Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the Motorola Xoom Too Highly Priced.....

• 22-01-2011 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

I heard that the Motorola Xoom will be 799 dollars priced....

To be totally honest I was dying for the Xoom to come out and buy one but I didn't expect the price to be so high.

I might as well go out and get a I Pad that's 500euro.

Do you think this is to highly priced.... ?

Please leave your thoughts...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

yep..it's a shocking high price...Was looking to get an android tablet as I already have the iphone but the xoom was too expensive, the galaxy tab was too small so I went for the ipad instead...
    I've no idea what wtf motorola were playing at:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Been interested in the Xoom since CES 2011 but at $799 or €580 its just to pricey :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

On plenty of forums there are people saying it's too pricey so I'm going to buy an iPad. I don't get that.
    If Xoom is too pricey I'll be looking at buying another Android tablet or maybe the iPad2 when that arrives if it has some groundbreaking features that aren't available on the next gen of Android tablets (that's doubtful though).

I'd say Motorola are trying to position Xoom as the top end of the Android tablets so some people will buy them for the name. There are other things apart from the price that I don't like about the Xoom. However the price does rule it out for me no matter how good it is. After a few months the price will go down though so if I haven't bought a tablet by then I'll probably look at it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Doesn't matter what price it is, boycott Motorola for being terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭squareboy007

Seems as though it will retail for $699.99 at best buy in the states

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/22/motorola-xoom-launching-february-17th-at-best-buy/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Any way that we can buy these online from launch in the US or do we need to wait until they become available over here? Could be tempted though wish apple would get a move on and just announce the iPad 2 already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The Xoom competes with the 32GB 3G iPad @ €699, if they don't screw the consumer with the exchange rate, it will be at a very competitive price compared to it's iPad peer.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

There will be plenty of top quality tablets out this year. Ridiculous pricing. Any one that pays that is mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Way overpriced. You have to be nuts to pay that. Most i would pay for one would be 500.

I cant image this making over here though.

And i imagine the price going over the top too.

Something of comparison:

HP Envy 14 600 dollars in US
    HP Envy 14 1000 pounds in UK
    HP Envy 14 1000+ euros in Ireland (only one i found in a shop was a refurbed one for 1000 euro)

Rip of Ireland at its best. I wouldnt be surprised if this applied to high performance tablets too :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Inquitus wrote: »
    The Xoom competes with the 32GB 3G iPad @ €699, if they don't screw the consumer with the exchange rate, it will be at a very competitive price compared to it's iPad peer.

but the problem is most poeple don't buy a 32GB 3G verion as it is overkill for their needs

• Advertisement

but the problem is most poeple don't buy a 32GB 3G verion as it is overkill for their needs

A wifi only version which will no doubt be cheaper is supposed to be out in April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Obviously none of ye have compared the xoom to the ipad :(
    xoom
    -10.1 inches,
    Free apps,
    1028 x 800,
    2 cameras, front and back,
    dual core 1GH processor,

memory Card Slot,
    Usb port
    ipad
    - 9.7 inches
    Apple store :(
    1024 x 768
    none
    Single processor
    no memory card slot
    noo Usb port

I'm trying to find the article i read this on, it had more detail.
    Basically, you get what your paying for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Obviously none of ye have compared the xoom to the ipad :(

Why would they though? It would be better to compare the Xoom to the iPad 2 which should be released in the next 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cm0123

The iPad works because of the range of innovative apps.

For me, Android is still no where near to competing on this level - when it does, I'd consider an Android tablet.

I care not for dual core, cameras, memory, usb, etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Why would they though? It would be better to compare the Xoom to the iPad 2 which should be released in the next 2 months

Well it's hard to compare it against a tablet that nobody knows the spec of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

anywhere over €400 they can forget about it. was certainly interested in the sammy tab but it was way overpriced for what it was. The xoom is certainly highter spec but you can get a dual core ultraportable for less than €500 so they can fup right off!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

cm0123 wrote: »

For me, Android is still no where near to competing on this level - when it does, I'd consider an Android tablet.

Whut? :confused:
    All I can think of is the office app they showed off and thats only meh.
    Everything else Ive used is resolution bumped iphone apps which every one of has an equal if not better android equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Alan_Madden

I too was eagerly awaiting the release of the Xoom. However @$800 (apparently a source from Best Buy, however, I suspect this was a leak to gauge reaction at the pricing and it may come down to around the 650-700 mark) I will be boycotting.
    Like for like, Xoom is just a little more expensive for the same version of the iPad, so possibly it will be the same price as the same level iPad 2.

The question is, why don't they bring out entry level Xooms rather than just the 32GB 3g and eventually the wifi only version. I would love an 8GB 3G or 16GB 3G, I certainly don't need to pay for a 32GB tablet. If all comes to all I will just have to get a 16GB 3G iPad which is far cheaper than the cheapest Xoom.

Another factor, is you can get the iPad contract free and it will work using any micro sim in any country (similar to a sim free phone) where as the Xoom (from what I have heard) is contract only, like the Galaxy Tab.

Life sucks, especially for Apple renegades!!! Motorola should have know they needed a far superior product AND competitive Pricing strategy - they messed up on the latter unfortunately. We'll know more next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Ouch. I dont think their gonna sell more than 1 at that price.

• Advertisement

00sully wrote: »
    Ouch. I dont think their gonna sell more than 1 at that price.

That's a placeholder apparently, it sells for $800, which is 70 bucks more than the equivalent iPad. Considering this is a much much better bit of hardware, thats not a bad price. The iPad 2 is unlikely to be as well specced when it hits the streets.
    engadget wrote:
    Update: We've heard rumblings that this is indeed just a place holder -- much like the way other companies price products they don't want to sell at ridiculous levels -- and the final price will indeed be the $800 we've heard most consistently to this poin

Where Motorola are missing a trick is by launching one highend 3G 32Gb model when I think most tablet users are now beginning to realise that 16Gb wifi is about all you really need. Apple launched 6 in the range, Motorola should do the same in short order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭TokenWhite

I've read that it's released in the US next week but no confirmation on the European release other than it's probably going to be May at the earliest. Out of all the tablets I've been looking at the past few days it seems to be the one that ticks most of the boxes for me personally but I doubt if I have the patience to wait until May or later. Would it be worth getting the US version? What problems might arise? i.e. will it be able to connect to Irish ISP Wifi etc, power supply issues etc

Thanks in advance

@tokenwhite;
    read on silicone republic website over the weekend that it's Q2 release date (so April earliest) Vodafone will be the carrier across europe. prices quoted were €860 WHICH makes no sense as it's $800 in the US. Wifi only version in US will be 600. Wouldn't surprise me if that pricing was accurate, rip off republic all over.
    I am heading to Asia in April hoping to get one on the cheap...reports coming back from there are saying it won't be released till Q3 tho!!! Strange so hoping that's inaccurate... Nightmare. I'm heading to the US in may tho so worst case scenaio ill pick one up there. I would rather spend my money in Ireland but not at those prices :-(
    There's no issue with picking up wifi, my cousin was over in December with his iPad, popped an O2 microsim in, no problem, and also picked up wifi in my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Eoin_Sheehy

That's an interesting question, in terms of average person appeal, it's definitely too highly priced for the average Joe soap who's getting a tablet computer for the sake of having one, especially as it just doesn't have the same prestige as an iPad. However for die-hard Android it will still sell, and be quite tempting to them.

No point ordering from US as I heard you need to sign up for a 30 day data plan minimum from verizon before they unlock wifi capabilites!!!!!!!!

Yes I really did read that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

The xoom looks to be a great tablet. I have to agree with some posters that a 16GB wifi only would be a great option. I have a 64GB wifi + 3G ipad and time over, i would have saved the cash. With wifi hotspots on my desire, there is no need. The only thing is Will the wifi xoom have Market access? I know the wifi tab does not, without rooting, as a SIM card is required for access?

As "open" as android seems to be the store is awful compared to iTunes store. Its up to the user to select their region, if you want us tv programmes, etc just change the region, as required. No messing with SIM cards. Pay using vouchers, no need for credit card details. I guess the amazon store will be more similar to the iTunes one, with a selection of apps, media, music. Hopefully arriving to the device via OTA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Does anybody know if the 3G functionality works in Ireland? I'm thinking of getting a friend to buy one in the states in March but I want to make sure that it will take an Irish sim card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

There are going to be three versions, WiFi only, CDMA (not compatible with Irish/Euro networks) and a 3G/EDGE version. Im not sure when it is being launched, though.

Do not buy Motorola products. They don't let you install custom software, and don't support their devices with updates. There will be better and cheaper alternatives on the market in coming months.

Also, tablets with 3g connections are a waste. You DO have a smartphone right? You can use this to get internet on your tablet. Paying for 2xsimcards is simply not necessary, but mobile carriers (and motorola) will do their best to stop you. If you really have an overwhelming urge to get screwed motorola fall just behind apple in this regard.

• Advertisement

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Computers-Promotions/Motorola+XOOM/pcmcat233400050016.c?id=pcmcat233400050016

I really didn't think that they would enforce the one month data subscription to activate the wifi - sons of ......

Anywho, the last poster was correct, 3g microsims and signing up to data contracts will be a thing of the past soon once everyone has a smartphone. Madness getting a 3g tablet....wifi all the way, and U can still access the net wherever you go.

If anyone is hitting the states in the next few weeks, check out what price the wifi only version is WITH THE ONE MONTH data requirement. I CANNOT BELIEVE THEY ARE DOING THIS...Talk about giving apple the upper hand before the product is even officially released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Computers-Promotions/Motorola+XOOM/pcmcat233400050016.c?id=pcmcat233400050016

I really didn't think that they would enforce the one month data subscription to activate the wifi - sons of ......

Anywho, the last poster was correct, 3g microsims and signing up to data contracts will be a thing of the past soon once everyone has a smartphone. Madness getting a 3g tablet....wifi all the way, and U can still access the net wherever you go.

If anyone is hitting the states in the next few weeks, check out what price the wifi only version is WITH THE ONE MONTH data requirement. I CANNOT BELIEVE THEY ARE DOING THIS...Talk about giving apple the upper hand before the product is even officially released.

Going over there in two months time.
    Wonder if I got one could I get the one month 3G there activate there and cancel when back over here? Oh just wait till someone hacks the nuts off it.

Don't bother. iPad 2 announcement today. Unveiled next week.

redout wrote: »
    Don't bother. iPad 2 announcement today. Unveiled next week.

Who cares TBH.

Venom wrote: »
    Who cares TBH.

Me and the other 15 million who the bought the first one.

Venom wrote: »
    Who cares TBH.

Not me, me no isheep!

Yep it's over used but a sheep is a sheep!

• Advertisement

@redout; iPad? Ur kidding me right? Last years technology on the iPad 2 once again....always a year behind. Your obviously a follower of said sheep, or else your tiny brain can't handle the monster that is android and have to stick with the boring non customizable snore pad. Your ignorance to technology is hilarious.
    Don't reply to this thred unless you have something constructive to say or can have an argumentative debate, rather than just making childish comments.

Me and the other 15 million who the bought the first one.

Fool's and their money................

@godstoy; sure u can buy the 3G and probably have to purchase the one month subscription in store. Use it away while you are over there, get your moneys worth, then get your own microsim when u get home. Sorted!!!! Just ensure that it's not LOCKED to the service provider. Unlikey tho given the non subsidised price. I think I'll grab a wifi only version tho and connect it to my smart phone for wifi wherever I am. No need to be paying phone bill AND data bill with another provider here. Let me know how u get on!!!!

@redout; iPad? Ur kidding me right? Last years technology on the iPad 2 once again....always a year behind. Your obviously a follower of said sheep, or else your tiny brain can't handle the monster that is android and have to stick with the boring non customizable snore pad. Your ignorance to technology is hilarious.
    Don't reply to this thred unless you have something constructive to say or can have an argumentative debate, rather than just making childish comments.

For starters you don't know what technology iPad 2 will have so stop trying to sound like an authority.

As for childish comments just lol after reading your own childish ones.

Also you would do well to stop back seat modding.

The ipad2 could have the best specs in the world and it would still be useless because it's locked down. My cheap archos 101 will still be more useful.

• Advertisement

For starters you don't know what technology iPad 2 will have so stop trying to sound like an authority.

As for childish comments just lol after reading your own childish ones.

Also you would do well to stop back seat modding.

Hardly back seat modding, drama queen.
    I just don't appreciate pointless non constructive comments like yours, which have NOTHING to do with motorola xoom questions we were discussing. Typical of the apple community, god forbid users prefer other non apple products......it's not personal, get over it.
    Enjoy your boring iPad 2, chow.

Hardly back seat modding, drama queen.
    I just don't appreciate pointless non constructive comments like yours, which have NOTHING to do with motorola xoom questions we were discussing. Typical of the apple community, god forbid users prefer other non apple products......it's not personal, get over it.
    Enjoy your boring iPad 2, chow.

Again with the childish comments - beginning to sound hypocritical.

Perhaps you should call it a night.

Telling someone not to reply to a thread for whatever reason is back seat modding.

As regards it being non customisable who cares - overwhelming majority of users wouldn't know how to anyway.

It us not the reason they buy it - apple aren't here to accommodate the techies.

They are in business to design products that are innovative, easy to use and appeal to the majority of the buying public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

We have two bits of favourable news re Xoom:

1: As srsly noted, Moto are notorious for locking down devices. However, seems like they left the bootloader in Xoom open, surely a good news. :Dhere

2. For the poster travelling across the pond, Verizon seemingly does not force you into monthly contract. here

1: As srsly noted, Moto are notorious for locking down devices. However, seems like they left the bootloader in Xoom open, surely a good news. :Dhere

2. For the poster travelling across the pond, Verizon seemingly does not force you into monthly contract. here

Good news then even better news! Thanks!!!

Is this tablet a stock build or UI overlay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

cm0123 wrote: »

The app store is awash with crap apps, while it has more choice it has so little to look forward to unlike the Android market that is worth exploring for new apps.

I program for both IOS and Android and Android is by far the more promising platform.

Hmmm, miscommunication here:

On the 3g versions, there will be the contract free for $800 (no data subscription) and $600 for the 1 or 2 year contract I believe (see link below)

The ONE month data subscription is for the WIFI only version, I think this is where the confusion is
    Quote: "Verizon requires that you sign up for at least 1 month of 3G data to get WiFi on the XOOM"

Good read here: http://www.wirelessgoodness.com/2011/02/24/verizon-offers-the-motorola-xoom-tablet-for-600-with-only-a-1-year-contract/

Note that the Moto Droid was first released in america with open bootloader. Most likely because they were rushing to get it to market. The euro (gsm) version of the Droid was called the Moto Milestone, and was completely locked down (even today no custom roms). I bet something similar has happened here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Hmmm, miscommunication here:

On the 3g versions, there will be the contract free for $800 (no data subscription) and $600 for the 1 or 2 year contract I believe (see link below)

The ONE month data subscription is for the WIFI only version, I think this is where the confusion is
    Quote: "Verizon requires that you sign up for at least 1 month of 3G data to get WiFi on the XOOM"

Good read here: http://www.wirelessgoodness.com/2011/02/24/verizon-offers-the-motorola-xoom-tablet-for-600-with-only-a-1-year-contract/

That's bit confusing. :confused: So if you are buying a WiFi only device, they are asking you to sign 1 month 3G contract (at least). But since the tablet does not have a 3G slot, what device is that 3G contract tied to? SIM-only?

srsly78 wrote: »
    Note that the Moto Droid was first released in america with open bootloader. Most likely because they were rushing to get it to market. The euro (gsm) version of the Droid was called the Moto Milestone, and was completely locked down (even today no custom roms). I bet something similar has happened here.

That's a bummer. Although it seems that you are on the ball here, I hope that you will be proven wrong this time. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Yeah that can't be right. Why would you want a month of data for a device with no 3G.

I hate the way tablets are being sold like smartphones instead of like laptops. Contracts and data plans and all that.

Sorry guys, I so many conflicting reports going around I am confusing myself. And another new update is that that one month activation to use wifi is GONE as of 30 mins ago. MADNESS. People who have already bought it today can apply for a refund. Hilarious stuff eh.

So, here's the deal.

1. $800 for xoom contract free (no one month data plan required now)

2. $600 on contract (2 year is the only option as far as I know)

3. WIFI only will be $600 when released....no date as yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement