Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To infinity and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Prowler + 100kg. 10 pushes in 9 min 45 secs. Found it really hard today, prowler just seemed glued to the concrete. One push down on last time.

Review

Disappointed with only getting the 10 pushes on the prowler. Very happy to smash my previous best on the first work block. Overall, a good session which I enjoyed.

Barry replaced one of the shos on one of the prowlers - maybe you got the slow one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

hooplah wrote: »
    Barry replaced one of the shos on one of the prowlers - maybe you got the slow one?
    We do that just for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Mon 21 Feb

IP warmup X2

C1

Con block 1

Prowler + 100kg. 11 pushes in 9 mins 35 secs. Good to get back to 11 after I dropped back to 10 on Saturday. Felt pretty good.

Work block 1

Box jump and turn x 10 jumps
    T push ups x 10
    Upright KB row @ 16kg x 10

10 rounds in 14 mins 15 secs. Up one round and in a slightly quicker time so I'm happy.

Con block 2

Prowler + 40kg. 23 pushes in 9 mins 58 secs. Tough going but beat my previous best so happy enough. I find the lighter weight prowler pushes harder than the heavy pushes.

Work block 2

KB swing @ 16kg x 10
    KB press @ 16kg x 5 e/s
    Bounds x 2 lengths

11 rounds in 14 mins 28 secs. Happy with this - beat my previous record by two rounds. Glad I pushed through after wimping out last time I did this block.

Review

Happy with this session. It was tough going but I did well on the prowler and beat my record on both of the work blocks so heading in the right direction.

Lets check your skinfolds when you are next in...just strip down, weigh in...get your shirt off and yell for me so I can do them quick.

Tues 22 Feb

IP warmup x3

S1

Front squats

Warm up then work sets - 1x5 @ 60, 1x5 @ 70kg. Then 3x3 @75kg. 75kg felt heavy although the limiting factor was my wrists. Pain was getting intense on the last set.

Singe leg supported RDL

Work sets - 2x8 @ 17.5kg in each hand. Okay.

DB sit ups

3x15 @ 10kg in each hand. Fine, tbh my arms were failing on the last set rather than my stomach.

Neutral grip pull ups

Work sets - 2 reps with no band using neutral grip, then one rep with no band using proper pull up grip just to see if I could. Then five reps using blue band done 3, 2. Second set was 3, 3, 2 using blue band. Final set was better - 4, 4 using blue band.

Alternate arm DB incline press

Skipped this, feeling weak by then.

Ab roll-outs

3x15 - fine.

KB shrugs

3x12 @ 16kg. Fine.

Review

Felt pretty weak on this session, didn't enjoy it. Not surprising as I ended spending most of last night being sick :o

One positive from yesterday is that I got my folds done and I'm down 10mm in a month to 125mm. Not as much as I'd hoped but I'm assured it's the trend that counts...

• Advertisement

Fri 25 Feb

IP warmup x2

Tight for time today so knew I wasn't going to get the full session done in time.

C2

Con block 1

Spider drills. 130 metres x 6. Pretty happy with this - although it hurts I like it because it gives immediate feedback as to my stamina. Time on the rounds - 37, 41, 43, 45, 45, 47. Two obvious goals - decrease the time it takes to get 130 in, and bring the time for the later runs closer to the time on the first run.

Work block 1

Single leg squat - 5 e/s
    Sit thru - 5 e/s
    Pull ups - grey band - 5

12 rounds in 14 mins 22 secs.

Happy enough with this. Same number as last time but shaved 30 secs off the time.

Con block 2

Prowler + 100kg. 11 pushes in 9 min 34 secs. Okay - happy enough but could/should have squeezed in another one as I felt pretty good during and after it.

Review

Good enough session. Had to leave early so didn't get the second work block in but not the end of the world. Glad to get back on the horse after being ill during the week.

Sun 27 Feb

Was going to go to Trinity this morning but such a nice day I just went to the park instead.

Con block

Spider drill - 1 minute max effort using a GAA penalty area, 1 minute recovery. Repeat six times. Was gasping after this.

Work block

200m run @ 80% max effort followed by 10 pushups, 200m run followed by 9 pushups etc. all the way down to 1, then did an extra 200m run and another 10 pushups.

Con block

Spider drill - 130m x 6. Was okay actually.

Review

Nice to get outside. Felt that the work block wasn't really challenging enough but going to the park was a spur of the moment thing so it was all that popped into my head. Enjoyed being outdoors on a sunny morning.

Mon 28 Feb

IP warmup x2

C2

Con block 1

Spider block. 6 x 130m. Rounds in seconds - 40, 41, 43, 44, 47, 44. Took it too easy on the fifth round so pushed myself on the last round.

I think the big floor clock in IP must be a bit slow as these times are a small but significant bit down on last time I did this - despite me feeling like I had done it faster, particularly on the first block. I was using my phone as a stopwatch today so I'll use these times as my base for next time. Feckin floored after this block.

Work block 1

Single leg squat - 5 e/s
    Sit thru - 5 e/s
    Pull ups - grey band - 5

13 rounds in 14 mins 35 secs.

Happy with this - improved by one round.

Con block 2

Prowler + 120kg. 10 pushes in 9 min 35 secs. 20kg more than I've ever done before. Tough going and slow but happy to get the 10 and didn't actually feel too bad after.

Work block 2

DB snatch 5 sets e/s @ 15kg
    Caterpillar 2 lengths
    Tuck jump x 10

4 rounds in 9 mins 30 secs. Felt alright doing this but then got a stabbing pain in my left shoulder on the caterpillars which I couldn't get rid of so I quit. Must go to the chemist and get some more HTFU cream.

Review

Good session. Still making good progress on the prowler and it's not completely wrecking me like it used to even though I'm upping the weight and/or pushes each time. Work block 1 was good. I fupping hate work block 2 and hurting my shoulder didn't make me love it any more.

I not only control time in IP....longer workblocks and shorter recovery periods...I also control gravity...you need to talk to me before training if you want either time or gravity on a particular setting.

Wed 2 March

IP warmup X2

C1

Con block 1

Prowler + 120kg. 11 pushes in 9 min 50 secs. Not as hard as the last day but the lungs were bursting on the last push and for a couple of minutes after - squeezing in the extra push is always a grind. Not sure whether to go up again in weight next time or try to get 12 pushes @ 120kg.

Work block 1

T push ups x 10

8 rounds in 14 mins even. Pretty sure it was actually 9 rounds but lost count so I'll be strict and deduct the one I'm unsure of. Not great, two down on last time.

Con block 2

Spider sprints. 6 x 130m. Rounds in seconds - 40, 43, 44, 44, 44, 43. Times for each round were more consistent this time, although still a nearly 10% drop-off between the first and second rounds which I'll need to work on.

Work block 2

KB swing @ 16kg x 10
    KB press @ 16kg x 5 e/s
    Bounds x 2 lengths

8 rounds in 14 mins 10 secs. Argh. Down 3 rounds on last time. Bloody annoying.

Review

Strange session. Felt like I worked really hard yet both work blocks were down on last time I did them, particularly the second block. It feels sometimes like two steps forward, one step back. Still, no point getting pissed off. Enjoyed it nonetheless.

• Advertisement

Wed 2 March

IP warmup X2

C1

Con block 1

Prowler + 120kg. 11 pushes in 9 min 50 secs. Not as hard as the last day but the lungs were bursting on the last push and for a couple of minutes after - squeezing in the extra push is always a grind. Not sure whether to go up again in weight next time or try to get 12 pushes @ 120kg.

Work block 1

T push ups x 10

8 rounds in 14 mins even. Pretty sure it was actually 9 rounds but lost count so I'll be strict and deduct the one I'm unsure of. Not great, two down on last time.

Con block 2

Spider sprints. 6 x 130m. Rounds in seconds - 40, 43, 44, 44, 44, 43. Times for each round were more consistent this time, although still a nearly 10% drop-off between the first and second rounds which I'll need to work on.

Work block 2

KB swing @ 16kg x 10
    KB press @ 16kg x 5 e/s
    Bounds x 2 lengths

8 rounds in 14 mins 10 secs. Argh. Down 3 rounds on last time. Bloody annoying.

Review

Strange session. Felt like I worked really hard yet both work blocks were down on last time I did them, particularly the second block. It feels sometimes like two steps forward, one step back. Still, no point getting pissed off. Enjoyed it nonetheless.
    Training is never a linear progression...you will have days where you feel like PB's are certain to tumble and you'll have a crap session...you'll have days you have to drag yourself in and you'll amaze yourself...what you need to focus on is the bit that most people don't/can't/won't and that is turning up and punching out one session after another...consistency and application to the the task at hand is what it's about. The important sessions are those ones where you are sitting in the car after work thinking to yourself about whether you should go to the gym or not...playing little word games with yourself about how tired you and how maybe it would be better to go another day. Just keep turning up because if you do...when you look back at your log in 6 months time you are going to laugh when you see what you are doing now.

when you look back at your log in 6 months time you are going to laugh when you see what you are doing now.

Is this the famous IP double your money back guarantee I keep hearing about :D

Fri 4 March

Indoor five a side for an hour. Played the hour on the team with 4 players versus 5 so a good run around. Good to do something different.

Sat 5 March

IP warmup X4. Stiff after football last night (no stretching - lazy) so did an extra round to loosen out.

C1

Con block 1

Prowler + 120kg. 11 pushes in 9 min 30 secs. Good, legs felt it after last night.

Work block 1

T push ups x 10

9 rounds in 14 mins 30 secs. Okay, one up on last time but still one down on my best.

Con block 2

(Blatant copy from Gymfreak's log) Sprints upstairs - Halfway out sprawl and back, full way out sprawl and back X1. On the minute x 10 mins.

Hmm, figured this was far too easy - didn't realise Gymfreak did it x2 on each block. Weird running barefoot.

Work block 2

KB swing @ 16kg x 10
    KB press @ 16kg x 5 e/s
    Bounds x 2 lengths

Got one round in and my lower back got excruciating. Pain started last night after football. I have a suspicion it's because my hamstrings, particularly the right one, have been feeling really tight recently. I've been very bad about stretching / foam rolling over the last while. So I quit the work block and spent 20 minutes stretching using a band. Hams were bad and glutes were unbelievable. I'll see if it has any effect on the back.

Review

Grand session. Don't regret swapping the last work block for stretching - no point in doing it when the pain was that bad. Need to start foam rolling more frequently.

Mon 7 March

IP warmup x2

C2

Con block 1

Prowler suicides @ 40kg. Different, I'll say that for them :pac:

Thought I was going to get 11-12 no problem but the last couple of rounds were taking the guts of the minute. Ended up getting 10 rounds in 10 minutes with just 5 seconds to spare.

Work block 1

Single leg squat - 5 e/s
    Sit thru - 5 e/s
    Pull ups - green band - 5

12 rounds in 14 mins 50 secs.

Pleased with this - up on last time and I switched to the green band for the pull ups - have always used the grey before. Can feel the doms today as a result. Will use the blue next time - at least for as long as I don't miss reps.

Con block 2

Spider drills. 6 x 130m. 43, 44, 49, 48, 44, 42. Break of 1 minute between each round.

Legs felt unbelievable on this, particularly the early/middle rounds. Literally felt like lead - felt like I was running through water. Got much freer towards the end and ended up getting my best time on the last one. Reckon I need to do 1-2 rounds of jogging the spider before I do it to loosen up.

Work block 2

DB snatch 5 sets e/s @ 15kg
    Caterpillar 2 lengths
    Tuck jump x 10

4 rounds. Didn't even bother timing this, hate this round so much I just got bored, stopped and did 15 mins of stretching instead. Legs/back, particularly hamstrings, are really feeling better for the last two stretching sessions.

Review

Good session - prowler suicides were interesting. In a good way - if anything to do with the prowler can ever be described in a good way.

Sat 12 March

IP warmup X2

C1

Con block 1

Prowler + 130kg. Bit of a disaster. 8 rounds in 9 min 35 secs. Wanted to get the 10 so just kept going. Got the 10 in 13 mins 15 secs. 130kg is the heaviest I've done so far - thought I'd get the 10 in 10 but sure gives me something to work towards.

Work block 1

T push ups x 10

8 rounds in 14 mins 25 secs. Down one round on last time but not too worried as the prowler really fecked me up.

Con block 2

KB swings using 16kg KB. 30 secs on, 30 secs off. Tough going to maintain form on the last few rounds.

Work block 2

KB swing @ 16kg x 10
    KB press @ 16kg x 5 e/s
    Bounds x 2 lengths

10 rounds in 15 mins 35 secs. One down on last time and a bit slower.

Review

Good session - not worried about dropping a few rounds on the work blocks as the 130kg prowler took its toll. After the week I had in work just getting to IP was a bonus - nice to get moving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

After the week I had in work just getting to IP was a bonus

Story of my life.

Mon 14 March

IP warmup x2

C2

Con block 1

Prowler + 130kg. 11 pushes in 9 mins 52 secs. Way, way better than Saturday. Didn't feel as wrecked after it either.

Work block 1

Single leg squat - 5 e/s
    Sit thru - 5 e/s
    Pull ups - green band - 5

12 rounds in 14 mins 12 secs. Good, same number as last time but a bit quicker so all good.

Con block 2

Spider drills. 6 x 130m. 44, 55, 49, 45, 46, 56.

30 second breaks. I've been giving myself 1 minute breaks until now. The 30 second breaks make it far harder. Times really suffer with only taking 30 seconds between rounds.

Work block 2

DB snatch 5 sets e/s @ 17.5kg
    Caterpillar 2 lengths
    Tuck jump x 10

6 rounds. Fine, down one on previous times but expected as snatch weight was up a bit from previous times.

Review

Another enjoyable session.

Wed 16 March

IP warmup X2

C1

Con block 1

Spider drill. 39, 45, 48, 45, 46, 46. 30 second breaks. Tough going again.

Work block 1

T push ups x 10

9 rounds in 14 mins 05 secs. Back up to my previous best and quicker than before so happy with this.

Con block 2

Spider drills. 45, 48, 50, 47, 52, 48.

30 second breaks. Ugh, less said about this round the better.

Work block 2

KB swing @ 16kg x 10
    KB press @ 16kg x 5 e/s
    Bounds x 2 lengths

8 rounds in 13 mins 55 secs. Couple of rounds down on last time.

Review

Good session - still not happy with my performance on the spider drills but just have to keep plugging away at them.

Fri 18 March

IP warmup x2

C2

Con block 1

Prowler + 130kg. 11 pushes in 9 mins 45 secs. Felt good.

Work block 1

Single leg squat - 5 e/s
    Sit thru - 5 e/s
    Pull ups - blue band - 5

11 rounds in 14 mins 25 secs. Down one round on my best but pleased nonetheless as it's the first time I've used the blue band. Single leg squats were solid, barely a wobble.

Con block 2

DB swings @ 17.5kg. 30 secs on, 30 secs off. Fine, deffo gets the heart rate up.

Work block 2

Caterpillar 2 lengths
    Tuck jump x 10

7 rounds. Happy with this, up one round.

Review

Felt good today, pleased with the blue band pullups and getting another 11 pushes in under 10 mins @ 130kg on the prowler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

I saw you do your session tonight and you were really going at it..fair play!

Mon 21 March

IP warmup X3 + extra shoulder work - band pull aparts, scap push ups, inverted rows, face pulls - 10 reps of each added to each round of the IP warmup with lots of pec stretches thrown in during each round.

C1

Con block 1

Prowler suicides @ 40kg. 10 pushes in 9 mins 53 secs.

Work block 1

T push ups x 10

7 rounds in 14 mins even. 2 down on last time. Lots of breaks taken to rub my shoulder which was killing me because I'm such a big girl.

Con block 2

Prowler suicides @ 40kg. 10 pushes in 11 mins 28 secs.

Left it at that as didn't fancy doing KB swings and presses with my dodgy shoulder. Also I'm a big jessie. Going to hit the shoulder hard with a cricket ball and foam roller tonight.

Review

Hurt my shoulder with only my second prowler push on Saturday, has been killing me since. That shoulder has given me quite a bit of pain in the past, relieved temporarily by deep tissue massages. Will took a look at it and said it's being caused by a trigger point and that my thorasic spine and chest are really tight, which is rounding my shoulders and causing the trigger point under my shoulder blade - fecking desk work. I'm going to put in extra work strengthening the thorasic/shoulder area as part of the IP warmup and also loosening it out and stretching chest and upper back.

Work-wise - prowler suicides suck ass, particularly the second block of them.

Sat 26 March

IP warmup x2 with loads of extra shoulder stuff.

C2

Con block 1

Prowler suicides @ 40kg. 10 in 9 mins 41 secs. Fecking hate these. Still can't break the 10 in 10 barrier. Time 12 secs faster than last time so maybe get 11 next time out.

Work block 1

Single leg squat - 5 e/s
    Sit thru - 5 e/s
    Pull ups - red band then blue band - 5

9 rounds in 14 mins 15 secs.

Down two rounds on last time but not worried. Did them with the red band for the first 4 rounds - have never done a pullup with the red band before so they were quite challenging.

Switched then to the blue band for the remaining 5 rounds - did every second blue band round using an overhand pullup grip for a bit of variety - I'd say that slowed me down as well as the red band pullups.

Con block 2

Prowler suicides @ 40kg. Did one round then felt the beginnings of my shoulder blade starting to twinge again so left it.

Did loads of stretches for my shoulders and chest including some thoracic spine ones I saw on Kelly Starrett's blog.

Review

Another horrendous week in work so only got up to IP Monday and Saturday. A week to forget overall. Will do a conditioning session on my own tomorrow to make up. Hopefully I'll be able to get back into it properly next week.

You better hurry up and get your sh*t together because you are testing again the week after next.

You better hurry up and get your sh*t together because you are testing again the week after next.

Back at it tomorrow...I'll be ready for testing.

Mon 28 March

IP warmup X2 plus two rounds of lots of shoulder exercises and chest stretches.

C1

Con block 1

Lateral sprints every 30 seconds for 10 minutes. First time doing this block, found it fine.

Work block 1

T push ups x 10

9 rounds in 14 mins 50 secs. Same as last time albeit marginally slower. Happy enough.

Con block 2

Lateral sprints every 30 secs for 10 mins. Ended up doing 22 sprints as I wanted to really push myself when I was feeling empty - think the last two were probably the quickest of this block.

Work block 2

KB swing @ 16kg x 10
    KB press @ 16kg x 5 e/s
    Bounds x 2 lengths

10 rounds in 14 mins 20 secs. Two rounds up on last time. Felt good.

Review

Enjoyed myself tonight. Good to get a full session in after a few incomplete sessions.

Mon 28 March

IP warmup X2 plus two rounds of lots of shoulder exercises and chest stretches.

C1

Con block 1

Lateral sprints every 30 seconds for 10 minutes. First time doing this block, found it fine.

Work block 1

T push ups x 10

9 rounds in 14 mins 50 secs. Same as last time albeit marginally slower. Happy enough.

Con block 2

Lateral sprints every 30 secs for 10 mins. Ended up doing 22 sprints as I wanted to really push myself when I was feeling empty - think the last two were probably the quickest of this block.

Work block 2

KB swing @ 16kg x 10
    KB press @ 16kg x 5 e/s
    Bounds x 2 lengths

10 rounds in 14 mins 20 secs. Two rounds up on last time. Felt good.

Review

Enjoyed myself tonight. Good to get a full session in after a few incomplete sessions.
    Were you actually logging this while you were training? I could of sworn you were in later than this?

Good work...you were kicking ass...when are you going to test. I want to see how fat you are or are not?

Nope! Left before 9, home, shower, update log! Testing maybe Saturday week if it's not too busy?

Tues 29 March

IP warmup x2 plus all the shoulder stuff.

C2

Con block 1

Lateral sprints every 30 secs for 11 mins. 22 sprints.

Work block 1

Single leg squat - 5 e/s
    Sit thru - 5 e/s
    Pull ups - red band - 5

9 rounds in 14 mins 16 secs. Very pleased with this - all rounds were done with the red band, and all pullup sets were unbroken.

Con block 2

Lateral sprints every 30 secs for 10 mins. Second half was done with Michael, really pushes you having someone else doing it with you.

Work block 2

Caterpillar 2 lengths
    Tuck jump x 10

5 rounds in 14 mins 10 secs. Bleurgh. Just have to reconcile myself to the fact that me and this block are never going to get on. Down two rounds on last time.

Review

Happy with today, pleased with the 9 unbroken red band pullup sets.

• Advertisement

Sat 2 April

IP warmup x2 plus shoulder stuff.

Team conditioning

Four rounds, two blocks in each round.

Block 1

80kg prowler push for 5 mins in a 3 man team. 6-7 pushes each time.

Block 2

Push ups x 10
    Potato sack squat x 10 @ 24kg
    5 rows e/s @ 16kg, upped to 24kg for the last two rounds.
    Shoulder press 5 e/s @ 16kg.

Review

Grand, should have done 36kg on the sack squat and should have done 24kg for all rounds on the rows. Nice to get some variety in given the 4x p/w conditioning sessions I've been doing for the past month.

Advertisement