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Jumbo156 wrote: »
    3. Rolys Bistro
    Roly's in Balls Bridge, (Sunday Lunches great way to spend an afternoon)

Only ever been there for Sunday Lunch, but it is amazing, Spring Roll for starter, then usually the beef for main (never tasted a nicer yorkshire pudding) and the desert varies but the Toblerone desert is by far the nicest I've ever had in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Hermy wrote: »
    I only ever hear good things about Chapter 1 but is there an issue about portion sizes?

I don't think there is. I guess the portions would be slightly smaller than other places but because the food is so rich you end up really full anyway so it's not an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

I agree with recommendations for the Port House (my number one for a date), and Le Bon Crubeen. Odessa or The Green Hen for brunch with a group of friends.

For a cheap but delicious lunch, my secret place is La Vita on Dorset St.

Locks is really nice-decor, service, presentation and views. I was stuffed despite the very 'haute-cuisine' style portions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭francois

Thorntons has superlative food, even if the venue is somewhat cold

Lunch in Guilbaud's is a treat

Pearl Brasserie is great as well

For more value meals

Fallon & Byrne's Luch offering is generally very good value, as is Gueuleton

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

Thai
    Thai Spice (Talbot st) - they do a fab deal all week 2 courses with bottle of wine for 2 people €39

Koh - Really love here, fab setting, they do cocktails, and they have a have a great early bird - €20 for 3 courses.

Siam Thai
    Food is just delicious although not the cheapest.

Thai Orchid (Westmoreland St)

Indian
    Diwali (George's St)

Ananda (Dundrum)

Italian
    Toscana (Dame St) - I am a little bit obsessed with this place :o Love it!

Il Vicoletto - Really authentic, and a lovely intimate, cosy atmosphere. My only complaint is that they don't do pizza!

Dunne And Crescenzi (South Frederick Street)

La Caverna

The Italian Connection (Talbot St)

Milano - You can never go wrong :)

Independent Pizza Co (Drumcondra) - Pizza lovers, beware...you won't want any other pizza after this :)

Splashing out
    Sabor Brazil - It's super expensive, but if you want to splash the cash on a really special occassion, it wins hands down!

Dax - Amazing dining experience

Pearl Brasserie

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Best :
    L'Ecrivain

2nd best:
    Chapter One

Third best:
    One Pico

Best of the rest: (in no particular order)
    Town Bar and Grill, Dax, Bang, Patrick Guilbauds, Pichet, Locks Brasserie, Chez Max, Peploes.

For something different i love Koh(Thai) and Acapulco(Mexican).
    For steaks Shanahans and i also like Beunos Aires.
    Kavanagh's (Gravediggers do superb tapas, as does the Port House.

3 places i thought were very sub-standard were La Mere Zous, Pigs Ear and Cliff Town house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Slattsy wrote: »
    Best :
    L'Ecrivain

2nd best:
    Chapter One

Third best:
    One Pico

Best of the rest: (in no particular order)
    Town Bar and Grill, Dax, Bang, Patrick Guilbauds, Pichet, Locks Brasserie, Chez Max, Peploes.

For something different i love Koh(Thai) and Acapulco(Mexican).
    For steaks Shanahans and i also like Beunos Aires.
    Kavanagh's (Gravediggers do superb tapas, as does the Port House.

3 places i thought were very sub-standard were La Mere Zous, Pigs Ear and Cliff Town house.

That's your top 3 ? Really ?

How you eaten in them in the past few years?

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Mr.S wrote: »
    Thought L'Ecrivain and Chapter One to be very meh.

Agreed, way behind the times, still serving the same food as they were ten years ago.

Hammertime wrote: »
    Agreed, way behind the times, still serving the same food as they were ten years ago.

I have never seen the same dish twice in Chapter One.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I thought L'Ecrivain was amazing. Was disappointed with Darwins, wouldn't go back.
    Kinara Kitchen is my favourite Indian.
    Siam Thai in Dundrum does some great stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

Pacinos - used to love this Italian place but last time I went they handed us a new menu and I wasn't impressed :(
    Little Cesars - nice Italian
    Acapulco - amazing Mexican food
    Elephant & Castle do the best wings EVER!

Ps can anyone recommend a nice Indian in Dublin city centre please and thanks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If you want a restaurant recommendation - please post in this thread.

Thanks,

tHB

San Lorenzo's on Georges st. is very very very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

No one mentioned the greenhouse yet? Admittedly I haven't been there yet, but my friends who have the money to go to expensive restaurants say it's the best food in Ireland, not just Dublin.

No one mentioned the greenhouse yet? Admittedly I haven't been there yet, but my friends who have the money to go to expensive restaurants say it's the best food in Ireland, not just Dublin.

Yeah been hearing good things but the menu sometimes can be hit and miss.
    From this Saturday going forward l the menu is going to be a surprise upon arrival. Some people won't like that. But it will still do really well. Great reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

In recent times, impressed - kinda - with Pichet. Not trying too hard and arguably fancy french bistro but ticked a few boxes and the overall package was good (and I'm fussy!). It had that relaxed Irish wanna be French thing down to a tee....and not madly expensive compared to others

Chapter 1 - only there once but very, very good. That said they could be less arrogant when trying to book a table. They staff in person were very good indeed on the evening we were there so maybe we just got the wrong person on the phone

Shanahans - tip, they open for lunch on Fridays and do a - while still pricy deal - reduced 3 course selection which wont break the Bank if you want to have the experience. Not bad in my view they do steak and chips well at a high cost!

One Pico - very impressive but pricey. Excellent staff and easy going....

L'Ecrivan - good 3 or 4 years since I was there but good and nice down to earth staff (from the top down). Not cheap but you wouldn't feel out of place....

Which brings us to Guilbauds....lunch is good(ish) value and the food is good but (and maybe its me!) had the feeling I was being 'tolerated'. Wouldn't put anyone off it but just be aware

The Unicorn - could crawl with the lizards or soar with eagles depending on what day you got it.

Dylan Hotel - little left field and not cheap but worth checking out. Mix of flavors fantastic and hope the chef is still there

Winding Stair - albeit some years back but excellent at reasonable prices

Left field spots some further out but worth mentions -
    Nicos (Dame St) - 50s Dublin but in the best of ways!
    Yamamori Noodles (Georges St) - if you havn't try it!
    Anara (Dundrum) - Very good Indian but not as you would expect, bit pricey but worth a visit
    Kinara - same as above but Northsoide!
    Pinocchio (Ranelagh) - very good no nonsense Italian food with out fuss and not mad prices (and the HB the do Grappa in the right glass!!)
    Radisson Stillorgan - seriously good Italian but as it is the Rad its that bit extra
    Vaughans (Terenure) - Gastro pub prices for good food (steak on a slate, etc). Well worth a bus ride (or cab)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

John_Rambo wrote: »
    San Lorenzo's on Georges st. is very very very good.

I was there only last night, absolutely delicious! Italian food but not as you'd expect it. Well worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

DeltaWhite wrote: »
    Ps can anyone recommend a nice Indian in Dublin city centre please and thanks :D

Diwali all the way! (George's st)

Best restaurants I've been in:

Dax
    Sabor Brazil (gone too expensive now though)
    Pearl Brasserie
    Koh
    Toscana (Dame St)
    Siam Thai (both Malahide and Andrew's st)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I ate in Locks on Saturday night - food was superb. Pricey, but worth it as a treat. Place was mobbed too.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Sabor Brazil is great, if you get the half price voucher (here: http://dublin.ratemyarea.com/deals/875 ) it's definitely worth checking out. A very intimate 7 course meal with particularly attentive service.

I had a burrito for dinner in Acapulco once and didn't particularly fancy going back. It was tasty but €15 for a burrito? Imagine being charged 15 quid for a sandwich. I've yet to see any indication that Mexican is suitable as a sit-down dinner, frankly, and I was still starving afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Seven Social very very good and not pretensush.

Advertisement