Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best restaurant in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

Actually if you search menupages on here you'll find their reviews are considered less than reliable...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Hootanany wrote: »
    Chapter One is a pretentious place, I went once and would never darken it door again It say a lot when you are having your aperitifs and are lead to your table that you want to go back to the bar says something.

What was wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

No l'Ecrivain? It's been a while sine I went but susprised if standards have dropped all that much? My only complaint was I felt the wine was over-priced and the sommelier was too intrusive for a "gimme the plonk and **** off' person like me ;)

I really like l'Ecrivain but if the question was for top top places I would think that Patrick Guilbaud and Chapter One would be better and the Greenhouse sounds like it could be amazing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

nosietoes wrote: »
    Although I haven't eaten there if I were the one receiving the gift I would like to do the tasting menu with matching wines at the Greenhouse.

Now is a good time to book - only had to wait a couple of weeks for a sitting on a Friday! (They're closed till July 30th however).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Sabor Brazil gets my vote.. I just wish I'd bought more of those 50% vouchers, the deal seems to no longer be available (which makes perfect sense I suppose)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭8mv

We were recenctly in Roly's Ballsbridge for a family celebration and I couldn't fault it. Exceptional food and service - and surprisingly good value for a "name" restuarant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Cleaver East in the Clarence, been there twice in last week, Jesus it's phenomenal

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

nosietoes wrote: »
    Although I haven't eaten there if I were the one receiving the gift I would like to do the tasting menu with matching wines at the Greenhouse.

Ate at the Greenhouse for the second time last week. It was really excellent. Hard restaurant to beat for best in Dublin.

In terms of more everyday restaurants, I'd have to give serious mentions to Hot Stove Restaurant and San Lorenzo's. Two great chefs in those places.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Hammertime wrote: »
    Cleaver East in the Clarence, been there twice in last week, Jesus it's phenomenal

Oliver Dunne's new place? Is it even open two weeks? A friend of mine went on night 3, said it was only alright. They had to read their menus by the light of their phones and the service was very iffy. Food not phenomenal either apparently.

That said, I will definitely check it out when it settles in a bit, as he's a great chef.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Oliver Dunne's new place? Is it even open two weeks? A friend of mine went on night 3, said it was only alright. They had to read their menus by the light of their phones and the service was very iffy. Food not phenomenal either apparently.

That said, I will definitely check it out when it settles in a bit, as he's a great chef.

I thought it was a doghouse, give it a couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

Hammertime wrote: »

Went there last week with friends..very underwhelmed. We went early..630pm. Lots of staff around, but terrible service. Imo..its pretentious..small expensive portions, unfriendly and distant waiter, wine left on table unopened and no cooler..had run out of 1 of the 4 cheeses. Dark and dingy atmosphere. Def not fine dining. I think they spent too much time & energy on publicity rather than concentrating on their core product.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

John_Rambo wrote: »
    What was wrong?

Everything G& T's were Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Was in Chapter One last Friday.

First time i've been there in the guts of a year maybe. Top notch as per usual.
    Well and truly one the best in the country, everything is just perfect. Their wine list must be one of the most comprehensive in Dublin.

I always leave feeling delighted with life :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Its still too expensive for me to try at the minute unfortunately :( , but I thought I would leave this here for the people that were mentioning Sabor Brazil and had missed the previous deals.

https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/818966-seven-course-brazilian-tasting-menu-for-two

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Went there last week with friends..very underwhelmed. We went early..630pm. Lots of staff around, but terrible service. Imo..its pretentious..small expensive portions, unfriendly and distant waiter, wine left on table unopened and no cooler..had run out of 1 of the 4 cheeses. Dark and dingy atmosphere. Def not fine dining. I think they spent too much time & energy on publicity rather than concentrating on their core product.

anyone know if its improved?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭Mr Williams

Bar Italia on Ormond Quay gets my vote for the best restaurant in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭emz8

Jo' Burger has the best burgers.

Market Bar for tapa's.

Cake Cafe for brunch.

Yummmmmy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

What would we reccomend steakhouse wise? Looking for somewhere nice for the birthday :) Shannahans is probably out of my price range, any others I've seen in this thread are Buenos Aires and FXB's. I've had a nice steak in Fallon & Byrne in the past, and aren't too pushed on those steak on a stone type places. Is that place bear any use? Any other ideas, preferably in the city or north side.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

What would we reccomend steakhouse wise? Looking for somewhere nice for the birthday :) Shannahans is probably out of my price range, any others I've seen in this thread are Buenos Aires and FXB's. I've had a nice steak in Fallon & Byrne in the past, and aren't too pushed on those steak on a stone type places. Is that place bear any use? Any other ideas, preferably in the city or north side.

Cheers!

I find FXB's hit & miss with food & service... Tried Darwins on Aungier St. recently and was very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I find FXB's hit & miss with food & service... Tried Darwins on Aungier St. recently and was very impressed.
    Isn't Darwin's closed????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

Fire on Dawson street for steak. Something else, you won't regret it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Fire on Dawson street for steak. Something else, you won't regret it

I've been there before, amazing! Incredible service and an all round enjoyable experience

• Registered Users Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Isn't Darwin's closed????
    I dont think so....was in it last week and it was hopping as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Was in Chapter One last night for the pre-theatre. Was one of the best meals I've ever had. Was stuffed afterwards. Good value for the quality. The staff were really nice too and the atmosphere was not in anyway stuffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I've been there before, amazing! Incredible service and an all round enjoyable experience

I was there recently and wouldn't go back unless someone else was paying.
    The service was dreadful, 5 different waiters, none of whom actually managed half way decent service. The food was nice but for the prices they're charging for their so called signature dishes its a rip off.
    The food should be fabulous and make you savour every morsel - instead it was fine and nice but not what you should be getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Just back from L'Ecrivain.

Not been in months and months but still our favourite restaurant in Dublin. Always delivers the best in everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Is the Unicorn still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Hootanany wrote: »
    Is the Unicorn still open?

Yes. Was there a few weeks ago. Food was excellent. Great
    service also.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Any good restaurants by Grafton street? Must cater for vegetarians and coeliacs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

LoganRice wrote: »
    Any good restaurants by Grafton street? Must cater for vegetarians and coeliacs.

A good list here...

Though I would recommend Govindas and Cornucopia

http://www.menupages.ie/cuisines/vegetarian/Dublin

Advertisement