Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi in France

Options
  • 22-01-2011 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Can anybody tell me how to go about getting wireless broadband in France without a telephone line please?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Is it for a 2nd home or just a pay as you go thing cos you're over there for a few weeks?
    Quick googling for "Free wifi in france for tourists" Pulled me up a few maps of wifi hotspots. Most cafes in Paris at least and the larger cities will also have free wifi. Afraid I don't know much more about it than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 oscarvictor

Thank you so much for that dr.bollocko - we have a cafe nearby that we can visit and use the internet on our laptop. We spend a lot of time there during the year in a family house so would like it to be available in the house 24/7. However, can I get find a source for an internet connection without hooking up to French Telecom Line Rental - which is a nightmare with long contracts. I only want to use the internet - don't need a phone line! Help!!!!! Please!!!!!!:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

However, can I get find a source for an internet connection without hooking up to French Telecom Line Rental - which is a nightmare with long contracts.

In France you only need the telephone line to get the access, once you have it you can then get rid of it. In Paris you often don't even need to line at all (I have fiber optic access).

Companies like www.free.fr will handle all the paperwork so you don't ever have to interact with FT.

It will cost you about €20 a month though, even when you're not in the country.

Hi Ponster - that is brilliant - going there this week and if successful will post an update. I had bad experience with FT before and found it difficult to cancel the contract so reluctant to do so again. Thank you so much!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

No problems. Remember that it'll be a lot easier if you already have a FT phone connection in the house (i.e. the house used to have a phone at some stage), otherwise free will get FT to send out an engineer to have it installed.

If you can find the phone number of of neighbor (or the cafe next door) then you can test to see what is available from what companies from this site.

A wifiMAX option may also be available depending on where in the country you are.

• Advertisement

Ponster - Brilliant, thank you. Will chase up some telephone numbers - cafe is a great idea too!!! Our area code is 66700 - it's way down South and would not be anything like Paris for latest technology, I think. Will try Wifi Max also. Just to get a handle on it is great. Will let you know how I get on.

Advertisement