Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*How to achieve high grades in English?*

• 22-01-2011 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any tips on how to achieve the highest possible grade in Higher Level English?. It's the only subject I have no clue how to study for. I'm in 5th year and we've done Comprehensions, 2 poets and 4 Acts of Hamlet. I achieved an A in my Junior certificate and would love to get an A in my Leaving certificate come June 2012. Any study books etc. would also be appreciated thanks guys!.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

The first thing is to be familiar with the marking scheme so you can focus your study effectively

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2010/LC002ALP000EV.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

As far as revision books go "Key Notes" seems to be the book of choice. I havnt got a copy yet but I know people who swear by it. It does good work on the comparative but it doesn't do every possible text so check with your teacher what texts you'll be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭StrawberryJazz

I used to get C3s in English, not because I didn't try but because I was lazy about spelling and punctuation.

It is a pain but I shot up in grades once I started paying attention to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭grinds

There is a Hamlet category under construction on <snip> that you might find useful

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,322 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Grinds, you've been told previously not to post links to that site. As you've persisted in doing so I have no option but to siteban you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

If you look at the Chief Examiners Reports on the State Examinations Commission website, they give exemplar material, with marks and a comment. That might help. Run through those and look at what has been done in that answer (and in your own answers) in terms of:
    • The 'flow' of the answer - your answer should not be stop-start
    • The introduction and explanation of points - With no paraphrasing (VNB!), and preferably 'including an example' in the form of a quote or reference, just like I've done in this sentence
    • The structure - each paragraph has one distinct point and the overall order of paragraphs is logical
    • Nice vocabulary is always a good thing, as long as you know what the words actually mean
    • Etc.
    Have a quick look at the marking schemes too: PCLM!

If I could give one bit of advice, I'd say make sure that every single sentence you write relates to the question, and improves your overall answer to the question. Then throw in some big words. :-)

By the way, this kind of thing worked to improve my own grades, but I'm only in sixth year myself so I could be completely wrong! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 0987654321

Zaph wrote: »
    Grinds, you've been told previously not to post links to that site. As you've persisted in doing so I have no option but to siteban you.

Dont know him or that site(never got to see it it was snipped)....but what exactly is wrong with the site if hes helping out.

Advertisement