Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mervue House Prices

Options
  • 22-01-2011 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I am thinking of buying a house in Mervue and have been pre-approved for a 92% mortgage with AIB. The asking price is 190k....Am I mad to be even thinking of it currentley or will I regret it in 2 years time if i dont?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

I wouldn't feel under any pressure to buy at the moment, in my opinion prices are going nowhere but down. As always your own circumstances will affect any answers though, as well as the place you are buying. Are you in a secure enough job, and are you happy to spend at least the next ten years in this place, possibly longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

You'd have been mad to buy it at peak, for about €330,000-€340,000. So, not mad to buy now. I suppose it depends on how fed up you are of living where you currently do; on the quality of the house/estate/neighbourhood and whether the house you have in mind is unique; on your finances and job security, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Only the great Frankeeeeen Fahey would tell you now is the best time to buy, as he did this time two years ago ... and prices have tumbled since.

To be honest, it looks as though house prices are going to fall for another one to two years so, on economic terms alone, it doesn't make sense. If you are renting, why not rent a nice place until the market starts to turn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Rent is dead money, they are not making any more land, banks are tightening finance criteria, if you don't get on the ladder now you never will..
    Which one did I miss?

This should be in the accomodation forum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

If you're planning to stay there for the medium to long term and you're happy with the neighbourhood, then I don't think you're mad at all. €190 grand doesn't seem overly expensive, although I'd still put in a low bid to start. Just one question...houses in Mervue are fairly old. Whats the condition of it? Need much work on it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you would get somewhere in Renmore for €190k and Renmore is not Mervue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

snubbleste wrote: »
    Rent is dead money, they are not making any more land.....

In a falling market, Rent is NOT dead money. House prices have a ways to fall yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

In a falling market, Rent is NOT dead money. House prices have a ways to fall yet...

I think that one went over your head.

Advertisement