Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best restaurant in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Going To Dax tomorrow night, hopefully its as fabulous as usual.

Will report back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

i go on occasion to Camden Kitchen if i'm looking for a really great meal and atmosphere
    (it's just off Camden street)

For a more casual meal can't beat Romano's on Capel Street. love that place.

i go on occasion to Camden Kitchen if i'm looking for a really great meal and atmosphere
    (it's just off Camden street)

For a more casual meal can't beat Romano's on Capel Street. love that place.

Do they still make their own pasta there? Lovely indeed.
    Actually had one of my first proper dates there, oh the memories :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Slattsy wrote: »
    Do they still make their own pasta there? Lovely indeed.
    Actually had one of my first proper dates there, oh the memories :D

They do indeed (assuming you're talking about Romanos) i haven't had better pasta anywhere else in Dublin.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Going To Dax tomorrow night, hopefully its as fabulous as usual.

Will report back :)

Quality folks. 10 out of 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Buenos Aires grill on golden lane for the best fillet steak in Ireland. And I've had a lot!
    Well worth the extra €5 to make it a 10oz :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Fire at the mansion house do a great steak and have a reasonable 30 euro (iirc) per person 3 course meal menu.

Hugos off Stephens Green is another personal favourite.

Lastly (and I've never been), it is a life ambition of mine to go to Shanahans on Stephens Green for a steak. My bro has been and said it is hands down best steak on planet, but I might need to take out a small mortgage before booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Fire at the mansion house do a great steak and have a reasonable 30 euro (iirc) per person 3 course meal menu.

Hugos off Stephens Green is another personal favourite.

Lastly (and I've never been), it is a life ambition of mine to go to Shanahans on Stephens Green for a steak. My bro has been and said it is hands down best steak on planet, but I might need to take out a small mortgage before booking.

Shanahans is overrated. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Best steak in Dublin IMO is FXB Baggot St and very reasonable too.

The place we go back to again and again is Pintxo's Temple Bar. Unbelievable tapas and love how they keep varying the menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Been to the Sussex a few times over the last couple of months and really enjoyed it. Very good food and wine at reasonable prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

2 places I've eaten in in recent weeks and the difference was unbelieveable (considering one has a Michelin star!):

the Dylan Restaurant (at the Dylan hotel): Excellent food. Had only eaten there previously for brunch a few times, so wanted to try the restaurant. Did not disappoint. The food is seriously top notch. Very impressed. Great flavours and the presentation of the dishes is beautiful.

I know this thread is about "best restaurants", I have to mention Locks Brasserie: Very disappointing. Small portions. The food tasted nice enough (apart from one dish, which was pretty bad), but just very ordinary and the presentation left a lot to be desired. Perhaps our expectations were heightended due to them recently receiving a Michelin star, but the food should be excellent because they received a Michelin star! As mentioned above, we had an issue with one of our dishes which was handled very poorly by the waiting staff. I'm not sure I just went there on a bad day :(

I think my favourite restaurant in Dublin for a special occasion would be Chapter One, the food is delicious, but the service is impeccable. You truly are made feel so welcome. The maitre'd there is fantastic. I had to call in one day to buy a gift voucher and the Maitre'd offered me a coffee and was all chat, and the state of me after a day traipsing around the shops compared to the people coming in all dressed up for their meal!

Another restaurant doing great things is The Greenhouse. How they never got a Michelin star, and Locks did, I'll never know! Hopefully next year will be their year. The only problem I have with The Greenhouse is the actual dining room. It's a bit small and feels a bit cramped, so doesn't feel as.... special... as other restaurants imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

No one mentioned the greenhouse yet? Admittedly I haven't been there yet, but my friends who have the money to go to expensive restaurants say it's the best food in Ireland, not just Dublin.

By the far the most exciting place to eat. Its going to get a star November so amke a booking before then. I've been too Lunch and it was outstanding. My friend is the commis chef in there and its balls to the walls. PERFECTION! Go sonn. rumour has it the chef is gonna leave afetr het gets his star

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

So me and my sister ended up in "the cedar tree". Booked after online reviews and some personal recommendations.

Table was booked for 6.30 on a Thurs. The resto wasn't overly busy. Not empty and not rammed full. We got a very nice table in the back which seemed quite enough.

We both got the early bird which is great value at €18 for 3 courses. My sister got the Arrayess (Lamb, Parsley & Onion In Pitta) Charcoaled. We swapped dishes and id say it was a tad dry with not enough filling. I got the Falfel With Tahini Sauce & Salad. This should be their bread and butter and it was. Lovely crunchy crispy falfel balls with a great salad. The sauce was creamy and minty, exactly whta you need for that dish.

For mains i got the Maghmour (Aubergine & Chickpeas Casserole), Served With Rice. It was simple and tasty. It was a good feed. Nothing to knock your socks off. My sister got the Kibbe Saynieh (Oven Baked Lamb), Served With Salad & Cucumber Yoghurt. By far the worst dish of the night. 4 minced lamb cubes served with some dip and salad. Overcooked, dry, bland and not what i expected.

Dessert was vanilla ice cream or baklava. We were both so full we both goth the ice cream.Nice home made vanilla ice-cream. Couldn't fault it

Wine List is OK. The Sisiter wasn't drinking so drank 2 glasses of the house red. No complaints on the measure and it was drinkable. Bottles wise it looked pricey to me but im not a big wine buff.

Star of the show was the mint tea. I have memories of drinking turkish tea in Koln and this is as good as you are going to get in Ireland. Minty, Herby, Hyper-strong, served in shot glasses. I love it

Overall great value for money. €50 for two early birds, Two glass house wines and two teas. Service was impeccable. Yeah its got its faults but the pros outweigh the cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hi, I will be in Dublin in December with my mum for a concert and would like to go to a nice restaurant for dinner beforehand. Can anyone recommend a good restaurant near the 02? My mum loves her steak so somewhere where they serve the usual stuff like steak, fish, pasta but a place that does it really well and at a reasonable price! I'm not asking for much :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

leahyl wrote: »
    Hi, I will be in Dublin in December with my mum for a concert and would like to go to a nice restaurant for dinner beforehand. Can anyone recommend a good restaurant near the 02? My mum loves her steak so somewhere where they serve the usual stuff like steak, fish, pasta but a place that does it really well and at a reasonable price! I'm not asking for much :pac:

Le Bon Crubeen might fit the bill, you're only a couple of minutes walk to the Luas at Busaras that will bring you down to the O2.

http://www.leboncrubeen.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

I'd second that. Menu can be a little bit quirky but I found the food very tasty last time I was there.

Thanks guys - what about bridge bar and grill? Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Thanks guys - what about bridge bar and grill? Any good?
    The Bridge bar & Grill is good, on a scale of 1 - 5, I'd score it 3 :)

What about Matt the Thresher?
    http://www.mattthethresher.ie/

MIN2511 wrote: »
    The Bridge bar & Grill is good, on a scale of 1 - 5, I'd score it 3 :)

What about Matt the Thresher?
    http://www.mattthethresher.ie/

That sounds nice too :-) is Pembroke street far from the O2?

Talbot 101

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ammiem

Hi everyone.
    Can anyone suggest the finest, most decadent restaurant in dublin city. Price isnt an issue, its for a gift. Were looking for something different that would be a great experience for 2 foodies who have eaten in so many classy spots! Any suggestions anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Patrick Guildbaud or Chapter One though the Green House is getting lots of good press

http://www.chapteronerestaurant.com/

http://restaurantpatrickguilbaud.ie/

http://www.thegreenhouserestaurant.ie/home.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

That sounds nice too :-) is Pembroke street far from the O2?
    Oh that's a trek alright...

Ely in the IFSC or The Brew Dock (craft beer pub) but really good food. The Gibson hotel is also good for food if you're looking for somewhere close to the O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

ammiem wrote: »
    Hi everyone.
    Can anyone suggest the finest, most decadent restaurant in dublin city. Price isnt an issue, its for a gift. Were looking for something different that would be a great experience for 2 foodies who have eaten in so many classy spots! Any suggestions anyone??

Threads merged.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Although I haven't eaten there if I were the one receiving the gift I would like to do the tasting menu with matching wines at the Greenhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Patrick Guildbaud or Chapter One though the Green House is getting lots of good press

http://www.chapteronerestaurant.com/

http://restaurantpatrickguilbaud.ie/

http://www.thegreenhouserestaurant.ie/home.php

No l'Ecrivain? It's been a while sine I went but susprised if standards have dropped all that much? My only complaint was I felt the wine was over-priced and the sommelier was too intrusive for a "gimme the plonk and **** off' person like me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Shanahans end off

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Hootanany wrote: »
    Shanahans end off

Ah, I don't know, faux American decor and fairly standard fare. I think people may be fooled by the high prices. Plenty of other good steakhouses offering better cuts, better beef at better prices. San Lorenzo's are very creative lately, great food. Chapter one will beat Shanahans every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Chapter One is a pretentious place, I went once and would never darken it door again It say a lot when you are having your aperitifs and are lead to your table that you want to go back to the bar says something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

www.menupages.ie

take your pic...you could eat out in Dublin every night in a different restaurant for about 4 years....everybodys opinions are valid of course. but realistically, there wouldn't be a person in the city that has eaten in even 20% of the places on offer.

I think this site Is great for looking for the types of places YOU like, and then go from there.

Enjoy ,wherever you go! :D

Advertisement