Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jordan Henderson Changes His Agent

• 22-01-2011 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

People might not think this means much but I think it proves that there are some good, sensible kids left playing the game that aren't all motivated by money.

His current agent has been pestering him about looking for a move to one of the top 4 and he was sick of it, so left his agent and his Dad is now his new agent.

A very sensible move IMO, and as I said it proves that not every player is motivated by money.

Apologies if this is not worthy of it's own thread, but I thought people might be interested to see that there's still some sensible footballers out there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Paul Scholes has no agent and conducts his own negotiations. Class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Any chance his dad is a utd fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Paully D wrote: »
    People might not think this means much but I think it proves that there are some good, sensible kids left playing the game that aren't all motivated by money.

His current agent has been pestering him about looking for a move to one of the top 4 and he was sick of it, so left his agent and his Dad is now his new agent.

A very sensible move IMO, and as I said it proves that not every player is motivated by money.

Apologies if this is not worthy of it's own thread, but I thought people might be interested to see that there's still some sensible footballers out there.
    Sorry, what? How does this prove he isn't motivated by money? Most players move to a top 4 club for reasons other than money. Given your stance on the Bent transfer, it seems you can't seem to fathom that players generally do want to join bigger clubs, and quite often for reasons other than the increase in pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Rob113 wrote: »
    Any chance his dad is a utd fan?

I think his Dad rang Bruce to say that Henderson had no plans to go anywhere and for Bruce not to be worrying about him wanting to move. So it's probably less likely now that United will get Henderson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

IvySlayer wrote: »

I never knew that. That's excellent.

• Advertisement

mars bar wrote: »
    I think his Dad rang Bruce to say that Henderson had no plans to go anywhere and for Bruce not to be worrying about him wanting to move. So it's probably less likely now that United will get Henderson.

That's exactly what happened mate. His agent was angling for a move and Henderson's Dad rang Quinny to say that it was the agent trying it on and not Jordan himself. The agent was sent packing and now his Dad is his agent.

Henderson will go to Manchester United in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

CSF wrote: »
    Sorry, what? How does this prove he isn't motivated by money? Most players move to a top 4 club for reasons other than money. Given your stance on the Bent transfer, it seems you can't seem to fathom that players generally do want to join bigger clubs, and quite often for reasons other than the increase in pay.
    Well speaking financially and from looking at the table Aston Villa are not a bigger club than Sunderland.

That's exactly what happened mate. His agent was angling for a move and Henderson's Dad rang Quinny to say that it was the agent trying it on and not Jordan himself. The agent was sent packing and now his Dad is his agent.

Henderson will go to Manchester United in time.

It had obviously been boiling over for a while coz I remember reading about Henderson wanting to stay a couple of months into the season and Bruce saying about the phone call on Sky Sports.

The agent obviously went a step too far in this window! It's nice to see players taking it upon themselves to do what is better for them. I just hope the Dad doesn't become too controlling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well speaking financially and from looking at the table Aston Villa are not a bigger club than Sunderland.
    Villa are both financially and historically (which is basically how the size of a club is defined) a bigger club than Sunderland. They may not finish ahead of Sunderland this season (although who knows, if this result stays the same there is only 12 points in it, not completely uncatchable), but this kind of thing has happened before. and generally by and large, the bigger historically successful clubs do regain their place above those teams are having a good season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

[HTML][/HTML]
    I never knew that. That's excellent.

Thats only been in the past 5-6 years .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

mixednuts wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

Thats only been in the past 5-6 years .

Did he even need an agent being a one club man?

Andy O'Brien went to Leeds there recently negotiating his own
    terms I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

How is not angling for better paying job deemed sensible? and whats wrong with being motivated by money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭baldshin

I think it proves that there are some good, sensible kids left playing the game that aren't all motivated by money.

He might still want a move to a top four club, with more money- this way his Dad now gets a huge payday if/when it happens, and not his agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

His dad lives next door to my best mate - little Jordan was always kicking footballs into his garden......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Who was his agent?

Maybe after seeing the Rooney debacle unfold made him and his dad take action...or just maybe fergie advised him to dump his greedy ass agent!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

agents should be banned from football altogether

dahat wrote: »
    Who was his agent?

Maybe after seeing the Rooney debacle unfold made him and his dad take action...or just maybe fergie advised him to dump his greedy ass agent!!!

Colin Gordon.

He was banned from Middlesboro a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

eagle eye wrote: »

Are you saying all those teams above villa and liverpool at the moment are bigger than them? grow up man and loss the chip on your shoulder... it wasn't so long ago that ye bought the championship....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Probably earned half of what a footballer of his calibre should in modern football. Class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Probably earned half of what a footballer of his calibre should in modern football. Class.

That is probably an understatement tbh. Given that he never earned a single penny from endorsements, advertising, etc the potential earnings he has passed up on throughout his career could be a very large number altogether.

I find it charming, though incredibly stupid on his part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Definitely classy on his part. half what a modern footballer earns would still be bordering on sick. Is there no such thing as 'enough' money in this day and age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

While we are talking about him, don't know if anyone has seen it, but David Meyler linked this on his Twitter a while ago...

I'm on my phone so I hope the link works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7h5EyJltwU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Didn't Kevin Doyle say on Soccer Am before he hasn't got an agent either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

James Milner doesn't have an agent either and uses a representative from the PFA when negotiating transfers / contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

agents should be banned from football altogether

I don't agree. Footballers do need someone to look after their interests. A lot of them are braindead.

But I think the incentive to move so often needs to be removed, i.e. the wage increase. That's the main reason for people moving. You see lads sign a 5 year deal, then have one excellent season and all of a sudden they feel they need to cash in on that season by moving somewhere for the bigger wage.

I would like to see players held to their contracts more often, if they want to move they should do so on exactly the same terms and length of contract as they were on at the previous club. Just like American sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That is probably an understatement tbh. Given that he never earned a single penny from endorsements, advertising, etc the potential earnings he has passed up on throughout his career could be a very large number altogether.

Ya with his good looks and all he should have made a fortune:rolleyes:

Also re:SUnderland/Villa and the bigclub etc......Sunderland are 12 pts ahead of villa with an extra game played-they are having their best season in quite a while while villa are prob having their worst. I'd wager that Villa will finish ahead of sunderland 9 seasons out of 10 (maybe even this season who knows) and have resourses much greater than sunderland. Regardless how much Bent got for moving this move made sense for him from a football point of view IMO

Y

Ya with his good looks and all he should have made a fortune:rolleyes:

Ya sure Rooney is a sexy b*****d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Fair play to him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭jaykay74

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

He has a nike endorsement...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/may/18/manchesterunited.championsleague1

The one endorsement he has allowed himself - a boot deal with Nike - is unusual in that it carries few public obligations. 'He's been with us for years,' a Nike executive tells Observer Sport. 'For us, association is enough. If you go around the world, he is one of the only players not asked to do public appointments. He's a shy guy, but that's fine.'

Still quite high on the uk footballers rich list. Guess he values time with the family over photo shoots and inane magazine interviews. Stupid guy.

http://www.footy-boots.com/footballs-rich-list/

• Advertisement
Advertisement