Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Crap

Options
  • 22-01-2011 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

The amount of dog crap on the footpaths of Clonmel is a disgrace.Walking in the dark is like playing roulette.Last three days,I have spent time scraping someone's dog ****e off me shoes.Dog owners that walk their dogs and let the crap all over,shouldnt have one if their not prepared to do what needs to be done.What is the point of putting up a sign in a rempte area,saying that owners will be fined.I saw on such sign last night,and yes you guessed it,There was a big fresh ****e right underneath.I know there are bigger issues out there,but if I want to clean crap off me shoe,I will get my own dog.Dog owners dont give a ****e,but their dogs do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Not just in Clonmel.

I was in Loughtagalla park in Thurles before Christmas with my young son. We were playing on the roundabout when a woman with her two dogs (on leads) walked by. One dog (jack russell type) came close to us and shát on the grass beside where we were playing. The woman watched him do his business, then walked on. I was so amazed I couldn't open my mouth. I got up and put my son in the car, got a couple of poobags out of the boot (I'm a dog-owner myself) and walked over to the woman and asked her to kindly pick her dog's shít up as it was dangerous to allow him to crap so close to where little kids were playing. She just said 'Oh right' and walked on, didn't bat an eyelid.

Some people don't care - think the world is theirs and they and their dogs can do what they like. But don't tar all dog-owners with the same brush - I would never allow my dogs to do this. You can get bags for free from the Town Council Offices, but folks won't comply until there are prosecutions. Get names, make complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Most towns have this problem, thing is there seems to be noone to man it. Esp. in playgrounds and parks. There's also not enough poo bins or bins for that matter.
    Other problem is people allowing their dogs to wander freely around the town so it's not only some dog owners walking their dogs there's tons of dogs that are owners but are allowed to wander 24/7 Thurles is brutal for it.
    These dogs can end up at the other end of town crap there and toddle on back home and their owners haven't a clue where the dog is.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

Thurles is horrific for dog ****e on footpaths. There is one stretch in particular where it is constantly covering in ****e - Croke Street Lower / Derheen Street - just up from the roundabout at Dunnes Stores. Its unbelievably. You need to watch your every step on this footpath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 beanie2010

hblock21 wrote: »
    Thurles is horrific for dog ****e on footpaths. There is one stretch in particular where it is constantly covering in ****e - Croke Street Lower / Derheen Street - just on from the roundabout at Dunnes Stores. Its unbelievably. You need to watch for every step on this footpath.

I have walked my dog along there a few times & I couldn't agree with you more. It's absolutely disgusting. It's like trying to pick your way through a minefield to avoid the crap that's left there.

But the really funny thing is the look people give me when my dog poops on the street & I pick it up with a doggy poop bag. If I had to walk away & leave it there I would probably get attacked, & rightly so, but when I'm picking it up I usually get a look of horror from anyone who has witnessed it. They look more horrified when they realise I have to carry the bag with me until we get to a bin :D

Is there a way of reporting someone for this if you see it happening? Or who do you report it to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Ok..Now I am not sure whats worse....Dogs making crap on the footpath,or the politicians talking it on doorsteps????????????????????????????:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Resend

beanie2010 wrote: »
    I have walked my dog along there a few times & I couldn't agree with you more. It's absolutely disgusting. It's like trying to pick your way through a minefield to avoid the crap that's left there.

But the really funny thing is the look people give me when my dog poops on the street & I pick it up with a doggy poop bag. If I had to walk away & leave it there I would probably get attacked, & rightly so, but when I'm picking it up I usually get a look of horror from anyone who has witnessed it. They look more horrified when they realise I have to carry the bag with me until we get to a bin :D

Is there a way of reporting someone for this if you see it happening? Or who do you report it to?

you report it to the litter warden of your local authority
    Dog Fouling

Section 22 of the Litter Pollution Act 1997 makes it an offence for the person in charge of a dog not to clean up when their dog fouls in a public place. Please act responsibly - clean up after your dog and dispose of the dirt in a suitable sanitary manner; use a paper bag. Dog dirt is a health hazard and some day your child might be affected by someone else’s failure to ‘do the right thing’. Train your dog to “go at home” in the garden. Failure to clean up your dog’s waste can lead to a 150 euro “on-the-spot” fine or on summary conviction to a fine of up to 3,000 euro.

Advertisement