Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To infinity and beyond

Options
  • 22-01-2011 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Right, in IP properly since the start of January - had been in Nov for about a week before year-end work mania got in the way. Starting this log as if I'm being honest despite going 4x per week since the start of Jan I've probably taken it a bit easy on myself i.e. skipping the last work block sometimes and heading home so as not to 'do too much too soon' and other gheyness. Figure keeping a public log will force me to htfu and be more honest with myself. Prior to IP had done about 6mths faffing around with Starting Strength. Stats - pretty far into the wrong side of 30, 79kg.

So, tested this weekend.

First test (mid-Nov - and with basically no gym since that test until 4 Jan)
    Bench - a pathetic 60kg
    Pull-up - an ultra pathetic zero - with no movement at all from a dead hang. Where's the shake-head emoticon?
    Press-ups - 35 in one min. Meh
    Inverted row - pathetic 11.
    TBDL - 130kg - pretty awful form on the 130 tbh but it was a 20kg pb.
    Skin folds - 135mm. Bad but expected.
    Weight - 78kg.

Second test this weekend.
    Bench - a still pathetic 65kg. Probably a symptom of me hating benching. That and being a weak-assed mofo.
    Pull up - very nearly one - got my nose above the bar but just missed getting the chin over. Pathetic, but in a weird way happy-ish at the same time.
    Press ups - 37. Surprised this wasn't better.
    Inverted row - 22. Very happy with this - doubled my previous total.
    Deadlift - 150kg on the fugliest lift ever. Think Will gave me this out of pity more than anything else.
    Spider test - 490 metres. Not good but better than I expected. At least I can improve on that next time.
    Skinfolds - 135-fukin-mm - really annoyed with this, don't understand it. I feel less fat but obviously am not.
    Weight - 79.6kg - up a kilo and a half.

C1
    IP warm up X3
    Prowler pushes - 10 @ 80kg in 9min 30 secs. Really had to grind this out, didn't think I'd make it for the 10 - legs in bits after testing.

Box jumps x10, DB floor press x10 @15kg, unsupported rows x5 e/s @ 15kg - 13 rounds in 15mins. If I'd pushed myself a bit harder could have squeezed out another round I'd say.

KB swings - 16kg 20secs on, 40secs off, 10 rounds. Focussed in pushing the kb down on the downswing, tried to get at least 16 swings per round, although dropped to 14 on the last couple of rounds.

Legged it after that without doing the second block - see, this is why I need a public log...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Good idea about keeping yourself honest. To that end if you don't post up any/full detes of each training session we should automatically assume you flaked out early, eh? :P

I suck profoundly at all of the calisthenic/bodyweight exercises you listed too, so very interested to see how you come on.

What's the spider test, by the way? It's to hard to know exactly what these IP workouts are like sometimes, having never seen/done one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Which one are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Good idea about keeping yourself honest. To that end if you don't post up any/full detes of each training session we should automatically assume you flaked out early, eh? :P

That's the theory anyway!

What's the spider test, by the way? It's to hard to know exactly what these IP workouts are like sometimes, having never seen/done one.

Spider test is 6x30 second sprint periods where you have to run in a set pattern and touch a cone on the ground every 5 metres. Not fun.
    Hanley wrote: »
    Which one are you?

I'll say hello next time I'm in.

Sunday 23 January

Foam rolling. First time in a few months so it was always going to be deeply unpleasant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I'll say hello next time I'm in.

YOSSS!! I'm famous :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Hanley wrote: »
    YOSSS!! I'm famous :)

Oh god here we go again.....:pac:

Fair play on the log Gordon :)

• Advertisement

Monday 24 Jan

IP warmup x3.

S1

Box squats

Worked up to 5x5 @ 90kg. Focussed on stopping my left knee tracking in which is a problem I've become aware of recently - might be a cause of/symptom of/contributory factor to my left hip flexor being very sore if I do a lot of squatting?

Felt pretty comfortable, happy with the weight given my previous best for A to G squats was 3x5 @ 92.5kg.

Single leg deadlift

Work sets - 3x8 each leg @ 17.5kg. Kept weight lighter than I needed to as still trying to fix my dreadful balance issues, particularly on my left leg. Was pretty happy with my stability - although had to concentrate on it.

Russian twists

3x20 e/s with 24kg kettlebell. Tough enough tbh.

Chin ups

Work sets 5x5 with green band. These were easy - should really have moved on to the blue band - next time.

Speed bench

5x5 @ 40kg (60%). Grand apart from bizarrely losing my concentration on the last rep of the final set and nearly braining myself. Was nothing to do with not being able to make the rep just literally allowed my mind to wander. Stoopid.

Back extensions

3x15 plus 10kg plate. Fine although the last few reps on the last set were a struggle. Lower back throbbing driving home.

Under time pressure by that stage so didn't do seated DB powercleans. Will do them after my next Con session to make up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

username win!

Wed 26 Jan

IP warmup x3

C2

Con block - 10 mins

Prowler pushes @ 40kg (50% of bodyweight) - 20 pushes in 9min 42sec.

Could/should have probably squeezed in a 21st up and back push but tbh that would have involved picking myself up off the astroturf which by that stage was not going to happen. Found this tough.

This was the first time I've gone for the lighter weight on the prowler - normally I do 10 pushes in 10 mins @ 80kg. Very tough today but in a different way - more aerobic I think. Was very out of breath by the end.

Work block 1 - 15 mins

Reverse lunges x5 e/s +10kg
    Push ups x5
    Pull ups x5 with grey band

Only got 10 rounds in the 15minutes. Feckin annoyed.

I should have probably used the green band on the pullups rather than grey as they were just that bit too easy. Was trying to beat my previous best of 10 but will change tack and up the number of push ups and pull ups to 8 and use the green band instead next time.

Con block - 10 mins

10kg dumbell snatch - 10 snatches from the ground in 15 seconds right hand, 15 seconds rest, 15 seconds left hand etc.

This was an experiment tbh and I think I totally misjudged it - I reckon the weight was far too light. Would have used a 16kg kettlebell but there were none available due to team training. Still, got the heartrate up anyway but nothing like as challenging as the prowler con block.

Work block 2 - 15 mins

Hang clean and press x5 @ 20kg
    DB push ups and rows x10 @ 10kg
    Situps x10

9 rounds in 14mins 20 secs.

Found this one tough going. Really wanted to get 10 rounds given that I dropped the weight off the hang cleans but I think the prowler etc. earlier really emptied the tank.

I'd normally do the hang clean and press @ 30kg but my shoulders were killing me right from the off so took the plates off and was okay after that. DB push up and rows were okay - am actually starting to enjoy them and should really have used heavier DBs. Situps were meh - I just don't enjoy them.

Friday 28 Jan

IP 14 warmup x3

C1

Con block 1

Prowler + 40kg, 20 pushes in just over 8 minutes. Happy with this - same exercise nearly killed me last time so wanted to do it again - didn't break for the last three pushes just turned around and pushed off again. Was panting but nothing like as bad as the last time.

Work block 1

Box jump and turn x 10 jumps
    T push ups x 10
    Upright KB row @16kg x 10

9 rounds in 13 mins 40 secs. Happy enough with this given it was my first time doing it. I've discovered with this one and IP 13 that I love box jumps.

Con block 2

KB swings @ 16kg 20 secs on 40 secs off for 10 minutes. Fine - focussed on popping my hips more on the upswing. Want to start working some sprint work in so will try to do the spider drill on my next con session if the astroturf is free.

Work block 2

KB swing @ 16kg x 10
    KB press @ 16kg x 5 e/s
    Bounds x 2 lengths (each length 10 metres)

Enjoyed this one although pressing with my left arm is piss weak. 11 rounds in 14 mins 50 secs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

Friday 28 Jan

IP 14 warmup x3

C1

Con block 1

Prowler + 40kg, 20 pushes in just over 8 minutes. Happy with this - same exercise nearly killed me last time so wanted to do it again - didn't break for the last three pushes just turned around and pushed off again. Was panting but nothing like as bad as the last time.

Work block 1

T push ups x 10

9 rounds in 13 mins 40 secs. Happy enough with this given it was my first time doing it. I've discovered with this one and IP 13 that I love box jumps.

Con block 2

KB swings @ 16kg 20 secs on 40 secs off for 10 minutes. Fine - focussed on popping my hips more on the upswing. Want to start working some sprint work in so will try to do the spider drill on my next con session if the astroturf is free.

Work block 2

KB swing @ 16kg x 10
    KB press @ 16kg x 5 e/s
    Bounds x 2 lengths (each length 10 metres)

Enjoyed this one although pressing with my left arm is piss weak. 11 rounds in 14 mins 50 secs.

Good stuff dude. When you have the time...we'll do an EXTRA conditioning block and get your mm's down.

• Advertisement

Good stuff dude. When you have the time...we'll do an EXTRA conditioning block and get your mm's down.

Cheers Will. I'll do an extra conditioning block at the end of every session from now on.

Sat 29 Jan

IP warmup x3

S1

Front squats

Work sets - 5x3 @ 65kg. Haven't done front squats before but they were fine. Could have gone probably to 75kg today but wanted to focus on technique.

Singe leg supported RDL

Work sets - 4x8 @ 12.5kg in each hand. Fine, deffo felt it in my hammies.

DB sit ups

3x10 @ 5kg in each hand. Grand, should have gone heavier.

Neutral grip pull ups

Work sets - 1 rep with no band, 7 with green. Then 4 more sets of 8 using green band. Did 6+2 on the last set, other sets were straight through. Will use blue band next time. Very happy with the 1 rep with no assistance, first time I've managed that.

Alternate arm DB incline press

Work sets 5x6 e/s @ 15kg. Fine, could prob have gone a bit heavier tbh.

Ab roll-outs

3x10. Not fun, ended up faceplanting into the astro turf more than once. Still, can tell they'll be good for me.

KB shrugs

5x8 @ 16kg. Grand.

Sun 30 Jan

Foam rolling.

Mon 31 Jan

IP warmup x3

C2

Con block 1

Prowler +80kg. 10 pushes in 8mins 38secs. Absolutely fine, have really improved on the prowler in the past month.

Work block 1

Single leg squat - 5 e/s
    Sit thru - 5 e/s
    Pull ups - grey band - 5

9 rounds in 15mins 01secs. Okay, had issues with balance on the single leg squats which slowed me down.

Con block 2

KB swings @ 16kg. 20secs on, 40secs off. Good, did the swings good and fast.

Work block 2

DB snatch 5 sets e/s @ 15kg
    Caterpillar 2 lengths
    Tuck jump x 10

What a beeotch. Those tuck jumps are horrible. 7 rounds in 14mins even - too fecked to attempt another round in the minute I had left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Con block 1
    Prowler +80kg. 10 pushes in 8mins 38secs. Absolutely fine, have really improved on the prowler in the past month.

Why didn't ya go for the full 10mins....just curious.

Ya could have tried to see how many pushes ya can do in 10mins.

gymfreak wrote: »
    Why didn't ya go for the full 10mins....just curious.

Ya could have tried to see how many pushes ya can do in 10mins.

Good question - not sure why actually. Just had 10 pushes in my head - but yeah will try for as many as poss in the 10 mins next time instead of limiting it to 10 pushes.

Wed 2 Feb

IP Warmup x3

S2 (modified)

Got a deep tissue massage last night to try to sort my crappy left shoulder blade issues. Spoke to Will about it and he said to leave out the deadlifts from S2 for tonight to avoid stressing the stabiliser muscles in my shoulder blade following the pummelling it took last night. On Will's advice I turned S2 on its head, starting with the second part of S2 and keeping exercises at light weight/high reps.

DB Bench

Work sets 5x8 @ 12.5kg. Light so fine.

Inverted ring rows

5x5, tough enough but fine.

45 degree side arches

3x10 each side. Okay, neither great nor crap.

Single arm DB press

3x10 each side @ 12.5kg. Light so fine.

Goblet squats (in place of deadlifts)

5x10 @ 24kg. Grand.

Reverse hypers

3x10 plus 10kg plate. Fine, much easier than last time.

Alternate plate situps

3x10 with 10kg plate. Fine, quite enjoyed them actually.

Fri 4 Feb

IP Warmup x3

C1

Today I learned a very important lesson. Hangovers and gym do not agree with me.

Con block 1

Spider drill 130m x 6.

Tough, going to work it into my Con days more frequently.

Work block 1

Box jump over and back x10
    T push ups x10
    Upright KB row x10 @ 16kg

About the only good thing I can say about this is that I just about avoided puking. Only got 5 rounds in the 15 mins, had to stop after each round as I felt like I was going to hurl. Just awful.

Con block 2

Prowler pushes - prowler + 80kg.

11 pushes in 9min 35sec. Was going to stop at the 10 but pushed myself to break the 10 in ten minutes (thanks Gymfreak!). Glad I did but felt seriously pukey after.

Went home after that to lie on the couch and feel sorry for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Fri 4 Feb

Con block 2

Prowler pushes - prowler + 80kg.

11 pushes in 9min 35sec. Was going to stop at the 10 but pushed myself to break the 10 in ten minutes (thanks Gymfreak!). Glad I did but felt seriously pukey after.

It makes a HUGE difference trying to fit in an extra push or three in the 10mins. Good work:).

Wed 9 Feb

Away in France for a long weekend of lots of eating, drinking etc. so gagging to get back to it. I'd say I piled on a couple of kilos - although the steak tartare was like a much tastier version of a protein shake so worth it :D

IP warmup x3

S1

Front squats

Work sets - 3x5 @ 70kg. Felt fine if challenging. Only realised when I read my diary from last time that I did 5 sets of 3 last time. I do remember Will saying something about sets of 3 on front squats as it's less taxing on the wrists. Reckon I could have gone 75kg if I did 5x3 - will do next time.

Singe leg supported RDL

Work sets - 4x8 @ 17.5kg in each hand. Grand.

DB sit ups

3x15 @ 7.5kg in each hand. Okay, last few reps in the final set were a bit of a struggle.

Neutral grip pull ups

Work sets - 2 reps (and very nearly a third) with no band (PR and a 100% improvement on last time - okay, so it's off a very low base but I'll take the small victories where I can!), remaining six in that set with blue band. Next set using blue band went 2, 2, 2, 2. Final 3 sets of 8 were done using the green band. First time using blue band - will go for a majority of sets with the blue next time. Happy enough given the extra lard I piled on over the weekend.

Alternate arm DB incline press

Work sets 5x5 e/s @ 17.5kg. 3x5 then 1x4 and 1x3. Tougher than I expected.

Ab roll-outs

1x15, 2x10. Much better than last time.

KB shrugs

5x12 @ 16kg. Neck muscles a bit sore after these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I'm still trying to figure out who you are... I currently have 3 'possibles'!!!!

• Advertisement

G86 wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out who you are... I currently have 3 'possibles'!!!!
    It's like a panto....he's behind you.

He was training beside you last night so if you two don't know who each other are I'll make sure you do next time you are both in.

He was training beside you last night

Really? I tend to get tunnel vision in the gym so didn't notice anyone beside me! G86 I've seen your vids on your log so I'll say hi next time I see you.

Thurs 10 Feb

IP warmup X2

C1

Con block 1

Prowler + 90kg. 11 pushes in 10 mins 05 secs. Pleased with this - it's the heaviest weight I've pushed, glad to get more than the 10. Pretty much fecked after it.

Work block 1

T push ups x 10

9 rounds in 15 mins 20 secs. Not thrilled, same number of rounds but nearly 2 minutes slower than previous time.

Con block 2

Goblet squats 20 secs on 40 secs off for 10 minutes. First three rounds were with 24kg KB then switched to 16kg because grip was starting to slip.

Didn't want to do KB swings / presses given that they are in the second work block so instead tried the goblet squats.

Work block 2

KB swing @ 16kg x 10
    KB press @ 16kg x 5 e/s
    Bounds x 2 lengths

9 rounds in 14 mins 52 secs. Not happy, two rounds down on last time.

Overall this session was strange - I enjoyed it but both work blocks were down on the first time I did C1 and I struggled a bit to push through to the finish.

Work block 1

T push ups x 10

9 rounds in 15 mins 20 secs. Not thrilled, same number of rounds but nearly 2 minutes slower than previous time.
    It'll go much faster when you aren't doing 20 box jumps.

Sat 12 Feb

IP warmup x3

C2

Con block 1

Prowler +90kg. 11 pushes in 9 min 40 secs. Happy enough, nothing like as wrecked after it as Thursday. 100kg next time.

Work block 1

Single leg squat - 5 e/s
    Sit thru - 5 e/s
    Pull ups - grey band - 5

9 rounds in 14 mins 53 secs.

No improvement on last time although it felt better. Was doing it with a mate which probably cost me at least a round. Single leg squats were much improved, balance much better.

Con block 2

Prowler + 40kg. 21 pushes in 10 mins. As above, could probably have got at least 2 or 3 more if I'd been doing it on my own. Felt good.

Work block 2

Caterpillar 2 lengths
    Tuck jump x 10

7 rounds in 15 mins. Again, no improvement on last time but I was starting to run out of steam by then.

Good session, could have got through more working on my own. I definitely feel my work capacity has gone up a lot in the last month and a half.

Sun 13 Feb

Trained in Trinity today.

IP warmup x3

S2

Deadlift

Used a straight bar as no trap bar in Trinity.

Warm ups x 5 reps for each of 50kg, 60kg, 70kg

Work sets
    5 x 80kg
    5 x 90kg
    5 x 100kg
    5 x 105kg
    5 x 110kg

These were fine - actually felt better as I went on. I'll start at 100kg next time and work up each set from there.

Reverse Hypers

3 x 15

No reverse hyper machine so couldn't add weight. Improvised them off a high box. Grand.

Alternate plate situps

1 x 5 @ 5kg
    1 x 5 @ 10kg
    3 x 10 @ 15kg

Felt grand, quite enjoying them now.

DB Bench Press

5 x 5 @ 18kg. Felt fine, could deffo have gone higher but the next available DBs were 27.5kg which would have been several steps too far...

Inverted Rows

5 x 6

No rings so had to do straight bar rows instead. Fine.

45 degree Side bends

3 x 10 e/s. Grand. Will add some weight next time.

Single DB Press

3 x 10e/s @ 16kg. Fine. Deffo harder using my left arm.

What was it like training in Trinity? Did anyone recognise you from the internet?

What was it like training in Trinity? Did anyone recognise you from the internet?

Hah, nobody recognised me - back to stealth mode!

Tues 15 Feb

IP warmup X2

C1

Con block 1

Prowler + 100kg. 11 pushes in 9 mins 40 secs. Very happy with this and felt really good after it.

Work block 1

T push ups x 10

9 rounds in 14 mins 30 secs. Same number of rounds as last week but a minute quicker so going in the right direction I suppose.

Con block 2

Prowler + 40kg. FML this was really tough. 22 pushes in 9 mins 55 secs and I had to really fight for it. Did the pushes in sets of three without a break for the first nine pushes, then had to do sets of two after that. Really felt wiped at the end of it.

Work block 2

KB swing @ 16kg x 10
    KB press @ 16kg x 5 e/s
    Bounds x 2 lengths

6 rounds in 10 mins. Was completely dead on my feet with this one - started a seventh round but just wasn't happening so I left it at 10 minutes.

Review
    Overall, session started out really well, was delighted with the 11 pushes @ 100kg on the prowler. By the second work block I was totally wiped. Guess that means I have to work on my stamina.

• Advertisement

Sat 19 Feb

IP warmup x2

C2

Con block 1

Prowler + 100kg. 10 pushes in 9 min 45 secs. Found it really hard today, prowler just seemed glued to the concrete. One push down on last time.

Work block 1

Single leg squat - 5 e/s
    Sit thru - 5 e/s
    Pull ups - grey band - 5

12 rounds in 14 mins 53 secs.

Very pleased with this one. Beat my previous best on this work block by 3 rounds.

Con block 2

KB swings @ 16kg. 20 secs on, 40 secs off. Fine, I find KB swings quite boring but wanted to do something other than another prowler run.

Work block 2

Caterpillar 2 lengths
    Tuck jump x 10

7 rounds in 14 mins 50 secs. Same as last time - halfway through the first round on this block I always feel like I'm going to smash my previous record - and then those fecking caterpillars take their toll :mad:

Review

Disappointed with only getting the 10 pushes on the prowler. Very happy to smash my previous best on the first work block. Overall, a good session which I enjoyed.

Advertisement