Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBOX LIVE ETHERNET CABLE Q.

• 22-01-2011 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

I Have my Cable out the Upstairs window in the Downstairs one to play On My 40 inch.There was a few cracks in it and there all taped up.
    Should it start raining will it damage the cable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

if the holes/cracks are taped up good then you should be ok.

but normal Ethernet cables were not designed to be outdoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'd be more worried about frost , standard network cabling is not really suited to the elements, I've never come across an insulated one or had the need to so not sure what that would cost etc. At the very least you could get some conduit (it's like a plastic pipe you run the cable through and tack to the wall) for cheap to protect it from the rain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's the plastic that you probably need to be worried about as it won't be liking temperature changes and sunlight so will most likely start to degrade and fall apart. Signal wise along the actual metal parts of the cable shouldn't be an issue being outside though...well until the plastic disintergrates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Get an old garden hose and thread the cable through that, it'll protect the cable for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    Get an old garden hose and thread the cable through that, it'll protect the cable for years.

Would you like a garden hose hanging out your window of your house?

:D

OP - Buy a cheap wireless router? Or if you know anyone with an old Eircom Netopia one you should be good to go if you change the settings?

Another suggestion would be to have a laptop beside the Xbox and play through a bridged connection, a quick search of the forum should help you there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Fieldog wrote: »
    Would you like a garden hose hanging out your window of your house?

:D

Well, I would (and have) run ethernet cable internally in the house so wouldn't have it hanging out the window anyway, but using a length of garden hose, which is most likely around most gardens anyway, to contain the cable is a cheap alternative to exterior grade cat5/6 or insulated conduit. It doesn't have to look unsightly by dangling it down the wall, it can be tacked neatly to the wall and disguised behind drainpipes.
    OP - Buy a cheap wireless router? Or if you know anyone with an old Eircom Netopia one you should be good to go if you change the settings?

Another suggestion would be to have a laptop beside the Xbox and play through a bridged connection, a quick search of the forum should help you there!

Wireless is an alternative, of course but you can't beat a cabled connection for performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Might need to be careful too of course that rain doesnt drip along the cable into your console \ router.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Just get a set of these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-XAVB101-100UKS-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B00193PPOS/ref=dp_cp_ob_computers_title_0

Much neater and no need to go hanging wires out of windows.

Advertisement