Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the Motorola Xoom Too Highly Priced.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Don't pay too much attention to engadget reviews :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I heard that the Motorola Xoom will be 799 dollars priced....

To be totally honest I was dying for the Xoom to come out and buy one but I didn't expect the price to be so high.

I might as well go out and get a I Pad that's 500euro.

Do you think this is to highly priced.... ?

Please leave your thoughts...

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi?Amount=800&From=USD&To=EUR

only €80 more than the iPad? Yeah I would. Depends how the iPad2 compares but I do love android.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Alan_Madden

srsly78 wrote: »
    Don't pay too much attention to engadget reviews :)

Engadget = Apple's godchild - Prob owned by apple :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Prob true and while I wouldn't pay much heed to their reviews, you've gotta give them a credit for getting their paws on nearly every bit gadgetry that comes out, most of the time before anybody else.

Little bit like Top Gear I suppose, while the format of the show and the presenters are quite idiotic, you get to see the best and the latest of the car tech in one place, before anybody else could get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

I seen there is a way you can subscribe to egadget with them even mentioning apple products.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

id like to be able to go for a xoom cause you can mod it and update it using android.

But to be honest its highly priced and can't afford it.

Owned by AOL now.. Are they owned by Crapple? :confused:

In fact one of the tech bloggers Paul Miller just walked out as he hates what AOL has done to it.. maybe he's on his way to a new JOBS role!....

Why would they though? It would be better to compare the Xoom to the iPad 2 which should be released in the next 2 months
    Yep thats what I was thinking too. It's priced to compete with the next apple pad not this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭MrMan

PC World in UK have confirmed the price for the wifi only version: http://androidcommunity.com/motorola-xoom-wifi-priced-in-uk-20110301/

£449 so about €526

Users in the US are reporting that the Xoom can be tethered via bluetooth to an android phone and use the phones data plan for 3G access. Someone has even tethered it to a jailbroken iPhone!

At that price and with the ability to tether I may just be about able to persuade myself to hit the buy button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

god's toy wrote: »
    Yep thats what I was thinking too. It's priced to compete with the next apple pad not this one.

iPad2 gets announced tomorrow from the rumours I've heard online.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭paddyman

My brother is going over to the states next week and he would have no problem bring a tablet home for me so i can get a good exchange rate.

Besides warranty, is there any other problems with bringing the current US version home?.

Can i put a Vodafone SIM into it and use it on Vodafone's 3G Network or do we have to wait for the European version to do this?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

you'd probably be better off getting the wi-fi only version and tether it to your phone.

The verizon one won't work here and I don't know if they have released a GSm version over there yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I read there today that cause of the iPad first Samsung announced that it would be looking over how to lower the price of the galaxy tab 10.1 and motorola followed for xoom.

Hopefully they make this more competitive now.

Id rather get the Xoom or Galaxy Tab 10.1 over the iPad. But at the price their just throwing everyone to the iPad. Especially when you can get one for 399 or approx 200 used lol.

I read there today that cause of the iPad first Samsung announced that it would be looking over how to lower the price of the galaxy tab 10.1 and motorola followed for xoom.

Hopefully they make this more competitive now.

Id rather get the Xoom or Galaxy Tab 10.1 over the iPad. But at the price their just throwing everyone to the iPad. Especially when you can get one for 399 or approx 200 used lol.

...And with that, I just for a good use for the crapple device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

I would agree that Apple's pricing on the iPad is super agressive. Margins on the thing must be razor thin. That said the iPad 16GB WiFi does lack 3G, 16GB of flash memory, at least 500 MB RAM and a few cm2 of screen real estate and a wee bit of resolution too. But it gains battery life, super thin form factor and the best app store. (Im sorry but this is true, even now for phones the AppStore is far superior in almost every way to Market - and there are close to 0 tablet apps right now although this will definitely change).

Apple is obviously buying in massive quantities, planning to ship 10+ million iPads this year, before the others are getting out of the traps.

Now the thing to balance up is if you need an SD card and a USB port and can justify the cash difference. For me the iPad specs represent the price tag. I think the Xoom might have a better chance at being the only machine. the iPad is not a stand alone device, both iOS and Android tablets are primarily consumption devices. But the apps available for the iPad make it a better creative device than the Xoom. Apple are pushing the boundaries more and more, with the likes of Garageband, iWork, iMove, etc for iPad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

bd250110 wrote: »
    ... Margins on the thing must be razor thin...

May not be as profitable as selling shoe box apartments in Lucan few years back, but they are still doing ok.

If that is accurate, it does beg the question what the hell Motorola and Samsung are playing at?
    I don't really see a killer feature on either tablet to make the price difference. to iPad starts at $499 (non 3g, 16 GB) the Xoom $800 (32GB, WiFi + 3G), the comparable iPad is $729. I know like-for-like the price difference is not huge, but at the end of the day you can get an iPad for 500, a Xoom costs 300 more. Motorola need a cheaper model to be able to compete effectively. I dont think a 16BG model has been officially announced?

As a current iPad 64BG WiFi + 3G user, I would get a 16GB WiFi only tablet next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

taking the price of the xoom out of the equation, would the xoom be suitable for my needs.

I'm heading away for 7 months in June travelling, and while I had originally intended bringing a netbook as a source of photo back up, been able to watch movies and also to surf the net obv......I thought that getting either the ipad or ipad 2 would do just fine.

But then I realised that not only does the ipad/2 not have any SD card slot, it also has no USB port, which basically eliminates me getting it as I want to be able to upload photos directly to it via SD and also watch movies via external hard drive.

So then I came across the xoom, and while expensive, it has all the features that the ipad doesn't that Im looking for.

Yeah the choice of apps and all that isn't there yet but I can live with that.

I know you can't compare a netbook to an internet tablet.

Whats the release date for the xoom in Ireland(if there is even a release date at this stage)?

thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

The Xoom is a great device but Motorola really need to drop the price if they want to offer any type of competition to Apple.

Before the iPad 2 announcement the Xoom had a lot new features to boast but the ipad 2 has pretty much brought Apple back to the same level and with the price of ipad2 theres no real hope for the others.

It's a shame because I was hoping we'd see some competition this year.

• Advertisement

But then I realised that not only does the ipad/2 not have any SD card slot, it also has no USB port, which basically eliminates me getting it as I want to be able to upload photos directly to it via SD and also watch movies via external hard drive.

Not quite true. The iPad does not have a built-in SD Card slot or USB. Apple will happily sell you a dongle that does exactly what you are asking for.

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MC531?mco=MTc0MjU1ODU

Hope this helps.

bd250110 wrote: »
    Not quite true. The iPad does not have a built-in SD Card slot or USB. Apple will happily sell you a dongle that does exactly what you are asking for.

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MC531?mco=MTc0MjU1ODU

Hope this helps.

Will it be able then to play movies from an external hard drive using this method? I plan on bringing about 250GB of compressed movies which I then plan to copy over to the ipad as I want them, then delete afterwards.

Can video be transfered using the above connectors as well?

thanks for the info btw.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Will it be able then to play movies from an external hard drive using this method? I plan on bringing about 250GB of compressed movies which I then plan to copy over to the ipad as I want them, then delete afterwards.

thanks for the info btw.

You're such a fanboy Carlo :p

Get something where you don't have to convert them to play in the first place. Get a netbook or something for travelling. More storage space, more robust, less prone to scratching, can do more. Less pretty obviously, but more functional.

5starpool wrote: »
    You're such a fanboy Carlo :p

Get something where you don't have to convert them to play in the first place. Get a netbook or something for travelling. More storage space, more robust, less prone to scratching, can do more. Less pretty obviously, but more functional.

Dom you little ****! :)

I was on to Danny the past few days, and am more than likely going with the motorola xoom which can do all the above built in.

Have a netbook, but just can't be arsed bringing as its quite bulky compared to a tablet...and I'm on a mission to travel with just a small 30 liter pack so weight/size issues also come into play.

Note: The only apple product I've ever owned is my current iphone 4 :)

hope your keeping well mate!

thanks for the info btw.

You're welcome.

Unfortunately iOS does not have a file system that can handle that kind of thing. There is no "Finder" or "Explorer" like the desktop OS have. Sadly this can't be done, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

I don't think the Xoom has a usb which works in host mode:
    http://androidforums.com/xoom-support-troubleshooting/285859-anyone-confirm-if-usb-host-xoom.html

So, it probably best to just use a laptop if you want to bring a 250GB drive with movies and watch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

Looking looking at TechCrunch's discussion of the Xoom v iPad2.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/03/05/ipad-2-xoom-fight/

Basically, the Xoom is rushed to market in their opinion, crashes etc. I don't think I will be getting one after looking at this, though they will no doubt be much cheaper in a few months and Google/Motorola/AppDevelopers will have fixed the stability/bugs etc, so maybe at that point.

...And one more:

A nice full review of the Xoon as well as Android 3.0 from androidpolice.com

Motorola XOOM + Android 3.0 Review: Sweet As Honey

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/03/05/motorola-xoom-android-3-0-review-sweet-as-honey/

Any confirmed price for the uk/ireland market yet, as well as a release date?

Am very tempted by the ipad 2 but I'm hoping that if I went with an android tablet that there would be alot more scope down the line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Any confirmed price for the uk/ireland market yet, as well as a release date?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/motorola-xoom-internet-tablet-now-available-for-pre-order-09752543-pdt.html

PC World (UK only) are accepting preorders at £499 for the 32Gb Wifi version and are meant to be shipping on the first week of April. I haven't seen them advertised anywhere else in UK / Ireland.

• Advertisement

500 quid....nasty!! Only 600 bucks. Think I'll wait 4my trip to the states before I make that purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

$600 is €429 according to XE.com

I think I'll be buying mine in the states next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'm heading to the states in May. Will pick up either the Xoom or the 10 inch Galaxy tab. Whatever is cheaper (wifi only of course).

The specs of the Xoom are incredible though so should be able to run the next few versions of the tablet OS.

heebusjeebus have U heard anything on the release of the Galaxy 10 inch? I am with you there though, it's going to be one or the other for me, and I won't be buying it here either that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Great new promo video of the Galaxy 10.1 here still want one! :)

Nice viral. So disappointed that they haven't added a proper USB port, other than that I am all over it like a rash. Oh well :( Still beats the irag by a country mile.

heebusjeebus have U heard anything on the release of the Galaxy 10 inch? I am with you there though, it's going to be one or the other for me, and I won't be buying it here either that's for sure.

I've not heard anything specific about the Sammy but I'm hoping it will be out by the time I hit the states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Rumours of a 10 inch HTC Tablet as well - looks like June time. Might see if its worth waiting for
    http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/android-tablet-news/10480-rumor-android-tablet-lineup-leaked-includes-unknown-10-inch-htc-tablet.html

Wifi version available close to the end of March in the States

http://gizmodo.com/#!5782477/motorola-xoom-wi+fi-available-march-27-for-599

Definately going to get one now if only to make some use of the tethering on my Desire :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

That 10 inch galaxy tab is a really nice looking machine. Probably be a bit cheaper than the xoom too when it eventually gets here.

I'm bored at work this morning so am watching all the Xoom videos i can find on Youtube. Here is an interesting one comparing the iPad 2 with Xoom.
    Xoom holds up pretty well all things considered and the negatives with the Xoom will all be smoothed out in future updates to the OS (flash, stability).

Bottom line for me is that there is nothing interesting with iPad. Nothing to geek out over. I'm looking forward to the Xoom more than any other electronic device in the past few years.

11x0318n834ghsd.jpg

From Engadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

CombatCow wrote: »
    11x0318n834ghsd.jpg

From Engadget

that acer looks to be a nice propostition if its got 3g, 7 inches is a handy size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Where do LG think they're going. €850??? 3D or no 3D that's a pretty hefty price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭JAMM222

i like the look of the eeepad anyone know when these will be available in ireland i am dying to buy a tablet

• Advertisement

Might have the option to get a wifi xoom in the states when it comes out on the 27'th. Will cost €420 im very very tempted.

Might have the option to get a wifi xoom in the states when it comes out on the 27'th. Will cost €420 im very very tempted.

Do you know if it would be possible to bring more than one home? I'm heading over there in May and will definitely get one for myself. I'm just wondering how easy it would be to get a second one back and avoid getting nabbed by customs in Dublin airport.

Iv heard people unboxing their electronics to avoid customs on the trip back. Maybe bring/buy a cheapo "10 laptop sleeve and bring the xoom as carry on. Chuck away the box and keep the manuals and whatnot and put the other in your check-in luggage in a sleeve too. Oh and hide the receipt :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

its likely we wont get it here, vodafones now listing the samsung tab instead of the xoom

Currys have the wifi one marked at £499 and Carphone Warehouse £599 for the 3G/wifi at the moment... but yeah I haven't heard about any Irish retailer set to stock it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement